Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

QMP setup opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QMP setup opinions?

Well there's a local guy selling his QMP single turbo setup. He said it has a T63, 42lbs injjectors, and a front mount. I don't plan on running that small of a turbo or injectors (I plan to go with probably a T76 and 60lbs for future upgrades) but was wondering about the quality of the manifolds and the rest of the kit. The guy only had it on the car for about 500 miles before burning a hole in the piston and then took the kit off and let it sit. The price is fairly decent in comparisson to what new single turbo kits are going for new right now. Does anyone know about the fit and durability of the QMP setup? Will the alternator need to be relocated? Does it keep the A/C? I'm going to look at the kit here in a couple hours but wanted some other opinions too. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

relocates the alternator, make sure you get all the relocation stuff.

if you get it, block off the original wastegate location and mount one on the crossover.

you should be able to come up with 6xxrwhp with that and a 76mm on a bult motor

yes it does keep ac.

factor in the added cost of that 76 when you compared pricing to new kits?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MM, are you saying to remove and block off the original wastegate all together? I am sure you know more than I do but I have this kit and was wondering why you would recommend doing that. I know that some people tried to add an ADDITIONAL wastegate to the crossover but no one ever had luck with that and it bleed off too much boost (I believe) and they could not get it under control.

Have you personally done this or seen it done with success and what is the point of doing this? Does it stop boost creep or reduce backpressure or what?

Personally, it would seem to me that the the driver side manifold would have no way to bleed boost to keep from overboosting. The wastegate would be at least 15-18 inches from the manifold.

Also, I had a friend that had a T-76GTQ on his and put down 700rwhp with meth and 93 on a forged 346 and he was blowing head gaskets, lifting the heads. I am planning on running mine around 600rwhp and thought about only 550 because of the backpressure known from this kit. I plan on running 800rwhp next year and want to keep this motor in good condition.

72-Firebird, they use on-center exhaust housings, not tanginital, sp?
Also, make sure to look the primaries over on the log manifold to check for cracks. I had mine re-welded for reinforcement and they still cracked again. I had to pull off the log (aka, pita).
Old 02-10-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about it some more and doesn't it seem like you would almost be running a 4 cyl. engine if you put the wastegate on the xover? It just seems that you would be bleeding most of the pressure from the passenger side all together and only using the driver side to build boost.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no i wouldnt block off that wastegate location. I might add another one to the xover pipe, but definatly keep that one where its at, no sense in removing it, plus with it there it is less likely for you exhaust gasses to be traveling the wrong way.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I don't think I'm gunna get it. He said it's got a T3 flange (I'd like to have a T4 for future upgrades) and he was saying like $4k. I'll probably just end up building a turck manifold setup instead.

The plan is I just got a 5.3L with 28k miles long block for cheap. I've got ported 5.7L heads to put on it which I believe should lower the compression to almost 9:1. I want to run stock internals at first for this summer for around 500 rwhp. Then next winter I want to do all forged internals and maybe stroke it to like a 383. I want the kit to be able to just be upgraded with a bigger turbo if needed and injectors. I was thinking of going turck manifolds and a 67GTQ (friend has a pretty much brand new one for like $600) and 50 or 60 lbs injectors. Then if I go forged internals over the summer I'll run like a T76 or maybe bigger
Old 02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

the kit has a T4 flange
Old 02-11-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the tti kit has the wastegate on the crossover.. always has.. and no boost stability problems.

the wastegate doesnt open until you reach desired boost.. so NO you would not only be spooling the turbo with 4 cylinders.

the common log is a severe restriction.. the more exhaust you keep from going through it.. the better.

one guy that added a second wastegate on the crossover and had good results was..... Robbie Raymerto

yea you can leave the first wastegate in the qmp location.. but that just means you will have to buy a second $$ wastegate.. do what you want.

there is a good reason your bud was going through parts... the kit is rediculously hard on engines.. specially the drivers bank.

I junked a block cuz of a split sleeve on that side.

Quick Reply: QMP setup opinions?