Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not exactly sure if my wastegate is hooked up correctly. There are two ports for it - one on the side, and one on the bottom. The side one I have hooked directly up to the outlet on the turbo where it should see boost to open the spring. The bottom one I have vented to the atmosphere. Most of the diagrams I've seen show the bottom one either vented to the atmosphere or connected with a T to the side one. My boost controller is still not here, so running it without a boost controller, any ideas how this hooks up.

Another suspect is my MAF. I broke it in half and epoxy'd it back together, and it may be leaking boost. What's bizarre is in 1st and 2nd, I see around 4psi max, then in 3rd it'll go up to around 5.5 which tells me I likely have a boost leak.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

change the signal from the turbo to from the manifold...see if the boost changes.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id definatly replace the maf.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ping King
change the signal from the turbo to from the manifold...see if the boost changes.
What about the bottom connection of the wastegate? Does this need to be hooked up to anything?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

iirc the bottom port on the WG is what you want to be using...thats what pushes against the spring to open the WG valve.

you may not be seeing a full 7 psi in your Boost guage because there may be a pressure drop across all of you IC plumbing...its more than likely not the case..but you should cover all of your ground first and not leave anything up to question..i would also see if that MAF is leaking...it may not now, but it also may blow the F up sometime down the road.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

There are two ports on the wastegate - one on the side and one on the bottom. Without a boost controller, what should I be doing? Should I T them both from a boost source so that they both see boost?

I though the side one was the one that gives the pressure to open the WG, but like I'm said - I'm still a noob on turbo cars.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Here's the instructions I've been following, but the aren't too clear:

http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf
Old 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're not using a controller of any type, connect the bottom port to an area behind the air filter (or just leave it disconnected). The side port will then connect to a pressurized area, ideally the intake manifold. You could hook it up to the compressor scroll too, but the gate will open sooner and you'll see less pressure at the intake due to the intercooler pressure drop.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A Turbo should make it's own air regardless of altitude. I believe.

Clint
Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How's this install coming? Very interested in getting a single kit myself!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Not a whole lot has changed.

I switched out the elbow that came with the kit to a sturdy piece from intakehoses.com, then tapped it for a boost source for the waste gate. I'm now seeing 5psi in all gears which tells me they installed the wrong spring.

I got all 3 of my guages wired up (boost, a/f and fuel pressure), but need to find the right part to connect to the fuel pressure source. I switched out my (broken) SLP MAF to the one in my Tahoe and retuned it for it and it appears to be running fine. I should have a new MAF by the end of the week so that I can switch it back.

A/F is tuned very fat right now - sitting around 10.4-10.8 under WOT. I still have yet to install the walbro 255LPH that came with the kit. I'll likely order another one and go with a duel set up before I install it. My boost controller got lost by FedEx, so we canceled that order and reordered a new one. Hopefully that'll be here soon.

My turbo oil return line was leaking pretty bad and with the help of a few friends, we got that fixed to where it's not dripping a drop. After checking the exhaust, the crossover pipe came apart where the clamp goes over it and got dented from bottoming out a few times, so I'm gonna have a shop remove that portion, and weld in some new pipe there.

We added a bracket underneath the radiator on the drivers side that pushes the fans inward, so I'm finally able to run both fans without them interfering with the intake elbow (not provided with the kit).

My latest issue is the steering knuckle is rubbing slightly on the downpipe. GMR provided two plates to raise the drivers side k-member slightly to help the clearance there, but even with that, and denting the downpipe slightly, grinding portions of the steering knuckle down it still rubs slightly. I'm puzzled that they didn't give us 4 of those plates because now the motor sits a little cockeyed from the two plates.

I want to switch the BOV from the tial 50mm to the turbosx RFL, but I'm not convinced I can do it due to hood clearance. As it stands right now, the BOV hits the hood when venting in 3rd and 4th gear and the turbosx appears to be a little taller. Anybody know the dimensions of it?

Overall, I've had to deal with a ton of headaches with this kit. Their instructions totally sucked - stuff like "relocate the cruise control to make room for the air filter". Relocate it where? We asked them to send me a small 4" pipe to connect from the throttle body elbow to the MAF, and they never delivered. My fuse boxes will need some work to make them fit in nicely as it no longer fits were the piping comes in. This could be part of the reason why the BOV hits the hood occasionally. I broke the SLP MAF by using their supplied silicon piping as the fit was not straight. Rather than using the silicon, we used to the stock bellow piece and now it's fine. It would have been nice to know their solution with wire-tieing the sparkplugs to keep them off the headers as well.

