Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

front mount turbo v.s. rear mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the sts

people are talking about the sts. i dont know about a lot of you people, but im 20 and skating through life with little money. i bought a used sts with the gt67 on ebay for 3200 shipped. and i bought a custom fmic from trtturbos for 900 which are 700 now and then 42lb injectors and the fuel pump. all in all i paid roughly 4500 and my car makes some decent numbers. yes a front mount kits makes more but they are just a little more expensive and some you have to relocate things. im happy with mine and hopefully trt will help me build it up further. they have helped me on my turbo build as if i was part of their family..... they are good guys and will help you in anyway they can to make your car a monster

plus they'll put a lot of strin on your stock clutch after it pulls 501tq...... just kiddin billy and dustin
Old 02-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Launching!

What I find really funny is that front mount guys are trying to figure out ways to cool down their turbo's. Or rest between rounds because of heat soak (drag racing). Or spent boatload of money keeping their engine compartment cool.

They always seem to forget that STS piping due to its surface area also cools the charge and that heat soak in the engine comparent decreases h.p. and increases wear. In the end, its the quality of air going into the intake and consistantly running at the optimal engine temperature.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Slick, the only thing I saw in that image was an STS show car. Was it supposed to be a pic of the relocated filter? I agree trt has done some great setups. I'd like to see a dual outlet setup with tips out the bumper. I know it can be done.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i have the red car on the dyno with that set up. they are great guys and will work with you on your needs. tell them what you want and they will brain storm...... good guys. i cant wait to see my car today..... hopefully
Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Slick, the only thing I saw in that image was an STS show car. Was it supposed to be a pic of the relocated filter? I agree trt has done some great setups. I'd like to see a dual outlet setup with tips out the bumper. I know it can be done.

Ok look in the rear qauter panal, you will see a extra scoop was added. They had intake go through the fender well and sit behind the scoop they added.

Its hard to see since it blends in so well........
Old 02-21-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear mounted turbo was first used on the P47 Fighter in WWII. Applying the rear mounted turbo to cars results in rarely needing additional intercooling as the charge is mostly cooled by the time it gets back up to the motor. At least that is what I was told the concept was. I'm sure some cars need additional intercooling. Hey, whatever works.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought that was just a reflection. So thats a modified fender? Ive never seen anyone do something like that.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I have seen a dual outlet setup on another forum, but I think the driver's side was a fake. If I locate it again I will post it here.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by highgear
The rear mounted turbo was first used on the P47 Fighter in WWII. Applying the rear mounted turbo to cars results in rarely needing additional intercooling as the charge is mostly cooled by the time it gets back up to the motor. At least that is what I was told the concept was. I'm sure some cars need additional intercooling. Hey, whatever works.
Yeah the STS works good for low boost settings, but without an intercooler you shouldn't run anything more than 5lbs without meth. injection.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

i thought that was just a reflection. So thats a modified fender? Ive never seen anyone do something like that.
Yes it is, good idea I would say..........And its flows very well and has a purpose. I like it alot,it was in GM Hightec thats were i saw it first
Old 02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default Front Vs Rear Turbo

I know this has been done to death,and i dont want to start a huge debate but i would like to know why front mounted Turbos are supposed to be "better" than the rear turbo kits.. IS there that much of a difference between them??? You can get a 70 or 76mm turbo unit for the STS kit, the charge gets cooled on its way up to the front , plus if you have a FMIC it cools it even more. I dont see the downside of that. The front mounted units would seem to keep alot of heat inside the engine compartment and the charge would not be as cool going into the engine. I understand that the rear kits may not be pleasing to look at for some people, but aside from how they look underneath the car...The people on here who have the rear turbos love them and the people with front mounted ones dont.... Is it all just a matter of opinion??
Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*subscribes before the chaos, and before Jose hops in*
Old 02-22-2006, 02:42 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by ajensen383
I know this has been done to death,and i dont want to start a huge debate but i would like to know why front mounted Turbos are supposed to be "better" than the rear turbo kits.. IS there that much of a difference between them??? You can get a 70 or 76mm turbo unit for the STS kit, the charge gets cooled on its way up to the front , plus if you have a FMIC it cools it even more. I dont see the downside of that. The front mounted units would seem to keep alot of heat inside the engine compartment and the charge would not be as cool going into the engine. I understand that the rear kits may not be pleasing to look at for some people, but aside from how they look underneath the car...The people on here who have the rear turbos love them and the people with front mounted ones dont.... Is it all just a matter of opinion??
HAHAA, check out my avatar, as it is a shot from you guys at cecil in 04. (didn't see yall in 05 i was too busy). I still have most of the raw files. When's the first shootout and do yall ever have an open house @ his shop?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
HAHAA, check out my avatar, as it is a shot from you guys at cecil in 04. (didn't see yall in 05 i was too busy). I still have most of the raw files. When's the first shootout and do yall ever have an open house @ his shop?
Hey Aaron....Well I know Cecil starts the first Saturday in March, but i doubt if they will run it unless the weather gets alot better, plus we wont have the car ready by then... We may take the "old" car down if they run, but not sure yet... Did you see the new Turbo car run or the older Naturally aspirated one?

