Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holes in ATI Fan shroud???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holes in ATI Fan shroud???

The blocked area that the ati Procharger Fan shroud causes a restriction in air to be able to flow through it .
What if the shroud was perforated in this area
I was thinking rows of small 1/2" holes,
my friend said to just cut a bunch of bigger 1-2" holes
but i would also not want to weaken the fan shroud
Let me know what you guys think, how would this affect the strength of the shroud? It looks like that the shroud's only job is to hold the fan so i dont think by drilling holes would hurt it .
I would most likley also install a pusher fan in front of the radiator on the blocked shroud sidetoo,

this should cool things down a bit.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the shrouds job is to seal the fan to the whole radiator core. If you drill holes in the shroud it wont work like that anymore.

While its true that with it sealed and the fan is running and the car is moving at speed you are limiting the amount of air that can move through the radiator to what the fan can move. The holes will help there but when you are idling/moving slow the holes will hurt.

Since the ATI shroud isnt well sealed drilling holes probably wont hurt or help much, best thing to do is use little flaps like the SPAL fan/shroud and a lot of OEMs use, At low speed when there isnt enough natural airflow the little flaps stay shut so the fan pulls air through the core, at speed the moving air pushes the little flaps open.

Quick Reply: Holes in ATI Fan shroud???