Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 3" core. I'm wondering the same thing. There is definitely more room for a wider innercooler there. Only time will tell now.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Restricted User

It should get you by for now, maybe ~550-600rwhp but I would look into a 20x8x 4 or 5" core if you plan to push that T-76 close to its choke line on the "island". If so, you may be looking at 800-900rwhp with a good tune and proper fueling.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MaverickWH
It is a 3" core. I'm wondering the same thing. There is definitely more room for a wider innercooler there. Only time will tell now.
i have a similar log manafold kit...from ground zero my fmic 24x10x3.
and i also see we'r having prety much the same install issuse, power stering lines,and fans.hows the access to ur plugs..close to the header pipe?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

yeh sasme for me i had to put msd wires and bend them a lil and put heat boots on and keep them off the manafold..they should last a lil while like that now hopfully
Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
PM sent.
Checking PM, just got in from the shop.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated NOSjohn.
You're welcome, I try to help where I can.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn thats bad ***.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice pics Maverick. Any pictures of the alternator relocation?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

That alternator was a pain in the ***. After we first got it on, the belt was touching one of the nuts:

We redid it and finally it looked better:

After I fired it up and let the engine warm up, i gave it a few revs and the belt started to slip off the power steering, so I had to remove the alternator once again, this time I added 4 washers on the backside to space it further out. The alignment looks good now.

Here's all the pictures I've taken so far located here:

http://www.garysdecks.com/SS/

I should hopefully have the car up and running again tonight to where it's at least driveable. Then it'll be no boost until I can do the fuel pump / injectors / tune.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Restricted User

Is that GMR's alt. relocate bracket? Looks like a nice piece !
Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yes - it's GMR's. Definitely a nice sturdy piece. I was surprised that it reused the stock belt.

Better instructions would have saved a lot of extra re-wrenching throughout this project however. All we had was the bracket and some bolts and a few photos to try and figure out what went where. But in the end, it's where it should be now and looks good.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea... is this the first of there kits that was tried with a 76? If so.... self explanatory having some issues first time around..... do you think any of these problems/fitment issues would have occured running a t-70?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-20-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

so running a 76 will be a prob on this kit? i like this kit alot, and mavrick once again it loks good
Old 05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Everything on this has been a complete pain in the ***. If you go with a 76, without a question, you will have some fitment issues. Now that we are past all that, the latest problem are the plugs. I can't see these plugs lasting too long with this heat, so we need to find a solution to where they don't touch the headers at all. Even with the heat wrap on the plugs, it still managed to melt two of them pretty good.

A friend of mine came over and gave it a base tune today (Thanks Clint!!! -- Hugger Orange SS) - so I finally had a chance to drive it around a little. Kind of surprising as under full throttle, we're only seeing 4psi. I'm pretty sure they shipped it with a 7lb spring. My impression was the there is definitely some turbo lag, but when it spools, it feels pretty good -- This could be the tune as well, as 2500-3500 fills like not enough fuel. At 15 degrees timing, we weren't seeing any KR which is good. 4psi right now is a good start as that will allow us to get a safer tune before cranking the boost up. Hopefully my controller will show up soon, then I'll give it some more boost.

As of right now, I found a slow oil leak on the oil drain from the turbo, and need to still complete the wiring for the other two gauges (fuel pressure and wideband). Slowly getting there, but being able to drive it for the first time almost a month is a very good thing.

I wasn't a big fan of the Tial 50mm BOV after hearing someones TurboSX (or something like that), but I must say, the Tial sounds pretty damn good too.

Another thing we noticed was that when reving the motor in idle, it would create enough vacuum to squeeze the silicon elbow going into the intake briefly.

I'll post more details and progress after I get some sleep and get the rest of the gauges wired up.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get another set of plug wires and boots zip-tie them to the coils and away from the headers. GMR did this for me and I have 4000+street miles on my setup with NO issues at all. Get em off the headers and you should have no problem. With proper tuning the 76 should come in around 3200 pretty strong. Goodluck and post up some dyno #s already!!
Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, careful zipties make for great wire protection Maybe even some strips of the metallic heat tape.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If youw anna know the zip ties will last, DEI makes stainless steel zip ties for their header wrap. Lil pricey, but they are nice!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
If youw anna know the zip ties will last, DEI makes stainless steel zip ties for their header wrap. Lil pricey, but they are nice!

harbor freight sells the same thing for like 4.99 for 30.

i bought the DEI ones like a moron and realized i just tossed money out the window.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Very nice. I'll try that today. I have a baggy that has a least another 80 or so ties left in it.

I'm still a noob on turbos, but I'm curious if anybody can answer this one. I'm pretty sure that Leo shipped this with the 7lb spring, so the fact that I'm only seeing around 4 - could that have anything to do with altitude (we live in the mile high city). My vortech supercharged car I had only saw 5-6psi with their standard aftercooled kit (9lb kit) until I swapped the pulley. My understanding was that the wastegate will open at 7lbs of pressure regardless of altitude, so if I was to drive it at sea level, then up here or even up the mountains around here, I should be seeing the same pressure regardless. Does anybody else here have any experience with turbo cars at altitude? (Mecham??)
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it has a 7lbs spring...you should see 7psi regarless of altitude. might be your vacuum tubing wiring (make sure the vacuum tubing is on each location secured and tight) you might want to try and tighten the set screw on the wastegate down to see if that gives you more boost.

woot..another turbo fbody ls1 in CO!

Quick Reply: GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