Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whats the best way to cool off a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah, like I said. Just find another f-body with a low temp thermo and do a temporary swap.

I really don't think you're in as much deep water as you think you are. Take a deep breath, and try the above suggestions one at a time. And remember that at this point the car is worth much more to you than to anyone else. Stick with it, work through these tough patches, find a couple local LS1 guys, and as you solve the problems I think you'll enjoy the car even more.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing I would be doing with a setup like yours is an oil analysis, to see what is wearing.. it will give you an idea what to look out for. Doing it every other oil change would be cheap insurance to me... if it comes back with alot of some tpe of metal, then you that something is wearing, and they should be able to tell you what it is if you know what bearings and rings and whatnot are in the motor.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Just some more testimonial to give you an idea. My turbo is NOT as big as yours, but it is also close to the radiator (stock radiator). I have a turbo blanket over the exhaust housing, though. I have my air dam intact, and I feel this is absolutely necessary. I had been driving around with the AC on in traffic for hours, and the temperature would never go over 190... One fan o the bumper side and one on the engine side, one on the left and one on the right.

Now, the one on the engine side just broke (it was defective... I'm waiting for a new one in the mail). I can't put the AC on or it WILL overheat, but I can sit in traffic all day long, and it will not go over 210... on one fan... No heater.

You have an aftermarket radiator, which is supposed to be better (Griffin?). I'd check out the water pump, head gaskets, all that, but I would also check the radiator... it's new and it could be defective. Look, one of my brand NEW fans was defective... You have alot of new parts, and it's much more likely one of them is defective than the head gaskets crapping out is...

I, too, have little mechanical skills... I'm a f***in' Language Arts teacher, ! Or money for that matter... don't listen to the negativity. Your car's badass and you need to fix it. No big deal. Whooptie-doo.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 02-15-2006 at 11:36 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Don't take this the wrong way, but how do you make 1300+ posts on a car site and not learn anything about cars?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

He may have a lot of knowledge, but what's easy to test, troublesoot, and then repair for many here may not be to him.

I can't speak for him, but I know how to fix my car sometimes but can't because I lack the tools/lifts etc. Hell, my neighborhood association will fine people for working on their cars!!! I know... they're ******** and I plan to move soon. The point is that then I have to pay a tech who DOES have the tools/experience to give me a hand. Many users here are in this boat... not everyone is a mechanic for a living nor as a hobby here, nor do you have to be to enjoy FI as long as you have good help. I'd pursue mechanics more as a hobby if I could... if it wasn't for the associaton rules and lack of storage to have a decent area for tools/parts. If I had a garage... I'd probaby never need help unless it was building a whole engine or something beyond my knowledge and understanding...
Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Race your car!

Learning isn't all that hard.. all it takes is someone that knows to walk you thru it once. it' amazing how much you can actualy learn that way, I haven't been in a motor in years, but I was lucky enough to be able to work on my won car at Eastside's shop, and they walked me thru the head swap on my car.. it was a great learning experience, took 2 day to do the job, and I learned a TON doing it. just have to have patience, pay attenion, keep your stuff sorted in a way that you won't forget what went where, and no fear of getting your hands dirty.

It's really too bad that tranzam lives in airzona and futral is in louisiana, I think if he was there for the buildup, or at least parts of it, he would have a much better understanding as to what's going on, and where to look for the problem.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Learning isn't all that hard.. all it takes is someone that knows to walk you thru it once. it' amazing how much you can actualy learn that way, I haven't been in a motor in years, but I was lucky enough to be able to work on my won car at Eastside's shop, and they walked me thru the head swap on my car.. it was a great learning experience, took 2 day to do the job, and I learned a TON doing it. just have to have patience, pay attenion, keep your stuff sorted in a way that you won't forget what went where, and no fear of getting your hands dirty.

It's really too bad that tranzam lives in airzona and futral is in louisiana, I think if he was there for the buildup, or at least parts of it, he would have a much better understanding as to what's going on, and where to look for the problem.
I really wish that were the case, cause I do love learning how to fix things and increase my knowledge database. Like I said before, the only way ive learned a lot of stuff(major stuff) is by breaking ****. I had no idea what a spun bearing sounds like until I spun mine

I have a garage, but I certainly dont have the tools or know how to do major fixes. I know they have walkthroughs like ls1howto or installuniversity, however I dont trust a walkthrough like that because there maybe something I may run into that I have no clue what its talking about, and then **** something up and then blow my motor.

I do have a friend though that is good with mechanical stuff, so he will be helping me figure out what the issue is.

Quick question. will a 160 thermo in an lt1 fit in a waterpump for an ls1?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

I also did the paper test this morning. the left fan sucked it right against the fan, the right one was kind of neutral, did blow it away, and didnt suck it.

Now, this was on a cold start with the a/c running, so I dont know if it just wasnt able to get up to the proper fan speed or what, but both fans were running.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Look in the link I posted at the bottom of page 4, since you are still running a/c you don't have much room in there. That, plus no airdam, is very problematic.

I'd wire both fans to come on, not just the one, for HIGH. Might help, but get the airdam back on. T-stat won't help if you already have on in there. For piece of mine, maybe get a new radiator cap too.

