Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sheetmetal intake for FI

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheetmetal intake for FI

Anyone experimented with sheetmetal intake vs. GMPP single plane carb intake and elbow?

I believe I read somewhere that Turbos don't like great big plenums, which this doesn't have.

Putting together Stenod Twin GT 40's, ET 265 heads, Solid roller 388 (4.125 x 3.622).

Can pick this intake up 1/2 off.

http://www.mrnitrous.com/LS-SPYDER%20MANIFOLD.htm
Old 01-07-2006, 10:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,213 Likes on 775 Posts

I've got a Beck sheetmetale intake to try at some point. I want to compare it to a single plane.

One expert said that the results might be the same, but the single plane might have better fuel distribution to all of the individual cylinders. Most sheetmetal intakes like a Beck have some compromise since most folks want them to fit under a stock hood without modifications. In the case of the Beck, the runners are not as long as some might want but as you know most single plane stuff requires either custom elbows to fit or hood and cowl modifications to fit.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

i have a sheetmetal intake i don't think it's that much diff than the single plane. but ill post up some #s as soon i as i dyno my new setup.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Teching In

I'm going to give it a go as well

It can't hurt to be able to port match this to some ET 265's.

Definately like to see some dyno #'s posted

Brad
Old 01-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I've got a Beck sheetmetale intake to try at some point. I want to compare it to a single plane.

One expert said that the results might be the same, but the single plane might have better fuel distribution to all of the individual cylinders. Most sheetmetal intakes like a Beck have some compromise since most folks want them to fit under a stock hood without modifications. In the case of the Beck, the runners are not as long as some might want but as you know most single plane stuff requires either custom elbows to fit or hood and cowl modifications to fit.
Is your friend going to try it?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/433123-my-friend-pretty-busy.html

I'm not a motor expert, but do deal with fluid (air) flow in my line of work.

I don't think runner length should have that much of an effect on FI applications, especially @ 20+PSI. I would think its more about making sure each cylinder gets fed the same. Buy having a plenum feed the runners they should get better and equal distribution.

An elbow directly above the intake cannot be the best. The air will tend crowd the outside radius and potentially starve the front cylinders.

As far as fuel distribution goes individual injectors are still placed at same spot.

I may be all wet....... but dynos don't lie......lets see some results posted

thanks

Brad
Old 01-08-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 422 ragtop
Is your friend going to try it?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433123

I'm not a motor expert, but do deal with fluid (air) flow in my line of work.

I don't think runner length should have that much of an effect on FI applications, especially @ 20+PSI. I would think its more about making sure each cylinder gets fed the same. Buy having a plenum feed the runners they should get better and equal distribution.

An elbow directly above the intake cannot be the best. The air will tend crowd the outside radius and potentially starve the front cylinders.

As far as fuel distribution goes individual injectors are still placed at same spot.

I may be all wet....... but dynos don't lie......lets see some results posted

thanks

Brad

Far as runner length, is veleocity still a factor even in FI setup? Im working on an intake and going to great pains and CAD to maintain long runner length by crossing over the the opposite side before joining the plenum. Also, I have read and researched that plenum volume on FI almost cannot be too large. Bigger the better.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Far as runner length, is veleocity still a factor even in FI setup? Im working on an intake and going to great pains and CAD to maintain long runner length by crossing over the the opposite side before joining the plenum. Also, I have read and researched that plenum volume on FI almost cannot be too large. Bigger the better.
Long runner lengths would help to get air flowing in a laminar (equal velocity across the runner) condition which would be ideal. If you then squeezed the air into a smaller area you would increase velocity with out much pressure (flow) loss. We are trying to optimize getting the air into the head which ultimately delivers it to the cylinder. It is probably more important to port match the head so it can do its job. If the (intake) port is too big or too small you will cause turbulence and create a negative pressure zone which will lower overall flow.

The LS 6 liter truck manifolds have long runners.....great for low end torque....but kill the motor at anything over 5000 RPM.

I agree with you on the plenum volume.....probably only a concern on NA applications.

Keep thinking out loud
Old 01-08-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe I read somewhere that Turbos don't like great big plenums
http://www.proturbokits.com/gallery/...ic=17&offset=9

http://www.proturbokits.com/gallery/...ic=11&offset=9

http://www.proturbokits.com/gallery/...ic=31&offset=9

http://www.proturbokits.com/gallery/...ic=67&offset=0

some decent sized plemuns.... they used to have soem more pics with other larger ones on the site
Old 01-08-2006, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The larger the plenum, the larger the reservoir of air for any 1 cylinder to draw from, without effecting another cylinder's ability to breathe. Big would appear to be a good thing.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive also read that you should have a larger plenum for FI, I think its Ideal volume should be like 1/3 your cubic inches, or something close to that I forget the exact number. Anyone else hear anything like that?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Hogan....427....GT55-91mm
Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Hogan....427....GT55-91mm

Quick Reply: Sheetmetal intake for FI