Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

not ls1 but double your hp at 8psi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to consider is what was manifold pressure when it was naturally aspirated?

If it had a restrictive intake tract, and was not seeing 100kpa @WOT, (say it saw 85kpa), than 8psi of boost would have been a gain starting at 85kpa, and not 100kpa.

This is one reason why hp per lb of boost gains are usually greater at lower boost levels, vs higher boost levels.

You also have to consider engine efficiency and cyl head airflow potential. I'm assuming the 5cyl engine is 4 valve/cyl? If so, it would certainly pick up more hp per lb of boost vs an older engine with 2 valve heads that didn't flow as well.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you need to also take into consideration the amount of power being gained from the exhaust work and intake work as well. Obviously all things being equal the only way its going to double the power is to double the amount of air being taken in, but it it has an extremely restrictive intake and exhaust setup from the factory, then a lot of the power gain could be attributed to the better flowing components. does that make sense?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

You must be talking about the Chevy Colorado turbo kit. That kit looks awesome, check out these pics...

Check out: http://www.coloradofans.com
Attached Thumbnails not ls1 but double your hp at 8psi?-turbo-01.jpe   not ls1 but double your hp at 8psi?-turbo-002.jpe   not ls1 but double your hp at 8psi?-turbo-03.jpe   not ls1 but double your hp at 8psi?-turbo-04.jpe   not ls1 but double your hp at 8psi?-turbo-17.jpe  

Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
if the motor was high compression to start off, and they are using race gas.

i'm thinking that 8psi boost on a car with 14:1 compression would have twice the increase as 8psi on a car with 7:1 if you can follow me there.
I don't follow that.

Sure same boost on a higher CR engine will produce more power. But if this had a STOCK engine then the CR must have remained constant.

If all things remain constant it will take 1 atmosphere above normal atmospheric conditons to double the power.

1 atmosphere = 1 bar or 14.7psi

however things are not normally equal, as heat and other considerations will usually degrade the achievement. Other mods of course can help even it up a little.

I think the easiest way this was done. Is by producing a relatively LOW baseline number. Maybe on a Mustang dyno on a hot day (or using correction factors to the same). It's very easy to smooth and correct the graph.

Do the mods, chuck in some 100+octane fuel slap it on a Dynojet and again pervert the correction calculations.

Thus it all looks genuine, as in reality they would have dyno'd each number. However it would still be pointless and total BS

Quick Reply: not ls1 but double your hp at 8psi?