Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Copying the Incon TT kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The V band flange on end of the wastegate tube is welded on... That is it.

The rest is a one piece stainless casting.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
The V band flange on end of the wastegate tube is welded on... That is it.

The rest is a one piece stainless casting.
I disagree that the turbo housing is a one piece stainless casting, clearly it's not as you can see where the turbine housing has been modified though we can just agree to disagree on this issue.

Merrry Xmas

Peter
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Umm where has it been modified...

Where the one weld is it has had a v band flange installed.. Here is one that has'nt been polished..

Old 12-24-2005, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

Umm where has it been modified...
have a good look at the pic below that you posted, clearly the turbine housing has been highly modified, imo that won't stay together for long in a high power application where there's continual high thermal loads on the turbine housing.

Peter
Old 12-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

It was custom cast not modified or fabricated..
Originally Posted by peter@aps
have a good look at the pic below that you posted, clearly the turbine housing has been highly modified, imo that won't stay together for long in a high power application where there's continual high thermal loads on the turbine housing.
Okay, you two could go in circles like this for days. Peter, what he is saying is not that it is a factory stock turbine housing, he is saying that it wasn't a modified factory turbine housing. The entire housing is custom made and it houses garret internals. The Wastegate outlet was not cut into and welded to an otherwise factory housing. The whole thing was designed with that port in it, it is cast and machined specifically for the manufacturer. Let's try to get back on target with the T28 Turbos. What is the reason why you seem so focused on sticking with the T28 turbo architecture? Just to keep very quick spool? Or space constraints? What is the max HP a system using the "biggest" T28 turbos available could make, because looking at the compressor maps for the GT28RS it looks like it is nowhere near being able to feed a big LS1 efficiently. What Turbos (specifics such as Wheels/housings etc) are capable of doing this while still retaining the T28 Turbine housing?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The largest I know of for a t28 based turbine housing and Garrett GT cartridge would be 550-570 hp. Slightly higher than the old Incon GTBB37 at 500hp. I don't think too many people have driven a true 600rwhp car much less worry about the fact a pair of t28 housings can only carry 950-1000rwhp. I know for a fact the Incon GTBB37 upgrade used in a standard Incon mustang kit made 875rwhp with .86 housings. I also know the GTBB35, standard Incon turbos(400hp/each) made 730rwhp on Jerry Crews' LPE 'vette with the small air/air intercoolers.

Peter, as far as the pictures shown above, I think it is merely a reflection of the polishing that makes it look like something was welded onto the housing. Looking at the pic with the mounted turbo shows no welding present other than what looks like the v-band connection to the WG.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MadBoost
The largest I know of for a t28 based turbine housing and Garrett GT cartridge would be 550-570 hp.
What model turbo is that? Not questioning or doubting, I just have very limited knowledge of T28 turbos. The largest of the commonly available ones i have seen can flow 37 lbs/min each (at a PR of around 2.6... less at PR's we would be using them for the associated flow rates) ... so 74 lbs/min for the pair which could support roughly 640 HP. Compare this to the "usual" turbo people are using in single turbo setups, the T-76 which flows 93 lbs/min. Clearly we know the incon turbos flowed better than this... I'm just not sure what commonly available turbos actually flow that much.

Last edited by XJGPN; 12-24-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Coal Mining Director

Current "t28's" are Garrett GT series. GT2871R is now equal to the "base" Incon and it flows 44lb/min each or 88 total. Only other internal wastegate that I know that will clear the frame (there may be others..Peter???) is the GT3071R with the -11 chra and it flows 50lbs/min or 100lbs total....both bolt up to the Incon manifolds and clear. With 0.86 turbine they should max around 750 and 875rwhp.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

that is perfect, a small turbo for really quick spool up but with enough to support over 800 rear wheel. I'd consider it! I know what I want for xmas NEXT year!
Old 12-25-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XJGPN
Okay, you two could go in circles like this for days. Peter, what he is saying is not that it is a factory stock turbine housing, he is saying that it wasn't a modified factory turbine housing. The entire housing is custom made and it houses garret internals. The Wastegate outlet was not cut into and welded to an otherwise factory housing. The whole thing was designed with that port in it, it is cast and machined specifically for the manufacturer. Let's try to get back on target with the T28 Turbos. What is the reason why you seem so focused on sticking with the T28 turbo architecture? Just to keep very quick spool? Or space constraints? What is the max HP a system using the "biggest" T28 turbos available could make, because looking at the compressor maps for the GT28RS it looks like it is nowhere near being able to feed a big LS1 efficiently. What Turbos (specifics such as Wheels/housings etc) are capable of doing this while still retaining the T28 Turbine housing?
Thank you..

The whole point of bringing them up is when starting from scratch why mess with the T28 flange and try to stretch it.. That is why things like the Fp30 turbine housing get designed. Why try to hog out a T28 turbine housing and try to run T3 wheels in it.. Which is exactly what that part was custom cast to do.. The OE turbo on that car IS a garret T25.. A T2 series.. FP recognized that they could only do so much with the T2 turbine housing and came up with a bolt on T3.. FP owns the high end DSM market.. There are other good shops but FP powers Shep, Blaha, Dennis Grant, Jeff hill, Cokic and many others.... You dont put that many cars in the single digits and have absolutely no failures if it is'nt built right..

Its just a tough, high flowing compact design that I feel would work well as a LS1 Twin turbo....

GM went to mitsubishi to get a turbo for the SyTy... One of their few factory turbocharged performance cars... These have turbos have even less in common with a mitsubishi turbo than them... It may use the same inlet gasket but the turbine housing was'nt made by garret.. Everyting else was..

I just think people need to look at what something really is as opposed to what it is called.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

here's an idea. Hey DSM V8 DSM dude, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about turbos, why don't you design something for us to have that will work?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Since its a winter wonderland here and nobody smart drives a high powered RWD car in the winter It will have to wait.

I have one TT fab and install lined up and will offer clones of the headers I am going to be custom building for it.

The use of a slip on collector will allow for a single primary design and many options for turbine housings via using different double slip collectors.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

cool man.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:53 PM
FormerVendor

What is the reason why you seem so focused on sticking with the T28 turbo architecture? Just to keep very quick spool? Or space constraints?
Both of the above, the GT series turbos ar very compact and have huge mass air flow whilst being extremely durable at high pressure ratios.

What is the max HP a system using the "biggest" T28 turbos available could make, because looking at the compressor maps for the GT28RS it looks like it is nowhere near being able to feed a big LS1 efficiently. What Turbos (specifics such as Wheels/housings etc) are capable of doing this while still retaining the T28 Turbine housing?
There's a 55 lb per minute GT turbocharger that will package into the compact T 28 turbine housing, two of these turbochargers are capable of approx 1100 hp, more than enough mass air flow for 99% of road cars imho.

Peter
Old 12-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Both of the above, the GT series turbos ar very compact and have huge mass air flow whilst being extremely durable at high pressure ratios.

There's a 55 lb per minute GT turbocharger that will package into the compact T 28 turbine housing, two of these turbochargers are capable of approx 1100 hp, more than enough mass air flow for 99% of road cars imho.

Peter
Do you sell it? Might be interested to upgrade my gt2871r's.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Peter, do you have more information on that 55 #/min turbo that fits in the incon packaging?

I am looking to purchase turbo's for my incomplete incon kit, and finding a good flowing turbos would be ideal.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

Ryan,
We can get those for you. Call me at the shop, 407-869-RACE, or talk to Gary about it next time you see him. I have been teaching him about turbos alot lately for his new engine setup.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

very interesting tom..

Quick Reply: Copying the Incon TT kit