Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech or ATI Procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a common misconception that a radial impeller is somehow deficient in operation as it doesn't look "trick". This isn't so. The radial impeller has a very linear airflow curve and is less peaky in operation than most helical designs.
All of the P1SC-x blowers have a radial exducer and some are have a helical inducer tip design. This design has been around for a very long time, there's a reason for that. They work for their intended applications. Impellers are modified and redesigned to fit a specific need. Some are modified to limit upper rpm airflow to minimize overboosting a smaller cubic inch engine, such as a modular 4.6 Ford. The operating range of the engine is also a variable looked at. ATI has a very large catalog of impeller designs. The purpose is to try to tailor the head unit as close as possible to the performance of the rest of the system, or the class being raced.
All of the P1SCx blowers are rated at 1200 cfm. This is comparable airflow to a Vortech T trim. The helical inducer designs are more efficient in a narrower operating range and produce a different airflow curve. The P1SC-1 and -2 are newer design impellers that are used in most of ATI's more recent kits. The P1SC is still a mainstay workhorse blower that works well in the 300-370 cubic inch range. The operating range of the stock engine has a bearing on the spec'd supercharger.
A P1SC is capable of 10+ psi on a warmed over LT1 or LS1.

When higher airflow is demanded then big helical impellers fit the bill, but that's not the majority of strong street systems, say up to 700hp.

ATI has enough choices that you don't have to compromise if you are building an egine for a special application and have specific needs.

The P1SC is not a compromise when its installed on a stock or nearly so engine. The airflow is there to make pretty big power and tax your driveline as many of you with blower cars already know.

The Vortech "test" is just bunk.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its a common misconception that a radial impeller is somehow deficient in operation as it doesn't look "trick". This isn't so. The radial impeller has a very linear airflow curve and is less peaky in operation than most helical designs.
All of the P1SC-x blowers have a radial exducer and some are have a helical inducer tip design. This design has been around for a very long time, there's a reason for that. They work for their intended applications. Impellers are modified and redesigned to fit a specific need. Some are modified to limit upper rpm airflow to minimize overboosting a smaller cubic inch engine, such as a modular 4.6 Ford. The operating range of the engine is also a variable looked at. ATI has a very large catalog of impeller designs. The purpose is to try to tailor the head unit as close as possible to the performance of the rest of the system, or the class being raced.
All of the P1SCx blowers are rated at 1200 cfm. This is comparable airflow to a Vortech T trim. The helical inducer designs are more efficient in a narrower operating range and produce a different airflow curve. The P1SC-1 and -2 are newer design impellers that are used in most of ATI's more recent kits. The P1SC is still a mainstay workhorse blower that works well in the 300-370 cubic inch range. The operating range of the stock engine has a bearing on the spec'd supercharger.
A P1SC is capable of 10+ psi on a warmed over LT1 or LS1.

When higher airflow is demanded then big helical impellers fit the bill, but that's not the majority of strong street systems, say up to 700hp.

ATI has enough choices that you don't have to compromise if you are building an egine for a special application and have specific needs.

The P1SC is not a compromise when its installed on a stock or nearly so engine. The airflow is there to make pretty big power and tax your driveline as many of you with blower cars already know.

The Vortech "test" is just bunk.
i would say that andereck knows a thing or two about s/c's....good stuff, i am impressed and learned a thing or two
Old 03-01-2006, 05:40 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
i would say that andereck knows a thing or two about s/c's....good stuff, i am impressed and learned a thing or two
No kidding, I'm glad he is on here! Bob
Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, it is nice to be able to get info direct from the source.
Good and correct info to boot.
Thanks andereck...................................
Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Andereck.. The stright blade does of course have a place in the market, smaller motors Etc.. However with the very high density altitude here in Denver avg arounf 7000 DA, the Stright blade design does not provide enough high end flow on our higher rpm bigger V8's here. I was using this as a reference.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Hey thanks guys, I'm happy to help if I can.

Bob, keep up the great work, you are extremely helpful on this board.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
I would hope so he works for ATI.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Teching In

ok, back on topic for a sec. Are the maintenece pretty much the same. I know you need special oil for procharger and just enginge oil for Vortech every 3000 miles or so. How about plugs? I assume you gotta change them more frequently. Also I'm in North East where temp can go down to the teens or lower on an extremely cold day. Is that a problem for Vortech? I ask because I read an article on GMHP where they were installing a vortech on an 04 GTO and they said not to start the car below 25 degree. Or it could pretty much destroy the Vortech because of its tight tolerance. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

its because the oil will be thicker getting up to the bearings in the charger, a way to get around it is to have a block heater, or just put your car in a garage.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by andereck
Hey thanks guys, I'm happy to help if I can.

Bob, keep up the great work, you are extremely helpful on this board.
Thanks! I appreciate it. Bob
Old 03-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

20k on my vortech v9 Sq and couldnt be happier.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres reason enough to go ATI vs. Vortech: Vortech says not to even start the car if its below 25 degrees, as it could damage the blower. ATI says temperature does not matter, drive it in whatever temps you want. I don't know about you guys, but I live in Illinois, and it hits 25 pretty frequently. Some idiot told me to "just keep it in a garage", which would be fine, but I prefer to drive it outside, and the damn stores and stuff won't let me keep my car inside. Bastards. I think thats pathetic, especially for a street car. For a race car, maybe its OK, but come on.......
Old 03-17-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

To be fair the temp thing only applies to Vortech's SQ line of helical geared blowers. But ya, I think that's a bit silly.

Quick Reply: Vortech or ATI Procharger?