Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408 and T88 Turbo almost done Now I need a Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel@GMRSPEED
You wont be cutting any corners by coming to us. When you come to GMR you will get top notch service. There are 3 people that own GMR. We do all the work and take care of each customer and there car as if it was our own.

As for helping you with a tune to get it going....When you call tomarrow I can help you with that.

Thanks Joel
I sure he will be more than happy bringing it to you guys. I know yall have some great customer service and know your stuff. I saw a great thread by dynedta about yall in the sponser feedback section. I just feel that W2W is the best in the business IMO.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Joel@

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
As said above you would be better off bringing to a reputable tuning shop and have them do the startup on the car.Also expect there to be some bugs to work out which will probly cost more $$. A mail type tune just won't do it for a startup,it needs to be monitered right from when you first turn the key
I agree that the car should be monitered from the first start up. We would never offer a mail order tune for a F/I car. That is why I told him we will talk about it when he calls.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:51 PM

not saying that w2w or gmr cant get the job done but if i was you i would throw it on the trailer and bring up to speed inc. jim tunes all the cars and he even owns a twin turbo lt1..... i dont think you would be disappointed they are turbo crazy over there
Old 03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

jim @ speed inc has been working with hp for a long time!!! hp tuner would regular use speed inc's dyno as they are close neighbors! done deal!

i think i am a kick azz tuner...check my atco vid her....first time at the track!!
www.nick.neptune.com
Old 03-19-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like it should roll hard....get some numbers and vids up asap
Old 03-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have questions, you can contact Rich Gala (our tuner) at the number in my signature.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Alan Futral did a mail order tune for me and it worked fine to put some break in miles on my new engine (8:1 408 w/ F1 Procharger). It started right up, idled and drove great. I had a wideband, so I could monitor A/F, but he also has a very detailed worksheet to fill out with your mods so he can get it close.

Are you going to start it up for the first time on the dyno and go WOT for a dyno tune?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Teching In

I want to thank everyone here, I am going to be making alot of calls this week.
Once again thank you for all your help.
I will be posting my results soon
Dave Dillon
Old 03-20-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

slowhawk did my 408 t88...hes kinda far though im sure...ls1speed has a good rep
Old 03-20-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To better understand the process of bringing an EFI/FI motor up from scratch, I highly recommend Jeff Hartman's book on Engine Management Systems. His chapter on EFI tuning 101 is great and saved me a lot of money by allowing me to tune it myself.

In your case, it should allow you to get a basic tune enough to drive, with NO boost, to your tuner. Or you could put some more time into it and bring it to a tuner for that last 15-20% - the most risky part.

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

There are some solid recommendations above, but make sure the shop you go with knows what they are doing with 3 bar / speed density tuning if that's what you want.

There aren't many people that know much about SD tuning. Most are tuning with the MAF and will give you a decent WOT tune, but a good all around SD tune is A LOT more in depth and time consuming if it is done right... a typical MAF tune can be done in within a few pulls if the tuner knows what they're doing. There's no way a tuner is going to nail a good SD tune with just a couple dyno pulls like many of these guys do when they charge you $500-$600 for a basic MAF tune. Also, to do a SD tune right the tuner needs have a dyno that will load the turbo (a typical Dyno Jet won't do this) and even then he'll still need to do some real world testing to hit all the cells. Keep in mind there's a lot more to a good SD tune than just a nice A/F ratio under WOT!

It's very time consuming, but when done right you can't beat a good SD tune. There are only a few commercial tuners around the country that I'd feel comfortable about taking my car to and knowing a SD tune was done right. You might want to talk with Rick at Synergy as he really knows SD tuning well... he's to far to take your car to, but I'd talk with him about what you want to look for in a SD tuner. Honestly, probably some of the best SD tuners in this country are hobbyist (such as Nick above), do some looking around in the tuning section (or EFILive/ HPT boards) and I think you'll see that many of the private guys are nailing their personal SD tunes down much better than most commercial tuners could every afford to do without charging you and arm and a leg. Talk to a couple of these guys as I'm sure there are a few people not to far from you who might be able to do a proper SD tune.