But if you car is gushing in the overflow after you make a blast, and you need to top it up constantly, you might have lost a gasket like Rick said.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
I just got a PM from allan and it does have a 160 T stat in there.
So if he put in a new 160 t stat, is it possible that could have been defective?

I think on thursday when my buddy comes over to help me install my qa1's, Ill see if we can do a compression check on the motor too.

What kind of plugs should I replace it with? tr6's, and what gap?

I hear its a good idea to replace plugs in a high HP setup like this every 5k miles or so, is that a consensus?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Look in the link I posted at the bottom of page 4, since you are still running a/c you don't have much room in there. That, plus no airdam, is very problematic.

I'd wire both fans to come on, not just the one, for HIGH. Might help, but get the airdam back on. T-stat won't help if you already have on in there. For piece of mine, maybe get a new radiator cap too.

But if you car is gushing in the overflow after you make a blast, and you need to top it up constantly, you might have lost a gasket like Rick said.
Hmm, ok, Im gonna need to figure out why HP tuners isnt allowing me in.

Allan told me it auto locks its self out(id assume just the ability to tune) but he said it should allow you to read it, which its not.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the air damn?

I would think if you remove it, it would help circulate the air out of the engine bay and under the car.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Race your car!

The air dam forces air up onto the radiator when the car is moving, at any speed.
Do the compresion check, and as for the plugs, ask Allan what he used, and gapped them at, and repeat that... probably the safest bet.

I know tools are expensive, but the 1300 in tools I have, plus the roll away tool chest, was well worth it. In my lifetime, I'm sure they will save me at least 100 times that cost, as I commonly find myself reaching in there to do this or that, wether it be on a car, or my lawnmower, snowblower, whatever. If you have a garage.. start collecting tools.. I did, and haven't even got the garage up yet!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need that air dam. Those F-bodies are bottom feeders... they need something to divert the air up to the radiator. Instead the air is taking the easy route and going under your car. Put it back on!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the air damn?

I would think if you remove it, it would help circulate the air out of the engine bay and under the car.

it directs the air from underneath the car up and onto the condenser and radiator. So really it put more air though the engine
Old 02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by coop5885
it directs the air from underneath the car up and onto the condenser and radiator. So really it put more air though the engine
hmm, that makes sense. I wouldnt think that would cause over heating though when the car isnt moving.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the car was good when you got it back and now it seams to overheat then it could be a few things.
T-stat stuck
Waterpump -unlikely
low coolant
Blown gasket
cracked cylinder or head.

Now here is something that isn't talked about much here. A car like your's needs to be driven carefully.Doin back-back-back WOT hit's is not recommended because it overheats the coolant in the block.This applies to high HP setups like yours.Alway's /frequent boost will damage something in the motor.Sounds like yours is a head gasket.

Pull the plugs and see if they are all in 1 piece first.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
If the car was good when you got it back and now it seams to overheat then it could be a few things.
T-stat stuck
Waterpump -unlikely
low coolant
Blown gasket
cracked cylinder or head.

Now here is something that isn't talked about much here. A car like your's needs to be driven carefully.Doin back-back-back WOT hit's is not recommended because it overheats the coolant in the block.This applies to high HP setups like yours.Alway's /frequent boost will damage something in the motor.Sounds like yours is a head gasket.

Pull the plugs and see if they are all in 1 piece first.
well as I had mentioned, the first day I got it back it overheated, so it never not had that issue when it was in arizona.

as far as how many back to back runs ive done, the most i can recollect would be 4 or so, however it was only 3rd and 4th gear pulls, and the air outside was sub 60*

I sure hope I didnt crack the cylinder or head, but I would think there would be a noticable amount of something dripping if I did, wouldnt it?

I plan on pulling some plugs tommorow night and see the condition of them.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

1) I know folks who have run hot without the airdam. Car would overheat quickly. You need to put that on first.
2) Then you need to have both fans come on at like 170F. Sure they will run a lot but you generate a ton of heat. Email keith@hptuners.com or ken@hptuners.com and ask them to look into your HPT issue.
3) Top off that coolant.
4) Check all coolant hoses, look for drips and weeping.
------------------------
NOW start changing stuff.
5) Plugs

Trust I've blown head gaskets in the past, and thought I did last year...
Old 02-15-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

1) I know folks who have run hot without the airdam. Car would overheat quickly. You need to put that on first.
2) Then you need to have both fans come on at like 170F. Sure they will run a lot but you generate a ton of heat. Email keith@hptuners.com or ken@hptuners.com and ask them to look into your HPT issue.
3) Top off that coolant.
4) Check all coolant hoses, look for drips and weeping.
------------------------
NOW start changing stuff.
5) Plugs

Trust I've blown head gaskets in the past, and thought I did last year...
Soon as Allan can mail me the air dam back, Ill get it on.

Ive already emailed the support staff at hptuners a few minutes ago, im a step ahead of ya.

Checked the coolant last night, it was topped off already.

I havent noticed any leaks at all, but havent checked the hoses for any issues.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to cool off a turbo?