Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cog setups.. Anyone making any yet? (Procharger)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cog setups.. Anyone making any yet? (Procharger)

I though I had seen a cog setup that Speed Inc. was going to try to market a while back, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Is there anyone else making a complete cog setup for the Procharger?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a search, some one just sold a COG setup recently, but I can't remember for sure who made it. I wanna say it was an ASP kit but im not certain.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
Do a search, some one just sold a COG setup recently, but I can't remember for sure who made it. I wanna say it was an ASP kit but im not certain.

I did.. He already sold it.

ASP did make his, but I was curious if anyone else had come up with anything yet. ASP does not have anything listed on their site about one for the LS1.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a set a few months ago. I was told that some have tried to develop some, but the belts still failed.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check out RCD
Old 03-12-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by streetbad
check out RCD

Who is RCD??
Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you want a Cog???

Many of us on here wanted a Cog setup and went witht he setup from ASP and could never get it to work..... Hugger was the only one and he finally sold it....
Cogs are unforgiving and cause way to much vibration on the crank......
This a Race setup?? All out race??
ATI setup i take it??
Even if it is a Race setup look at KP same 8 rib belt for two seasons....
I had the same setup my self.

SDCE spring tensioned 8 rib setup..... no problems and no belt slip....

Need a lil more info from ya....
Kyle
Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am suspecting belt slip, but have not confirmed. I am set up to max out the F1, but the boost is not there. I have only seen a max of 15psi. I have checked for boost leaks up to 22-23psi and there are none.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

ATI (not procharger) was/is supposed to have a cogged belt drive in the works. Also above mentioned vibration and noise issues would concern me.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

COGS did me well, but man it took me a while to figure out how to stop throwing belts..

I would say one of the main problems COGS has is the sudden change in Impeller speeds..

Say Silver Slayer, your wanting to MAX out your F1, so say your at 68,000 Impeller RPMS at 6200 engine rpms, you then shift into 2nd, which brings your RPMS down to say 4,000, your Impeller would instantly change from 68,000 RPMS to say 44,000 RPMS if my math is right.. The sudden change in these speeds causes some Vibration, but also harms the belt/Cog pulleys, wears them out then possibly throws them.. After many thousands of miles on my COG pulleys it did show some wear, not too much..

The reason I went with a 8Rib setup is because I am driving my car alot more now, where before it was more of a race/weekend warrior..

Now if you want to MAX out that Blower, without slip, and if a 8rib/12rib Blower setup will not get you there, or the SDCE will not, then go COG.. Also depends on what your doing with your car.. Are you racing alot? If you are and want to see as much PSI as possible, then go COG.. I figured it out, you can too..

There are people still here in Denver that are running COG setups, without breakage.. Again, the Correct Tention setup on a Cog system is the most important.

Clint
Old 03-12-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUGGER ORANGE SS
COGS did me well, but man it took me a while to figure out how to stop throwing belts..

I would say one of the main problems COGS has is the sudden change in Impeller speeds..

Say Silver Slayer, your wanting to MAX out your F1, so say your at 68,000 Impeller RPMS at 6200 engine rpms, you then shift into 2nd, which brings your RPMS down to say 4,000, your Impeller would instantly change from 68,000 RPMS to say 44,000 RPMS if my math is right.. The sudden change in these speeds causes some Vibeation, but also harms the belt/Cog pulleys.. After many thousands of miles on my COG pulleys it did show some wear, not too much..

The reason I went with a 8Rib setup is because I am not driving my car alot, where before it was more of a race/weekend warrior..

Not if you want to MAX out that Blower, without slip, and if a 8rib/12rib Blower setup will not get you there, or the SDCE will not, then go COG..

Clint
I am using the SDCE kit now.. I'm not sure about the 12 rib though. I haven't even looked at it.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your running the SDCE now, are you seeing belt belt powder around the blower area?

I'm running a custom Belt Tention setup I made and when I put a new belt on, I'm seeing 14 to 15psi from my D1SC, and I've got more belt wrap around the pulleys than the SDCE setup. But my setup makes belt slip as well.. I'm taxing my setup to the max though.. I'm running a 8" Crank and a 3.4" Blower so my blower max impeller speeds are at 6,400 engine rpms.. Right now I've got about 1,000 miles on this current belt and I'm only seeing 12psi where I would be seeing 15 with a new belt.

Sometimes I do miss my Cogs..

Clint
Old 03-12-2006, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With a cog setup you can not have the blower bracket flex at all.If it does it will wreck the belt.There is a direct drive setup out there (I think CSI) that mount's on the crank.You will have to move the radiator but it will take the load off the crank and absolutely no slip. We plan on ussing it on my race car in the future.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

This brings back memory's........ damn belt slip..... i guess thats part of the reason i sold my SC kit and went Turbo........
Old 03-12-2006, 07:24 PM
kp
8 Second Club

An F1 isnt that much bigger then a D1 and with the bigger blower pulley the SDCE should work, you might be getting a little slip but if you are using the stock ATI inlet hat you are losing a couple PSI right there.. I log my boost every pass and on the same belt it was solid as a rock for a year, but I'm only turning the D1 55K max.

I dont think the SDCE would max an F1R but I think it will turn an F1 OK..

Last edited by kp; 03-13-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silver Slayer
Who is RCD??
www.rcdengineering.com Most of their stuff is for fuelers but they do make cog sprockets and blower hubs for centrifical superchargers

Quick Reply: Cog setups.. Anyone making any yet? (Procharger)