Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo'd Do you run coolant through your turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo'd Do you run coolant through your turbos?

Well I'm definatly(sp?) going the turbo route on my SS and I was wondering if you guys hooked up the coolant lines for your turbos. Alot of DSM owners I know dont run coolant lines to their turbos and lengthen the turbo timer when they go to shut the car off. (Personally I don't see any gains in this). I was just wondering if you run coolant lines and what your take on this is.

Nate
Old 03-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I am planning on running coolant lines since my PT67 has a water cooled center option. I didn't find much info on where people were tapping coolant flow at, so I'm planning on using the line that feeds the coolant thru the bottom of the throttle body. It should provide plenty of flow. I'll run the return wherever the return for the coolant goes. I just have the motor, so I'm not sure if it returns to the radiator or what.

HTH!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Incon kit was water cooled. The Incon kit got its feed from the block (hex fitting on the driver's side was pulled and replaced with a AN feed fitting. The return was tapped into the heater core hose via a T coupler.

I have spoken to a couple of people about water cooling the center sections and from what I understand there is not a lot of benefit. Seems like the bigger benefit is to have a large oil cooler and feed the turbo the coolest oil that you can.