Like I said, many commercial tuners either don't know how to do a good full 3 bar SD tune, or won't take the time to do it right. Talk to Rick before you talk to anyone else because he not only has the proper dyno and equipment, but he also knows what he's doing. You could also try talking to Marko at STC, he's not to far from you (Chicago I believe) and knows SD tuning.

Also, as Slowhawk stated... don't try starting the car until you have a tuner on hand!

Good luck!

Last edited by Wet 1; 03-20-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I would put Rich Gala (our tuner) up against nearly anyone out there. You would be hard pressed to find another tuner with as much experience with speed density on LS engines as Rich. But he is busy and has a pretty full schedule. If you want to get in, then you'd better make arrangements in advance. We also have a 2000hp capable true load Mustang Chassis Dyno in-house which can also provide simulated 1/4 mile passes.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Todd,
Please don't take my comments as a stab at W2W, I'm sure Rich is an excellent tuner based on your rep and I'm sure Dave would be well served to get you guys to do his tuning for him. I was just mentioning others that I know I'd feel just as comfortable going to. I'm sure you'll agree that not all tuners are capable of doing a complete quality 3 bar SD tune... W2W and a few others are excepts to the norm.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done quite a few cars with the HP tuners 2 and 3 bar speed density stuff (and have helped many other shops with it as well). Works great, and driveability is awesome.

Also just finished another car today that made 845rwhp @18lbs of boost with the 3-bar setup.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll jump on the W2W bus, went to the shop and spent some time with Kurt... stand up peeps there. Same goes for Mr. Izzos crew at Speed Inc.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Reckless
Well I would put Rich Gala (our tuner) up against nearly anyone out there. You would be hard pressed to find another tuner with as much experience with speed density on LS engines as Rich. But he is busy and has a pretty full schedule. If you want to get in, then you'd better make arrangements in advance. We also have a 2000hp capable true load Mustang Chassis Dyno in-house which can also provide simulated 1/4 mile passes.

I just got my engine back from being tuned by W2W (Rich Gala). I cannot express enough how great of a job Rich/W2W has done. You may find people who can make simmilar power numbers as W2W, but you will not find better people to deal with.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can personally vouch for the guys at GMR speed as they recently tuned my twin turbo car and the graphs were just beautiful. I didn't know much about them before sending my car up but I gave them a task that would either make them or break them in a sense. They built up a forged 370 from a bare block, fuel system from scratch, spec 5 install, turbo fabrication and tuning. I guarantee I would let you guys here on tech know if the car had any major issues but honestly I stand amazed at how well they did. I have had no issues with anything as of yet and have already put over 3000 street miles on her in the last month. I'm willing to bet that GMR is going to be a bit cheaper than the other big name tuners.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:23 AM
SSU Moderator

I say (and this is not a dig at GMR) you go with people that have been around for a while, specifically tuning big turbo setups and big cubes. If you want close...Jim at Speed Inc. If you want a Mustang dyno (which is a plus for sure)...Rich at w2w.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by RyanJ
I say (and this is not a dig at GMR) you go with people that have been around for a while, specifically tuning big turbo setups and big cubes. If you want close...Jim at Speed Inc. If you want a Mustang dyno (which is a plus for sure)...Rich at w2w.
We have been tuning for a very long time , GMR is just our official buisness that we started to reach the masses.
I do understand we are the new kids on the block and do not have near the reputation of a W2W or Speed Inc.........yet
BTW Ryan, this was not a stab at you by no means at all bro, just kinda using your post as an example, lol, kinda hard being the new guy, it gets a little fustrating.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 AM
9 Second Club

Any pics of this T-88 turbo kit for the C5 ? I'm curious to see how much was changed in the front end to get it to fit since nobody has done it up to now .

Quick Reply: 408 and T88 Turbo almost done Now I need a Tuner