Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost lower than usual

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Hmmm... So if I run a 7 lb. spring by itself, I would max the boost at seven lbs.

But if I add a boost controller, it will allow the boost to peak higher? I guess I have it backwards??? How have I tightened it and reduced my boost?
if you have the 7 lb spring, the wg will go no lower than 7psi, unless there is an adjustment on the wastgate to raise and lower pressure. The manuel and electronic boost controllers adjust the boost your motor is seeing by regulating the amount of boost the wastegate is seeing.

Here's a little bit about how they work
http://www.boostcontroller.com/display_page.php?i=22

Hope this helps.

later,
Dave
Old 03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

So I can lower AND raise the boost? I've never tried raising it... TOO SCARED!!! I thought I couldn't anyway... Not that I would, but, can I?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I can lower AND raise the boost? I've never tried raising it... TOO SCARED!!! I thought I couldn't anyway... Not that I would, but, can I?
I know you're running a PTK kit. Do you have a BC on it right now? if so, you should not be able to go below the waste spring or setting. I know some wg’s (ex deltagate, but I don't think you are using one of those) has an adjustment set screw on top. Is that what you’re talking about adjusting?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Mine is the Turbosmart BC with the **** on top. I've tightened it all the way, experimenting one day, and I saw almost no boost to about 1#. Then I put it back to where it was, and it's now back to normal...
Old 03-10-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is the Turbosmart BC with the **** on top. I've tightened it all the way, experimenting one day, and I saw almost no boost to about 1#. Then I put it back to where it was, and it's now back to normal...
I really don't know how it would do that unless it was adding vacuum to the top port (but I don't know how it would do that either). All of the BC's I've hooked up and run only add boost. Maybe the Turbosmart has a feature i've never seen.

But I would be very careful becasue most of the time, if you turn a **** on a BC clockwise, the boost will go up. And unless you are paying close attention to the gauge, it could easily result in a damaged motor.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd be too afraid!!! My tune is set-up perfectly for 7-8 psi and that's it...

But yeah, strange, huh? I know it for a fact because it took me forever, driving/looking at the gauge, moving it a tiny bit, etc. to get it back to 7, 8 psi... After having closed it, though, it did entirely shut of all boost... I mean, WOT and it would get MAYBE 1 psi...

Thanks for the low-down.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
I got all of the components needed to pressure test the system at Home Depot. I did not detect any leaks in the system. A buddy of mine came over and we played around with it, and got no where. We went for a ride, and it only makes 1-3psi in 1st-4th and finally got to 4.5-5 in 5th. I know I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side collector, but would this cause this kind of problem? I am so irritated with this system, I could use all the help I can get!

So you DID pressure test the intercooler?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, but with the exhaust leak, I don't think putting a cap on the downpipe would do me any good. Had the cap on the coupler where the MAF hooks up and one on the charge pipe inlet (form the turbo) so it would test all the way from back to front through the IC. I don't have an air compressor here, only an electric bike tire pump. I'll test again with a real compressor, and let you guys know the outcome. The weather here sucks right now, getting massive hail all over the place, and the MT ET Street radials are horrible on wet surfaces!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

BTW, I have this boost controller (they didn't send me the freakin turbosmart to match everything else. http://turboxs.com/shop_prod.php?what_category=1 and part # BC-SBC If I would've known it was such a piece of ish, I would've gotten something else.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Went to the muffler shop and had my Y pipe welded (had another crack) and had both collector gaskets replaced, made no difference. Went back to a friend's house and wondered wtf was going on. I just happened to decide to get under there and turn the boost controller the opposite direction. Sure enough, it's backwards. I immediately shot up to 10psi, so I adjusted down to 8 and called it done. MUCH faster now!!! Thanks for all of your help friends! Now my throwout bearing is SHOT!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

HOLY SH**!!!

WTF?!?

Good ****, but... wow, sucks you went through so much!

But that still leaves the question... If that was never messed with, how did you lose boost to begin with?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Exactly. Stupid people at the body shop probably dicked around with it, you never know. They see something shiny, they want to touch it. While they were under the car painting, I'm sure they saw it, hell, even got paint on it, and decided to clean/touch it and turned it. All I can say is the car has never run this good, even better than before, can't wait to get to the track and show some tail lights! Thanks again guys...

Quick Reply: Boost lower than usual