Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dan Bills at FLP does it again

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06gman
Oh I forgot.................yes that is on PUMP GAS 93 oct. 16lbs of boost. Also if you look real close you will see where the wheels spun on the dyno. I have 19" wheels. Even with it straped down hard and 450+ lbs sitting in the trunk it still was spinning. So really we don't know what it is putting down...YET
Congrats on the #'s!!! See ya on the streets .
Not sure but didnt you have a 383ci on the TT before.....? What happen?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Maybe you should understand what you're talking about before you type?? Manifold size won't get you around physics

the point of my post(which you missed) is that psi doesn't mean hp..its just a measurment of preassure in the intake manifold. why else would a evo need 35psi to make the same amount of power that a ls1 makes on 8psi? there are also other factors, such as engine displacement, vol. efficiency, turbo effciency...ect.

correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LINGENFELTER SS
Congrats on the #'s!!! See ya on the streets .
Not sure but didnt you have a 383ci on the TT before.....? What happen?
Yes we did have a 383 before. about 20lbs of boost happened to it that and a 3 bar software we were testing freaked out to the tune of 24 deg. of timing Well kind-of, the bore was out of round on top. 11-12 lbs it did show as much. So I went with the LS2 block, sleeved The power is close on the topend, however the power under the curve was much higher with the 408.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
the point of my post(which you missed) is that psi doesn't mean hp..its just a measurment of preassure in the intake manifold. why else would a evo need 35psi to make the same amount of power that a ls1 makes on 8psi? there are also other factors, such as engine displacement, vol. efficiency, turbo effciency...ect.

correct me if I'm wrong.
No, i didn't miss your point.

Dave was nice enough to point out that 13 psi on a 408 making 1K+ rwhp is rather hard to believe.

Apples to apples, boost pressure means HP.

Your EVO example doesn't help matters, since displacement vs boost is a HUGE factor. But same cubes to same cubes, and boost to boost, is what the original post was about.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Niiiice torque! That'll be a "850whp Supra" eating machine!

Did Dan ever fix his car?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Maybe you should understand what you're talking about before you type?? Manifold size won't get you around physics
Alright, i don't post here much if at all, but I just want to clarify, what physics are you talking about? From what I gather, the guy is just saying that with a bigger intake(more cross section in the heads and intake), you can make the same power with less boost because you relieve the restriction, is this incorrect?
I also think it is very possible to make 1000+rwhp on low boost, you just need pretty big heads and intake. I have read about a lot of guys making over 1000hp on low boost from 347's all the way up to 427's. Nevertheless, congrats on some awesome numbers, on pumpgas no less, but I am curious to see what numbers you get with a clean dyno pull.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by fasteddie911
Alright, i don't post here much if at all, but I just want to clarify, what physics are you talking about? From what I gather, the guy is just saying that with a bigger intake(more cross section in the heads and intake), you can make the same power with less boost because you relieve the restriction, is this incorrect?
I also think it is very possible to make 1000+rwhp on low boost, you just need pretty big heads and intake. I have read about a lot of guys making over 1000hp on low boost from 347's all the way up to 427's. Nevertheless, congrats on some awesome numbers, on pumpgas no less, but I am curious to see what numbers you get with a clean dyno pull.
The other guy said "****..you make a big enough intake manifold and you could get 1k hp with 5psi..." and that partly is what Harlan was referring to as to the physical merits (or lack thereof) of that guy's argument.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
Niiiice torque! That'll be a "850whp Supra" eating machine!

Did Dan ever fix his car?
What car are you talking about? The shop vette or his race car?
I think the rebuild on his race car is coming.........as far as the vette some year
Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont know if Dan told you or not but that thing is going down the track in the spring.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by maddboost
I dont know if Dan told you or not but that thing is going down the track in the spring.
OH REALLY, well it might slide down the track. When we get traction you know what is going to happen I will just make sure Dan is the one to break it so he can fix it
Old 02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fasteddie911

What heads and intake would we be talking about? Hell the era of that supposed 1045rwhp limits the selection to a couple of AFR heads and ported stock.
The Flywheel corrected HP put that at 3hp per cubic inch. On 13psi? Hahahaahahahahahahaahahahahah

Some people (like me) just get tired of people bashing others with blatent BS and for what?

