Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Farewell supercharger, hello turbo setup (coated manifold pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars are making 1500+HP with $50 truck manifolds, why spend the $1500+ for a set of headers that may or may not make any more power, and will likely not be as durable as truck manifolds? What benefit is there, bling? A few more HP, slightly faster spool? There are other places to spend that $$$ that will likely outperform the difference between headers and manifolds IMO.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Equal length headers help a lot more than just a little or slightly. From what I could tell, those headers don't seem to be divided (I could be wrong). Which means that it's very likely that the cylinders are going to be contaminated with exhaust from one of the other cylinders on the same bank. Meaning you're losing a lot more than just "A few more HP". Boost response is also increased more than just slightly since more of the exhaust pulse is being used to power the turbine. It's true equal length headers aren't as durable, but durability shouldn't be a concern if they were made properly.

I realize that $1500 may be a lot for some people, but honestly if you're going to go for a good turbo setup why go cheap on the headers? That's just my opinion though and I suppose I can say that a bit easier because I can make headers myself for just the cost of piping and running my welder. I'm not trying to bash him or his setup, I was just curious if there any reason in particular why he didn't go with equal length headers versus the log style headers he is using.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that if you put equal length headers on those cars making 1500+HP that they would either make more power (assuming the turbo could handle it) or the power band would be better, possibly even both.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

man thats awesome john....that 88 looks enormous next to that 12oz can...lol
Old 05-21-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks great PSJ. Cant wait to see the times. That car should move very nicely

Quick Reply: Farewell supercharger, hello turbo setup (coated manifold pics)