Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Are you satisfied w/ your STS setup?
Yes?
79.63%
No?
20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Yeah, Another STS post.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes... brake boosting works for A4's... even better with a Tq converter. Just hold the break, press the gas... the enging will begin to load (Dont mash it to the floor, keep it just before the tires break loose) and the turbo will begin to spool.

Us M6 guys have to use a 2-Step.

Jared
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Yes... brake boosting works for A4's... even better with a Tq converter. Just hold the break, press the gas... the enging will begin to load (Dont mash it to the floor, keep it just before the tires break loose) and the turbo will begin to spool.

Jared
whats a two step? only two steps i know is the dance and the dave matthews song.

nice car btw jared. yours is definately one of my favorite f-bodies i've seen
Old 12-18-2005, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by longrange4u

Jared
Well, what was describe was something to the effect of putting the gar in nuetral and rev the engine up, brake, put the car in drive and since it's revved up it holds the vacuum a little higher and is closer to building boost off the line. Sound stupid?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reocamaro
Well, what was describe was something to the effect of putting the gar in nuetral and rev the engine up, brake, put the car in drive and since it's revved up it holds the vacuum a little higher and is closer to building boost off the line. Sound stupid?
I hate your car, it tried to eat my arm!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Wow, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You will grenade your tranny. Go for it.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Get a Transbrake and a big cooler then you can do the same thing without a transbreak.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
Get a Transbrake and a big cooler then you can do the same thing without a transbreak.
i'm with him... but anyone know what a 2 step is?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:55 PM
9 Second Club

Ok... first... POWERBREAKING is not the same as Reving it up and slaming it into drive. DO NOT DO THAT OR KISS YOUR 4L60e Gooooood bye with sticky tires.

Ok look.... you are in an automatic... press and hold the break. (You can test this in a parkinglot) Slowly press the gas and you will feel the car begin to push against the front breaks... depending if you have a aftermarket torque converter (A good thing to get) will determine what RPM's your engine will climb to before the rear tires begin to spin. You do not want to simply mash on the gas... build to where it is raising RPM's under load but not spinning tires... the more build you can get, the more your turbo will spool while you are standing still (The aftermarket torque converter will help this allot). When you seel the last yellow light on the tree... let of the break... mash the gas. And you go down the track....

As for the 2-Step... I have talked about them and so has many other people. Y2KHawk builds them... Stenoid (Sponsor) carries his products when they are availble. If you have an M6 and want to know what a 2-Step is use the Search this Forum button and type 2-Step.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Hey, no harm no foul. I certainly wasn't going to try that. It seemed like it would break something. I just threw that out that because that was the latest thing I heard, and since I've never heard of it before I wanted to know how dangerous that was.

And, at first, I was going for confidentiality but now I just want to know why those people that clicked no did that. Is it tuning? Craftsmanship? Installation?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think what that article was saying was to rev the motor in neutral, this for some reason increases the amount of vacuum. Then let the motor come to an idle, while holding the brake pedal to the floor. In essence, the higher vacuum will hold the brakes "harder" allowing these guys to rev a little higher against the torque converter. That's what I got out of it anyway.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have a stock car w/ the exception of the STS? Because I was told 475 is impossible w/ 6 - 6.5 lbs of boost. So maybe something was broken that was raising your boost beyond what you set it. I know right now I'm making about 420 w/ 5# of boost so maybe there's something he skipped in the tuning.

PS. FOR ANYONE. I read in the latest GM High Tech about how the sy/ty owner's usually do what's referred to as Brake Boosting w/ their auto's. Would that work w/ the STS setup?

There's a stock TA down at Synergy Motorsports (with a custom cam) with the GT-67 and I know he was making about 490tq and 470-475hp. on 6.5psi.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jv_Z28
There's a stock TA down at Synergy Motorsports (with a custom cam) with the GT-67 and I know he was making about 490tq and 470-475hp. on 6.5psi.
Well, that's w/ a custom cam. I'm talkin' bone stock. Maybe there is something wrong w/ our boost controllers. I'm going to track down some more vacuum leaks, I have two pretty small leaks coming from where the Y-pipe meets the headers. Also, while I'm attracting some attention with this thread I've been trying to figure out the benefit of upgrading my 60-1 to the GT-67.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

My car is not stock I have mac headers w/ory, asp pulley, ported tb & maf and spec stg3 clutch w/billet steel flywheel. The car was dynoed before the turbo install and put 350 to the wheels w/stock tune.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

9 no's and not a SINGLE explination. I'm thinking the sts haters are jacking the poll.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Isn't there a way to see who's voting no?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

The sy/ty guys need that extra clamping force on the front brakes because of the all wheel drive.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Launching!

I'm very pleased with mine. I would say that the only thing that concerns me is the clearance issue of the piping. Having SFCs, it greatly reduced the tuck-up factor so I have to be extremely careful not to hook any smelly coon carcasses or speed bumps. Heck, I'm finding that I cant even go to a 10 min oil change shop or automatic car washes because of the guard rails. Oh well, small sacrifices to make for an insanely fun street car. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a couple more inches of clearance?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jv_Z28
That sounds similar to my numbers....

Bone stock (Gutted cats, GT67, no intercooler, no boost controller, stock cam, dyno tuning), it put down 430hp and 460tq on 6psi

After some adjustments (FMIC, STS boost controller, custom Synergy-Spec cam, re-tuning of course to take advantage of the new goodies), it now puts down 480hp and 460tq on low boost (6psi)

Though these numbers may not help trod, they may help out reocamaro with the decision to go with the GT67.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:27 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I may just go w/ the GT-67. I'm just having a problem w/ mine sustaining a constant hp up top. My curves look like some boost leak off because the turbo doesn't want to hold anything up top. I don't know. I'm just a rookie at this **** anyway.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

hmm. do you guys wish that the turbo was front mounted? Is that one thing you think you'd like a little more about the kit, if it was front mounted? I know thats not an STS then, but im curious how satisfied you guys are with having the turbo rear mounted... like it? Any lowered guys?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Quick Reply: Yeah, Another STS post.