Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Copying the Incon TT kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005 | 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
I did'nt have a clue about the prior deeds of their employee...

Also I dont think just a pair of manifolds will amount to several thousand dollars...

Comp is'nt the only company. Try buying anything mail order and say I will pay you after it has been delivered..
I am well aware of this, but you're still missing the point. We are talking about up-front deposits so the company has the funds to R&D a turbo manifold design, before it is ever produced, in order to get the kit during the first shipment. From what I have seen of their work it is truly top notch, and I would not hesitate to order something once they enter the production phase of things. BUT, like i said, I would not send them a deposit on a system which they are just beginning to develop.
Old 12-22-2005 | 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

What happened to the old Incon design plans/whatnots? Can't another batch be run or was all that sold off to Lingenfelter?

Mark
Old 12-22-2005 | 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

time for a poll.
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phate
LOL, funny that the company that employs Dave Inall is offering to make the cast manifolds...classic.

I was thinking the same thing. I would strongly encourage people stay away from that no-good, money-theivin', porchmonkey mother ******.
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Again, I had no problems with APS at all. I would recommend them based on how they treated me.

Jody
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RyanJ
The only way anyone is going to make money is if Peter/APS can get the cast molds cheap and sell them as is and alone. I can see people paying $1300-1500 for cast manifolds, but a whole kit would get unruley real quick. In terms of price and development.

I can probably do tubular for that price.
Old 12-22-2005 | 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

Notice the double slip collector and ball joints on the primaries?

Nicely done, there's a huge amount of work in those fabricated SS manifolds.

Peter
Old 12-22-2005 | 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RyanJ
The only way anyone is going to make money is if Peter/APS can get the cast molds cheap and sell them as is and alone. I can see people paying $1300-1500 for cast manifolds, but a whole kit would get unruley real quick. In terms of price and development.
If there's enough genuine interest for many sets of high quality cast ductile iron CNC machined turbo exhaust manifolds to suit ther F body I would be prepared to make new production tooling and stock the turbo manifolds. If guys have a genuine interest in the turbo manifolds please pm me and I will see if there's sufficient interest/numbers to produce the manifolds, cost for a pair of machined manifolds would be approx $1400.

Peter
Old 12-22-2005 | 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Nicely done, there's a huge amount of work in those fabricated SS manifolds.

Peter
I a have'nt done anything that elaborate.. I have used the place that made those components to fab simpler stuff and repair/alter OE tubular designs that failed.

I can match their welds and buy their parts so I could build those if I needed to...
Old 12-22-2005 | 06:26 PM
Teching In

go here
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296...23938325&lk=URL

to see good pics of the manifolds.
If any one needs more pics I have a bunch.

I think LPE has put the 2837's on 427's at low boost, but I don’t think the turbos can handle large ci setups. The 37's are said to make up to 900+rw but know one has proved it yet. We know for sure the smaller 2835 turbos make 700 and can go 9's.
Old 12-22-2005 | 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

peter,
I ahve a questions for ya about the manifolds. If you were to make the manifolds what kind turbos would hang off of it? Cause from what I understand the Incon turbos were EXPENSIVE, if it could be made with a standard t3 or t4 flange, assuming the turbo would fit. Cause if you could sell manifolds for say 1500, and both turbos could be had for say 1000 (which from what ive seen on ebay is doable) I think this could be successful if turbos could be had affordably.

I think there are enough people 'enamoured' with the incon myth (most have proven it true though) that there would be interest and sales.

plus one good thing fer ya, is you have inside information
ed
Old 12-22-2005 | 07:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69firebird
peter,
I ahve a questions for ya about the manifolds. If you were to make the manifolds what kind turbos would hang off of it?
If I were doing the project I would recommend GT series water cooled dual ball bearing turbochargers with the T28 style single entry port.

Cause from what I understand the Incon turbos were EXPENSIVE, if it could be made with a standard t3 or t4 flange, assuming the turbo would fit.
I very much doubt that T3 or T4 sized turbine housings would fit in that original incon turbo position, I don't that for sure though it's my best guess.

