Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Would you build a 408ci TT or purchase a Viper and TT it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stay away from Hennessey (he is the only guy that would have the ***** to charge $225K for a TT/Engine/misc setup), if you want to TT a Viper...his work can be good or it can be bad. Some N/A guys have dynod their $30K+ cars only to find that their cars made little more than stock. Even getting what you paid for (TT setup) is a hit/miss proposition. He has had former customers that he's screwed over arrested when they confronted him. Hell, one guy sent him his brand new car and $150+K for a TT/Stroker setup...not only did the guy not get his car, but hennessey sold OEM parts off of the car. When it came time to TT my car, despite all the magazine coverage he has rec'd, he wasn't even a remote consideration.
Funny thing is, there are a number of Viper guys lining up to pay him to work on their cars...go figure.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VINCE
Will the TTi X kit support big cubes? I thought it had T3's instead of T4's?
Yes, the X kit will work well on a big cube motor. There are several 402, 408, 422, and 427's running the X kit. It'll make more than enough power to destroy your driveline.

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
tti x kit is the race kit right? i would assume they would make it so you could fit an 80 mm turbo or bigger in there? or is the tti x kit for the vette a twin kit?
The X kit is the Corvette kit which is totally different than the TTi street or race setups for the F-body.

Mark
Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

aren't Viper parts just Dodge parts since a similar pushrod motor is also in their Viperized trucks?

guess it would depends on what breaks.

maintenance parts can't be crazy unique. it's only a Dodge.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Launching!

my brother has the worlds only single turbo viper (its a gts). complete with stroker motor and all the goodies, its been on the street for a year now. i have a 408 zo6 vette. i can honestly say the viper is ridiculous, stoopid, insane ,and very dangerous. the vette is very fast, but nuthin compares to being able to smoke a 1 liter bike at partial throttle (i know ill catch flack for it but hey its the truth, dont like the truth i dont care!) it would smoke the 408 even if i had a 400 shot

we thought about twins but the thought of a single large frame 100mm plus t6 flange turbo being fed by 510 cubes is just more appealing . we will be in the process of taking it to the track soon for some test and tune (im sure it will run like a bat outta hell if we can put the power down and if we dont hurt ourselves or the car)

the 408 is built for spray i have never sprayed it ..... i drive both on a semi daily basis, even in the houston heat the single does really well. if ne one intrested in a look at the viper we are normally out wends and roll by taco cabana on westhimer

to sum it up the viper isnt really like the vette. the vette is much more a daily driver (comfort wise). if you can afford the $viper$ with $turbos$ go with that. if you want a fast as hell car you can live with on a daily basis with out giving up ne comfort get the vette with a 408 add some boost or spray (maybe both!!).

hope i was of some help
Old 12-05-2005, 10:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by skunk50
aren't Viper parts just Dodge parts since a similar pushrod motor is also in their Viperized trucks?

guess it would depends on what breaks.

maintenance parts can't be crazy unique. it's only a Dodge.
One would think...any rational person would think the same thing. My experience was quite different. I was quoted ~ $12K for an installed forged rebuild on a Viper S/B. Hows this for an example...full gasket setup...>$500. I about fell off my chair when I looked at the bill and saw that one.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yeah. aren't the headers like $1200 for a Viper? ouch.

personally, i just think it's the MFG making money on the namebrand. like buy the Armani of cars or some ****. granted that there aren't as many Vipers vs. Fbodies on the road, thus the less demand....but the headunit or the turbo is the same...just different piping.

my friend's s/c for his '99 NSX was $14,500. wtf? only 6psi too.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Default wtf? sorry off topic...

sorry but damn EARL i wish my sig said that!

take a picture of your garage!

Louie
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of course you know that you'll have a monster either way. I would probably stick with the Vette because I think Vettes sound A LOT better than Vipers...they just don't have the deep rumble of a V8.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

i like the looks of a vette better, but you cant dispute the cubes of a viper, in the end greater displacement wins for power every time.
here is what a local is doint to his old supercharged viper, didnt make enough power in the supercharged form.

how the heck can i compete with that, luckily for me he bought alot of bends, and i bought some one he didnt need of him cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Would you build a 408ci TT or purchase a Viper and TT it?-dsc04753.jpg   Would you build a 408ci TT or purchase a Viper and TT it?-dsc04749s.jpg   Would you build a 408ci TT or purchase a Viper and TT it?-dsc04752s.jpg  
Old 12-06-2005, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

keep the vette to d/d (of course send to lingenfelter to tt) and buy a stock ferrari or lambo to pimp in.. something that doesnt sound like crap.

also i would really like a garage
Old 12-06-2005, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Smokin,
That engine bay is SICK!

If I had tons of extra cash kicking around I'd certainly do a TT Viper over a TT vette. The GTS not only looks killer, but will also make more power, and it will hold its value better.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Launching!

viper, hands down!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

your vette has already has the 408, just go with a big single turbo. your driveline should be ok, you mainly do roll races anyway.

you'll have to sell your vette and lose a lot of money that you put into it, then start with a more expensive platform. Unless you got a lot of money and dont know what to do with it, I'd stay with c5 platform.

what's the matter sick of nitrous??? just add more juice! that's the cheapest option of all.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
your vette has already has the 408, just go with a big single turbo. your driveline should be ok, you mainly do roll races anyway.

you'll have to sell your vette and lose a lot of money that you put into it, then start with a more expensive platform. Unless you got a lot of money and dont know what to do with it, I'd stay with c5 platform.

what's the matter sick of nitrous??? just add more juice! that's the cheapest option of all.
A big single would be cool, but how many big single C5's do you see around? I am not selling my C5 because I own it. The only bad thing about the nitrous is I have to keep finding nitrous locations. Nitrous is used so much around here that you have to drive all around town to find someone that has it.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by INTMD8
If I had the money, I would build a TT viper over a TT C5, but we're talking a huge difference in price.

(Like almost completing the Vette for the purchase cost of the viper)

If money is no object, I would personally start with a 996 and make it crazy.
why build a twin turbo anything when you have your car??? ...even if you DID have all the money.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you canm afford it I would go with the TT Viper. Not to take anything away from the vettes, but from a sheer intimidation factor the Viper is king. Although I will say, not knowing your budget, that an C6 Z06 TT would be a devistating vehicle. Perhaps not the head turner to the average joe. But you'd scare anyone who know anything about cars half to death.

I wish I were in a position to grapple with such difficult decisions... ahhh someday.

With the amount of money you're talking about, you also might want to consider gutting the vette and making it a strict race car and then picking up a Ferrari or something more exotic to cruise in and enjoy on the weekends.

Mike
Old 12-06-2005, 11:21 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by VINCE
A big single would be cool, but how many big single C5's do you see around? I am not selling my C5 because I own it. The only bad thing about the nitrous is I have to keep finding nitrous locations. Nitrous is used so much around here that you have to drive all around town to find someone that has it.
go buy a scale and a pump and few big bottles, matter of fact you could buy the whole shop that sells nitrous for what a nice TT viper costs LOL.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Vince, if you go viper, sell me your FRC w/no engine
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

If money was no object I would do the TT Viper. If not, I'm sure Futral will give you a good deal to redue your 408 for boost plus a TT kit for the vette.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Keep the vette man, Vipers are ugly and uncomfortable to drive in.

You have a good builder and good resources in this community as well.

Cheers,
Chris

ps- Your 408 with 8:1 pistons, turbo cam and a T88 single kit would be sick

Cheers,
Chris

Quick Reply: Would you build a 408ci TT or purchase a Viper and TT it?