Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can a stock 346ci aluminum block BUILT UP handle 800-850 rwhp on boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Do an LS2 block with stock crank and good rods/pistons and have no worries. The LS2 block is stronger. Stock cranks are good to 1000rwhp+ with proper tuning.

PM Steve at Race Engineering in Socal who resleeves these LSx motors for his explanation of differences between LS1/LS6 and LS2 motors.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But remember that you have to have all of the sensors for the 05 and up LS2 when you do this...Just an FYI...Yes they are good blocks though...
Old 03-06-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
But remember that you have to have all of the sensors for the 05 and up LS2 when you do this...Just an FYI...Yes they are good blocks though...
umm, no you don't

pick up an LS2 front cover assembly and cam gear. Done.

I stayed aluminum block FWIW
Old 03-06-2006, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much are LS2 blocks? And what is the difference between LS1 and LS2 block
Old 03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

"The LS2 block will require a different valley cover, front cover, timing set, cam sensor, knock sensor and all associated gaskets." This is a direct quote from Nick D'Agostino from Victory Racing Engines...It's just I was going to consider the LS2 also but he enlightened me on this...He builds way more engines than I do and this isn't the first time that I've heard this but since Harlen says no then I would guess that it's okay...Damn internet...Too much info...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

"The LS2 block will require a different valley cover, front cover, timing set, cam sensor, knock sensor and all associated gaskets." This is a direct quote from Nick D'Agostino from Victory Racing Engines...It's just I was going to consider the LS2 also but he enlightened me on this...He builds way more engines than I do and this isn't the first time that I've heard this but since Harlen says no then I would guess that it's okay...Damn internet...Too much info...

WOW........ Harlan knows exactly how i feel about Nick...........

ANYONE who worked For APE i would never buy a motor from...... after the 3rd one and Nick saying... no man it will be fine i built that one......

Just like Slowhawk said.... ANY motor that pushing that much HP with need to be refreshined often..... even if its just rehoning the cylinder walls and fitting news rings.
FYI im a Iron block now and when the time comes ill go back to ALM.
you can have that 90lbs back....
Old 03-06-2006, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

like i said, im not saying it CANT be done, it obviously has and will continue to be donbe. Im just saying its much bigger of a risk going to Al, for the b4mentioned reasons. but what do i know, im only quoting an engine builder that does a good deal of research and development for gm good luck with whatever route u go with
Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

This guy never worked for APE and I even asked about it...His last name is D'agostino and the other Nick is just Agostino...I know I thought that it was weird too...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

nope no more risk then an iron block.
if the engine does decide to go, like cause of a bad tune it wont care if its aluminum or iron.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

This guy never worked for APE and I even asked about it...His last name is D'agostino and the other Nick is just Agostino...I know I thought that it was weird too...
no the other nick Agostino worked for ARE
D'agostino worked for APE
both have had a "history"
i'd avoid both
Old 03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know man...Damn it's hard to find a good engine builder these days...could you pm me and give me a heads up on what's going on with this guy?? Sorry man, not trying to jack the thread...Just trying to find out why i'm lucky that I haven't got screwed over...You guys just saved me a lot of money... =)
Old 03-06-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2khawk
umm, no you don't

pick up an LS2 front cover assembly and cam gear. Done.

I stayed aluminum block FWIW

im not gay but... i am in love with dude
Old 03-06-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

my best et pass was an ls1 block, it had to be re ringed 1/2 way though the year of racing and street drivng, pulled it after the rings wore again.

then i had a iron motor that worked great until i broke a bunch of pistons, never got around to needing rings, def. had more miles on it.. at more hp.

now i have an ls2 cuz its stronger and i took the oportunity to get the weight back off the car. i'm driving around at about 800rw on pump gas/meth right now, 7k miles and all is well, but no racing yet.

its really not a big deal to accomodate the ls2 change.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
no the other nick Agostino worked for ARE
D'agostino worked for APE
both have had a "history"
i'd avoid both

Exactly.

Give HPE, LME, TSP W2W a call....

The person i used inst a sponsor so i cant post who.

If i had to order another short block id go with W2W in a heart beat...
My brother had nothing but good things to say about the short block he got from TSP.

Kyle
Old 03-06-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool Kyle...good looking out man...Nick seemed like he knew what he was talking about but we didn't get too specific...It wasn't the first time that I've read or heard that you needed to incorporate the new sensors but apparently it can be done...All I can say is that we're all human and the day that I no longer learn something new I'll be dead...Thanks for the info guys and the heads up..I'll look around some more...I'll be heading home from Iraq shortly and I need to get a shortblock underway though...Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Can somebody tell me the difference between the LS1 and LS2 blocks?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,156 Likes on 752 Posts

LS2 blocks have siamese bores, which is the main reason that some noted engine/FI experts advocate swapping to one.

What I HEAR with the LS1/LS6 stuff is that at high power levels the bores start to distort, the rings are fine. The bores will get out of round and then you lose ring seal.

I guess we'll see what my 2001 LS6 block looks like this year. I'd like to get a full season out of it.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you mean Ernie John?? Good luck with that...I can't wait until we see some of those pics that he's trying to hide so much....
Old 03-06-2006, 05:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

98TurboLS1-

With any engine your looking to get built for your car, specifics are the first thing you need to start going over. You never want to just buy a package deal or from what we've seen get into a "group purchase" engine deal. Not the way to go about building a motor at all! That is the most important part of your car's future potential, why waste it on saving a few bucks?? Although it may seem like your spending way more on something you can get somewhere else for cheaper, it's the quality you pay for. The guys at W2W and the gentleman that just built kyle's motor have been building great race proven championship motors for years, you can't buy experience with this stuff.

Feel free to give us a call at the shop and we can help you out in getting a great short block for exactly what you need. The guy that built kyle's motor is VERY reputable in this area and I can get you directly hooked up with him. If you want to stay with a LS1Tech sponsor, I would for sure use W2W first, those guys are amazing and very establised over there. Three of our current projects are getting W2W Long Blocks. We use W2W also for our future engine dyno testing and some chassis dyno stuff. Regardless, you can't go wrong with either of these.

Like I said, feel free to give us a call at the shop and we can help shoot you in the right direction.

Stenod
Old 03-06-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well thank you very much...I'm actually contacting W2W and seeing what they can do for me...I would call you but it's a DSN phone which is like an ancient styrofoam cup setup with a string in the middle...I'll definitely give you a call in a month when I'm back in the states....Thanks

Quick Reply: Can a stock 346ci aluminum block BUILT UP handle 800-850 rwhp on boost?