Cause if you could sell manifolds for say 1500, and both turbos could be had for say 1000 (which from what ive seen on ebay is doable) I think this could be successful if turbos could be had affordably.
What type/brand of gasoline turbocharger is available for say $500 US? You will need a turbo with an inconel turbine wheel and NiResist ductile iron turbine housing otherwise the turbo will fail for sure, it's just a matter of time.

Peter
Old 12-22-2005 | 08:34 PM
Launching!

I very much doubt that T3 or T4 sized turbine housings would fit in that original incon turbo position, I don't that for sure though it's my best guess.
The CAS kit used T3/T4 hybrids tucked up even higher alongside the engine... from what I hear, the Incon location actually had more room for the turbos.

CAS:

incon:

What type/brand of gasoline turbocharger is available for say $500 US? You will need a turbo with an inconel turbine wheel and NiResist ductile iron turbine housing otherwise the turbo will fail for sure, it's just a matter of time.
You have EXACTLY the right thinking for 'vette owners, but the wrong for the majority of the f-body crowd. Most F-body guys are younger, have less money, and like to tinker themselves. Look at how quickly these guys turn over their equipment. Keeping it with the T3/T4 turbos that are readily available for us allow us to keep playing with turbo sizing and such... so that we feel we have our own "recipe". Having us stick with the T28 turbos "locks" us in a lot more because anything less than the "biggest" T28's are really going to choke off the engine.
Old 12-22-2005 | 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Peter,
I totally understand what your saying about the quality of the components. However I think in a DIY style setup a cheaper turbo is a must. How much do those t28's run?

Its different having the ability to upgade with a T3 housing or use something less expensive, and have the ability. There are alot of people that have the ability to drop 1500 at a time, however the ability to drop $5k+ is out of reach for alot on the board.

I like your philosophy of using the best, however using the best drives the cost up, and alot of times out of the budget of most people. Take for example your GTO kit, it is an absolute work of art, however its priced like a picaso. It is out of the reach of a good portion of the target market for the car.

id be interested in a kit that is this quality, however if I could get the manifolds, and then put a deent sized t3 turbo on them, that I can get anywhere and work the rest of the piping myself.

unfortuantly alot of these decisions are cost based
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

Peter,
I totally understand what your saying about the quality of the components. However I think in a DIY style setup a cheaper turbo is a must.
Understood. What I don't understand how anyone can talk about $500 turbochargers which have inconel turbine wheels and NiResist turbine housings, where do these come from?
How much do those t28's run?
The turbos we run are GT series dual balling water coloed units, these start from approx $1200 per turbo for a smallish unit going up to approx $1800 for a 450 to 500 HP unit. These turbos are designed for gasoline operation and will stay together at high pressure ratios and at high EGT.
Its different having the ability to upgade with a T3 housing or use something less expensive, and have the ability. There are alot of people that have the ability to drop 1500 at a time, however the ability to drop $5k+ is out of reach for a lot on the board.
Understood. Though whats the point to turbocharging if you don't start with the correct grade materials, the turbocharger is likely to fail prematurely and then you have to replace the turbo in the future anyway, a false economy starting with the incorrect spes turbo imho.
I like your philosophy of using the best, however using the best drives the cost up, and alot of times out of the budget of most people. Take for example your GTO kit, it is an absolute work of art, however its priced like a picaso. It is out of the reach of a good portion of the target market for the car.
True, though imho there's no point to turbocharging if expensive parts like turbo manifolds and turbochargers are going to fail in the short term because of poor engineering practices and also by using inferior materials for high performance gasoline engine applications.
id be interested in a kit that is this quality, however if I could get the manifolds, and then put a deent sized t3 turbo on them, that I can get anywhere and work the rest of the piping myself.
What confuses me is where can you buy a large gasoline turbocharger with a Niresist turbine housing and inconel turbine wheel for $500, I honestly do not believe that this is possible for the price.
unfortuantly alot of these decisions are cost based
Thanks for the info and I agree that these decisions for the F body are purely price based. I just don't like to see turbocharging get a bad reputation because of poorly specified materials though I certainly understand the motivation behind a low cost turbo option for the F body.

