Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pros/Con on throttle by wire vs. manual throttle body in FI setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pros/Con on throttle by wire vs. manual throttle body in FI setup?

Does throttle by wire give you any kind of benefit (perfomance, engine safety, reliability, etc) or any shortcomings over a regular manual style throttle body? I am asking this question more with a turbo setup in mind, but SC pros/cons would be cool too.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more for vehicle emissions and to work with the stability/traction control system than anything else. What benefits were you thinking?

Jim
Old 04-07-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

I was thinking a more stable A/F ratio, and possibly some sort of safety net if you started to run lean. For insance if you had a fuel pressure drop related to some sort or fuel system failure, the ECM would close the throttle body blade to maintain a stable A/F ratio.. something it couldn't do with a manual throttle body. I guess it would kind of be like lifting your foot off the gas if you saw your fuel pressure start to drop.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

You could set up an audible alarm for a low fuel pressure alert when your TPS was over a certain percentage... so you could shut it down quickly. Or you can do the Hobbs pressure switch wired into the ignition thing where it cuts off the ignition if fuel pressure gets too low... I see the point of your idea, and it is a good one, but I think drive-by-wire would still be pretty pricey to put together and probably wouldn't pay off any more than some of the tricks like above.

Now if you start adding ABS and vehicle stability...

Jim
Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Hmm, so the throttle by wire system won't pick up a lean condition from the O2 sensors and start to close the throttle blade? Another reason I'm asking is because I have the throttle by wire setup, and am not sure if I want to convert back to the manual throttle body.

Hmm.. I don't think I could reasonably integrate traction control or ABS into my 20 year old Jag without a h$ll of a fight... I've thought about it though!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Don't forget that most engine management systems will add fuel if they detect a lean condition. Drive-by-wire uses very complex algorithms, so I can't tell you what it would do in any given situation.

The #1 reason I would go with a manual throttle in your application? So I could lift off and know exactly what happened. This wasn't designed for FI, and it's not like you're reprogramming the SW. Then again, maybe there's a hundred people already doing this that can give you specifics.

Looks like a fun project.

Jim
Old 04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have dbw on my truck. the only benifit i can think of is it is a little cleaner set up since there is no cables or cruze moduel. for a swap like you are doing i would avoid the dbw.