Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

When is water or meth injection used??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is water or meth injection used??

Im new to how or when you want to use it...I have a Stock internal ls1 with a d1sc @ 11psi. Would it do my car any good. If i use it can i go up another pound of boost? Thanks!
Is it used to prevent spark knock? Can you use a high octane gas instead like GT100
Old 04-04-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use the search feature, this has been discussed a lot.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

meth is used for 2 things
1) to lowers intake air temps
2) increase the overall octane

Doing the above 2 things does help decrease knock and usually lets you run more boost.

water is very similar except it doesn't lower the intake air temp as well and it adds no octane. Some people run a 50/50 mix.

Just the basics search for more info.

mark
Old 04-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Water does have use in the mix. Water has a naturally high specific heat property, this requires a lot of heat to change the liquid water into a stem (water vapor). This is why water is used as a coolant for the engines cooling system. When injected into an engine, alcohol/water mixture does several things. Some of the water vaporizes and absorbs heat from the intake steam. This cools the incoming air into your engine. An proper setup should be able to lower the Intake Air Temp (IAT) by 50 deg. Once inside the combustion chamber, the mist mixture is fully vaporized into steam. When this happens the water will absorb tremendous amount of heat from the combustion process of the engine. This will help cool the internals and will also stem clean the internals. The Internals will be free from carbon build-up when torn down for repair or inspection of parts. Carbon build up can lead to pre-ignition. Engines with excessive Carbon build-up can actually run after the ignition source is turned off. The change during the combustion process also slows down this event like race gas would