Merry Xmas

Peter
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

For a back of block mount like that.. Use a mitsu flange... .70 A/R Vband with ext gate V band.. Stainless... Skip the polish. They are compact and high flowing

Old 12-22-2005 | 09:44 PM
FormerVendor

For a back of block mount like that.. Use a mitsu flange... .70 A/R Vband with ext gate V band.. Stainless... Skip the polish. They are compact and high flowing

Some good pics though what does the turbocharger cost when new? For what's it worth I very much doubt that those modified turbine housing will last very long in a high power gasoline application, I saw some turbos like these on a TT Mustang last year in Dubai, turbos lasted 4 months and had massive thermal failure of the turbine housing, you get what you pay for imho.

You can have low cost, high performance, and high reliability. Now pick any two.

Peter
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

peter,
not trying to split hairs, I never said you could get TI, NI, or any other I kind of turbo for that price. I dont know, I was just looking around ebay and say it, the pricing may have been off in my post.
mary X-mas to you as well
THanks
ed
firebird455@gmail.com
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Understood. Though whats the point to turbocharging if you don't start with the correct grade materials, the turbocharger is likely to fail prematurely and then you have to replace the turbo in the future anyway, a false economy starting with the incorrect spes turbo imho.
Hey Peter, I think the idea here is that typical fbod guys are living from paycheck to paycheck and will buy a $500 turbo much quicker than a $1500 one simply due to the fact that they are more likely to have the funds on hand. Not smart but that is how it goes.

Perhaps the manifolds could have a bolt on adapter that would take care of both worlds? It may not matter because size is going to be an issue especially on the passenger side.
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Some good pics though what does the turbocharger cost when new? For what's it worth I very much doubt that those modified turbine housing will last very long in a high power gasoline application, I saw some turbos like these on a TT Mustang last year in Dubai, turbos lasted 4 months and had massive thermal failure of the turbine housing, you get what you pay for imho.

You can have low cost, high performance, and high reliability. Now pick any two.

Peter
HHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry but that was the last comment I expected for that part.

"Modified Turbine Housing"

That is cast from high grade Stainless steel specifically for racing aftermarket gasoline turbo systems and has been used to make over 700 whp FP3575 in that case thru just one of them w/o N20...

This is a 2.0 4cyl dyno with one FP3052.. The housing flows awesome and so does the ext gate system it would be great as a twin on a V8...

Hell I dont know why robert at FP does'nt just design a LS1 system....

Custom cast manifolds just like his turbine housings...

Having a modern cartridge with ball bearings and super efficient blades isn't going to do anyone any good if it doesn't bolt up. The existing 7cm^2 and 8cm^2 Mitsubishi turbine housings were not only too small for the GT30 turbine wheel, but mass production design compromises such as an offset non-symetric volute and poor material made them very undesirable. It was decided to abandon attempts to force them to work. Design work started on a totally new turbine housing. A truly perfect turbine housing worthy of the GT30 CHRA.

The result of the research is our race inspired totally symmetric volute scaled to perfectly match the dimensions of the GT30 turbine wheel. This larger housing incorporates a built in wastegate mount which offers simplified installation without compromising boost control like inferior internal wastegates. Boost pressure can be set as low as 14psi without ANY boost creeping at higher RPM.

Another feature of the housing is the turbine inlet. 60mm diameter and as smooth as an extrude honed housing throughout the entire volute, the FP30 housing does not require a $95 port job in order for it to perform properly! There has never been a housing like this available to the public.

To avoid a common problem with turbocharger exhaust housings, cracking, the FP30 turbine housing is investment cast in 310 stainless steel for high temperature strength and corrosion resistance. Test units in the field for almost two years showed no cracking or erosion. The FP30 turbine housing casting also offers a weight savings of almost 5 pounds over the OEM Mitsubishi 7cm^2 and 8cm^2 housings. To further simplify and reduce weight an F1 style low profile V-band clamp is used for main turbine discharge. V-band clamps are much lighter and quicker to connect than typical 4 and 5 bolt flanges. Kiss that crow foot 14mm wrench goodbye. A single 7/16 nut is all that stands between you and DP removal.

Quick Reply: Copying the Incon TT kit