He doesnt really have an official open house at the shop. Since its bascially just Andy and another full time guy at his shop,.. He is sooo busy building engines now, and when hes not at the shop, hes workin on the car....You are more than welecome to stop at the shop at any time though, he's good like that
Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

The air being force-fed into the intake likes to be cold, but that doesn't mean the air going to the turbo does, too.

Cold air entering engine: good.

Cold air entering turbo: bad.

STS-piping hot air entering turbo: Pretty good... but never as good as the hot air entering a turbo by means of a front-mount... the hotter the air, the higher the volume, the faster the spool-up of the turbo. This is not to say the STS turbo's spool time is inadequate by any means... But, like you said, by the time the hot air entering the turbo far out back makes it, it's lost SOME heat.

Turbo's in sanctioned motorsports are always mounted in the front, I'm almost certain.

But, who cares about turbo efficiency, right? Peak efficiency is compromised for ease of install combined with near-front-mount potential... Voila, the STS.

However, I prefer my turbo and exhaust housing running their proper specs at the temperature they were designed to.

STS? Pretty good set-ups. They do the job. However, to call them ideal is a stretch.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Good god this has been beat to death!

I'm not going to waste my time spitting out the deficiencies of the rear mounted system since you doing want to take your time to read up on them, but lets just boil it down to this:

Rear mount is often cheaper and offers good results for what it is. These systems take a efficiency hit, have less potential, and have more lag. If you want it done right and want a better more efficient system, do a front mount.

Last edited by Wet 1; 02-22-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Hey Aaron....Well I know Cecil starts the first Saturday in March, but i doubt if they will run it unless the weather gets alot better, plus we wont have the car ready by then... We may take the "old" car down if they run, but not sure yet... Did you see the new Turbo car run or the older Naturally aspirated one?

He doesnt really have an official open house at the shop. Since its bascially just Andy and another full time guy at his shop,.. He is sooo busy building engines now, and when hes not at the shop, hes workin on the car....You are more than welecome to stop at the shop at any time though, he's good like that
I know, and I hate to bother yall when you're @ the track. I've followed the old car since oh, 01. I know they usually open cecil right around now, but they don't run a shootout until what, April? The shop is still up in Nesckopeck (sp?) right? I might have to chat with yall between rounds at some point as I will try my darnedest to make the first shootout this season. Plans on running faster than the .38 from last year?

Hey, also, by chance, you haven't happend across a darkblue ta with texas plates and a procharger in the last year or so in PA have you?

Last edited by sb427f-car; 02-22-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wet 1
Good god this has been beat to death!

I'm not going to waste my time spitting out the deficiencies of the rear mounted system since you doing want to take your time to read up on them, but lets just boil it down to this:

Rear mount is often cheaper and offers good results for what it is. These systems take a efficiency hit, have less potential, and have more lag. If you want it done right and want a better more efficient system, do a front mount.

FYI i did read up alot about both systems, Including alot of posts from here, but the posts on here from other threads were not what i wanted (ie. " i dont see any rear kits going faster than 10's") or (" i made XXXRWHp with a rear kit and XXX RWHP with a front kit)... To me thats not an answer,because engine/driveline combination vary so much. I would wanted a more technical response as to the benefit of each system...but try going to the manufacturers site and see if you can get a answer, you can't because each manufacturer will be plugging their own product either way
Old 02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
I know, and I hate to bother yall when you're @ the track. I've followed the old car since oh, 01. I know they usually open cecil right around now, but they don't run a shootout until what, April? The shop is still up in Nesckopeck (sp?) right? I might have to chat with yall between rounds at some point as I will try my darnedest to make the first shootout this season. Plans on running faster than the .38 from last year?

Hey, also, by chance, you haven't happend across a darkblue ta with texas plates and a procharger in the last year or so in PA have you?

Hey, its not a problem to bother us between rounds, we're happy to answer any questions you may have, its not a big deal unless something is wrong with the car.... I've been with the team since 99 when were going 7.50's and that was blistering..lol... Although i havent gone much in the last 2 years since i built a house and all that stuff, i do plan on going for a few this year...Yeah we are always looking to best our record number for sure, as long as we got the chassis right, the engine is definitly puttin down the power. We are aiming to be consistent in the 6.30's and then turn it up some more...

Yes the shop is still in Nescopeck, PA... Sorry havent seen the T/A, what parts of PA was it running around??
Old 02-22-2006, 04:04 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Hey, its not a problem to bother us between rounds, we're happy to answer any questions you may have, its not a big deal unless something is wrong with the car.... I've been with the team since 99 when were going 7.50's and that was blistering..lol... Although i havent gone much in the last 2 years since i built a house and all that stuff, i do plan on going for a few this year...Yeah we are always looking to best our record number for sure, as long as we got the chassis right, the engine is definitly puttin down the power. We are aiming to be consistent in the 6.30's and then turn it up some more...

Yes the shop is still in Nescopeck, PA... Sorry havent seen the T/A, what parts of PA was it running around??
Car's not mine but a buddy of mine, but I think last year he ran into one of andy's "mild" 383s in a duce. I think it was in the Bloom area of PA? I don't recall. He's since moved to florida (his parents are still in PA though).

Quick Reply: front mount turbo v.s. rear mount turbo