I find it hard to believe Gman's on this guys short list.

Dave
Old 02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z06gman
What car are you talking about? The shop vette or his race car?
I think the rebuild on his race car is coming.........as far as the vette some year
I was talking about the race car Mustang.

Wasnt it done by a guy named JC?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
I was talking about the race car Mustang.

Wasnt it done by a guy named JC?
Dan from FLP built a lot of the car...

The chassis was all cut and fit by Dan, the only thing that Dan did not do is weld it. The tin work was done by Dan and a friend of his and JC's. The fuel system is Dan's design, and there are things on it you won't find on most race cars, every brake line was hand bent by Dan.
The single and twin turbo setup was completely designed by Dan as was the custom boost controller which is what made it fast.
Everything else was done by JC and Dan collectively. There are two things that Dan did not do, or help do. Paint and wiring. Dan had his hands in more aspects of that car a lot of race cars out there.

Dan is in the process building his new Mustang... a Pro 5.0 Mustang.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just wanted to say congrats on finishing it. I have been thinking about the gmr kit with that into price. You are making some awsome power for pump gas. Too bad you won't get to play with it for a while.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Exclamation

I can't believe that some people would make negative comments about this car. What do you have that is "better" than this car? And where do you draw the line with power? I mean really... how much power do you need anyway? This is a STREET CAR, guys... by far one of the baddest street cars out there. It spins the tires on the dyno badly!!! I'm sure that it would make over 1000 rwhp without any tire spin with 93 octane and the stock PCM. But who cares? I'm sure that C16 and Big Stuff 3 would get a little more power... but why? After all... it's a street car. I don't think you can pull into your local BP Amoco and get C16. Well... maybe in Schaumburg.

Why would he want to drive it home with a "dusting" of snow? Illinois over-salts the streets and this car would be trashed from the ride back home.

A few things about this car...
It has a front end conversion (tiger shark?)
It has a removable roof convesion (that's what I would do if I had a Z06)
It has some bad *** wheels
A wicked braking system
Custom racing seats
A custom twin turbo system on a built 408 LS2 that makes a butt load of power on PUMP GAS tuned with the STOCK PCM
This car is easily $100,000 (I hope Gary's wife doesn't read this)
Give the owner, the car, and FLP the credit they they deserve. When you guys build something better and badder let us know.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the post.........................I know how forum life is and you are right...I hope my wife doesn't read this as well because you are a little low on your guess
Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have any pics of the setup? sick numbers on pump gas
Old 02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ABeasst
do you have any pics of the setup? sick numbers on pump gas
I don't have any new pictures. Car has been put to bed for the winter. But here is some shots when we had the 383 in it

https://www.flp2win.com/store/kits.php
Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
I don't think you can pull into your local BP Amoco and get C16. Well... maybe in Schaumburg.
Lets try and keep the peace here Mitch and keep this thread on topic.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eviltwins
No offense, but those numbers still seem vey low for twin T66's into a 408. The only other similar setup posted was that one done by Dark Dragon Motorsports, and they made 1045 RWHP at 13 psi. That's 280 RWHP and 135 RWTQ more at 3 pounds less boost.
I still have a tough time with 1046.3 rwhp/929.4 rwtq with 13 psi.

It doesn't make peak horsepower until 6500 rpms?
It doesn't make peak torque until 6000 rpms?
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me for a turbo car.

It makes 153.7 rwhp more and 70.3 rwtq more than the "13 psi" dyno that they have posted. They don't state the boost level for this dyno.

Also...
Sheet metal intake
solid roller cam
AEM EMS
Those turbos look a "little" bit bigger, possibly 72mm? They have to have 3 inlets to 3.5 inch inlets too.

Some things about this car don't add up either...
"408ci LS6 (8.0:1)"
"6.0L truck block"

What type of gas was used as well?

Gary's Z06 is truly a street car. Stock pcm, 93 octane pump gas, all of the accessories are still intact, and the A/C still works. No ground clearance issues either.

When I see that you have to remove the a/c, use C16, the downpipe(s) run underneath the k-member, etc., the street car "badge" goes right out the window in my opinion.

Nice job Dan and Don from FLP!

Last edited by NoMoreLS1; 02-07-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Dan Bills at FLP does it again