Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger whistle. annoying

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andereck
Gear backlash only affects the sound at an idle and different engines affect the sound that may be heard as mentioned previously. An engine with a heavy dual mass flywheel will have less of a "chatter" than one with a lighter assembly. This is the reason for a heavy dual mass flywheel to begin with. All ATI ProChargers are set up during assembly to specific target specifications with gearsets matched to their cases. The oil slinger does not contribute to running noise. At least 80% of the sound heard when the engine is off idle is from the impeller. The SQ series Vortech trades friction and side loading for noise. With a larger performance supercharger this is not a tradeoff ATI chooses to make at this point in time. ATI does use helical gearing in some applications that traditionally have a rougher idling condition such as 2,3,4 and some 6 cylinders. These units however aren't loaded as hard as the bigger V-8 application blowers.
Kinda off topic, would my Mondo BPV "open" affect the whine at idle versus if it was "closed"?

Andy
Old 03-13-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe, but only in a very minor way. The bypass vavle needs to be open anytime boost is not required though anyways. With the bypass shut, or no bypass, the supercharger might not move quite as much air at an idle but the difference would be minimal.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe, but only in a very minor way. The bypass vavle needs to be open anytime boost is not required though anyways. With the bypass shut, or no bypass, the supercharger might not move quite as much air at an idle but the difference would be minimal.
I was talking in context of having the BPV outlet routed into the inlet of the blower. For example, does the air coming out of the BPV affect the "noise" at idle? Or is this mainly because of the gearing discussed in previous posts?

I'm not saying it is annoying, but learning where the whine/whistle/noise is coming from.

Thanks
Andy
Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, non recirclated bypass air can be noticeable. Its more of a constant whoosh sound and the type of valve contributes to what you hear. Routing the bypass into the corner of a fender or another area and placing a small airfilter over the discharge can diffuse the noise and make it barely perceptible.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Gear backlash only affects the sound at an idle and different engines affect the sound that may be heard as mentioned previously. An engine with a heavy dual mass flywheel will have less of a "chatter" than one with a lighter assembly. This is the reason for a heavy dual mass flywheel to begin with. All ATI ProChargers are set up during assembly to specific target specifications with gearsets matched to their cases. The oil slinger does not contribute to running noise. At least 80% of the sound heard when the engine is off idle is from the impeller. The SQ series Vortech trades friction and side loading for noise. With a larger performance supercharger this is not a tradeoff ATI chooses to make at this point in time. ATI does use helical gearing in some applications that traditionally have a rougher idling condition such as 2,3,4 and some 6 cylinders. These units however aren't loaded as hard as the bigger V-8 application blowers.
Although I agree with most of what you have said, helical gearing does quite down superchargers allot. With aero aspect of impeller design – yes you can quite down impeller a bit.

I for one like something that is civil at low RPM and after that who cares!

It is not my intent to get into a X versus Y discussion, I do think Vortech and Paxton have a better offering from stealth standpoint.

As far as slinger, I found the units I looked at to be very sloppy or with backlash. Side load is a questionable argument because impeller backside pressure adds to side load, as does helical gearing. If their opposed then it’s not too bad.

I’m not bashing ATI (Procharger), it comes down to perceived advantage. I like that Vortech publishes compressor maps and you can size supercharger based on published info.

Oh, I have heard D1SC on similar cars (mods) and the difference was appreciable (noise). The matched pairs of gears may be a marketing thing.

Mike
Old 03-14-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

I personally love that sound
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by peter pan
I agree here I love the sound of my DS1C and only wished I had purchased a F1R instead so I would sound like a jet arriving
exactttly... yea man ive heard a F1 on a cobra and its insane..its one of those "you look around to see wtf that sound is cuz its like nothing u've ever heard come outta a car before" kinda sound but yes its awesome...jus drives some pple nuts cuz they want it to be more "sleeper" i guess, but cmon that fighter jet sound comin from under the hood kicks ***, in-ti-mi-da-tion
Old 03-16-2006, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An engine with a heavy dual mass flywheel will have less of a "chatter" than one with a lighter assembly. This is the reason for a heavy dual mass flywheel to begin with.
Excuse the ignorance, but what is a dual mass flywheel?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Its a flywheel used on f-body T-56 cars. The flywheel is two piece and is designed to reduce rattling and vibration that can come from the T-56. The flywheel is pretty heavy and the engine idles at a more steady speed with it than it would with a lighter one. This has the effect of lessening the transmission chatter of the supercharger at an idle as well.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

MY D1SC with a huge 4.0 pulley sounds tough!!! I didn't spend lots of money to sound like a Honda Accord. The noise my blower makes is my favorite part.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

There may also be several more advantages that haven't been mentioned with the ProChargers.
With my D-1SC, I love it when I'm almost home and I turn down my road and the local dogs start to bark...
I have also noticed no close calls with deer as well! Bob
Old 03-17-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
There may also be several more advantages that haven't been mentioned with the ProChargers.
With my D-1SC, I love it when I'm almost home and I turn down my road and the local dogs start to bark...
hehehehehe
Old 03-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Teching In

i would buy the procharger just for the sound. i love it!
Hell ya!! It sounds mean as hell driving around town and WOT is perfect for scaring old people and small children.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:48 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Scratch the deer thing, I hit a dear at the top end on a dragstrip with a procharged car lol.

But when the neighbors are walking their dogs its funny watching the dogs trying to pull their owners right into the side of my car
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I agree here I love the sound of my DS1C and only wished I had purchased a F1R instead so I would sound like a jet arriving
LUV the supercharger whine and my favorite is the BOV during shifts
Old 03-17-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sierra5.3
Turbos... quiet?? thats a good one
Have you ever watched a twin turbo Vette go down the track with a stock Z06 exhaust? I have. You couldn't hear a thing.

Mark
Old 03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

A turbo should be run with as little exhaust as possible to sound good. If not, what you say is absolutely true.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Talking

Originally Posted by kp
Scratch the deer thing, I hit a dear at the top end on a dragstrip with a procharged car lol.

But when the neighbors are walking their dogs its funny watching the dogs trying to pull their owners right into the side of my car
Thats only because you were going faster than the speed of sound... lol
Old 03-18-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thats only because you were going faster than the speed of sound... lol
Which can only be accomplished with a ATI Procharger! hahaha

(Just a joke, not meant to provoke a whole turbo vs. supercharger convo. hehe)

Andy
Old 03-19-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

My P1 on my old 95 Z-28 could be heard from 3 blocks away. People LOVED it and flocked to the car. I loved it to but I was younger back then. I am not sure if I could handle it now haha

Last edited by CHRISPY; 03-19-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Procharger whistle. annoying