Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How far can you get with 16k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
I'd honestly throw the 16k at the Supra, you'd be better off. Handles better, has a stout longblock, and is overall a tighter feeling car built with better quality.

Keep the t/a as the daily, it'll get high 20's mpg, and keep the supra as the 1000hp weekend runner.
If only! I'm selling the supra to get the mod money. I want a project and don't have enough funds to do TH400 and single turbo in the supra for quite some time...
Old 04-08-2006, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe89
If you already own a high miles T/A (98+) w/ T56, how much power / what E.T's could you expect after 16k worth of work, assuming majority of labor is done yourself except for machine shop, and also no custom fabrication.

I was thinking built engine with supercharger but could you run a nice turbo setup with that?

16k needs to include all necessary drivetrain components, engine, and any FI kit. Remaining 6spd is important to me. Thanks.
16K will get you a LONG way, as long as you plan smart. A good 408 longblock can be had for about $8K. Trans rebuild (if it even needs it....the T56 can take a good beating....2K.) A 12 bolt or 9" rear-end 3K after all the little parts. The rest in suspension, fuel and tuning and you'd have a solid 10 to 11 second daily driver street car.

For FI.....about 7K or so for an aftermarket boost-friendly longblock (either a 347 or even the SpeedInc 370). 6K for an ATI, Vortech, or STS with the necessary monitoring and fuel items, and the rest for a good solid rear end. Again, the right combination will yeild a 10 to 11 second street driven vehicle. The front mount kits = $$ and will probably break your budget. I think you'd be quite happy with the above-mentioned FI setups.

Do some good research, check out the sponsors, check the internal engine section for info, and think how you really plan to use the car. NA is great and reliable, until you want massive HP...then the cams can be street-unfriendly. Boost is super, except it's fickle and requires patience to tune properly for daily driving.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

16k will get you a 98-99 corvette.
then you sell your current car and take 400-500 dollars out of that for a nitrous kit and you can run 11s.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

buy somebody elses turbocharged car, let them take the hit.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VORTECFCAR
buy somebody elses turbocharged car, let them take the hit.

Best advice yet. Just make sure its done right.

Quick Reply: How far can you get with 16k?