But now that most of the headaches are gone and the car is close to completion, I'm very happy with it. I've been able to drive it the past three weeks with no major issues -- especially overheating. When only running one fan (passenger side), I drove it around for 3-4 hours in 95 degree heat and the car stayed around 200-210.

It's definitely a blast to drive even at 5psi as I'm guessing the HP is between 450-500. There is noticeable turbo lag despite how most people will tell you that you won't notice any lag in a V8. From a stop in 1st gear, once the turbo starts to spool, it'll start to build boost at 3000RPMS and hit max (5psi) at 3500.

I'll try to snap some more pictures of it with the gauges installed along with the catch can -- awesome thanks to Young once again for finding a good spot for it.

Once I find my video cameras charger, I'll get some video of it so you can hear it as well.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=MaverickWH]It's definitely a blast to drive even at 5psi as I'm guessing the HP is between 450-500. There is noticeable turbo lag despite how most people will tell you that you won't notice any lag in a V8. From a stop in 1st gear, once the turbo starts to spool, it'll start to build boost at 3000RPMS and hit max (5psi) at 3500.
QUOTE]

Do u have a tune?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Its got a base tune by Clint (Hugger Orange SS). It needs some work on moderate throttle - 50%-80%, but I'll likely leave the fat tune 10.8:1 in until I get a boost controller. I want to tune it to be fat around 7psi so I can turn it up to 9-10psi and have it at 11.8.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mav, don't give up on the system. It seems you got in over your head with no prior experience with turbos or installing turbo kits. It's a big deal and very complicated. There are many problems that can arise. That's why most people hand their cars over to the experts-such as me. After your case, GMR has decided to no longer sell turbo kits out of house meaning that they are only selling their kits if they install them to make sure everything is sorted out and there are no whiney customers. You're just going to have to stick with it and get her straightened out. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So where does this leave my kit..ordered, deposit down but not delivered yet.Maybe should call them up and see whats going on. I guess could take credit on something
else like heads and fuel system or something. I would hope for a well thought out kit with the promised braces and possible air relocation and headers that won't crack and also the ability to use wires that won't burn thru on the headers.

I guess mabye should call Leo and see whats up with my kit. It was I think done and going to the coaters.

I am an old hottrodder have done v8 vega swaps and other things of that nature so
not too afraid to do the odd tweak or whatever to get a product to work.I just bought dual fal fans for my 97 talon project and they advertised them as direct fit and plug and play.They were neither.I had to dremel my lower radiator mounting tabs nearly right off to get the fans to fit flush.I had to modify the brackets that were supplied and I had to mess with the factory wiring harness by cutting it and soldering it to get it to work. But in the end they worked out fine ,still called the company and gave them a piece of my mine..Ok I ripped them a new one!!!
These fans were not cheap and really I got shipped a universal kit that they were saysing was direct fit and plug and play..false advertising although they did have rad hose cutouts on the shroud for my model.

I am lucky as have local speed shop guy that helps me out when get over my head,muffler shop buddies,access to welders,etc so something that would drive the average guy crazy is pretty simple for me to do usually..

Its too bad there are not many choices for turbo kits for our f bodies.I wanted a twin kit bad and the gmr seemed to fit the bill.It still may.
I am also wondering if you couldn't use like accel 9000 wires on the kit as they are
made for high heat environments better than the msd with coverings.
I have accel 9000 on my ls1 currently.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
After your case, GMR has decided to no longer sell turbo kits out of house meaning that they are only selling their kits if they install them to make sure everything is sorted out and there are no whiney customers.
OMG wtf? Thanks Maverick. Your inexperience screwed me!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

well from the sound sof his problems.... anyone even with experience would have had a headache stuffing that 76 in there. I would like to know the price now since it will include install a tune. I was hoping to get akit to install myself so i'd lose some big money if i had to pay extra now for it installed. Is this for sure.... what are the plans?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is was always said that the T76 would need frame notching to get to fit correctly so it seems he jumped in over his head cause there are many many issues to address when setting up an FI system not including fitment that was a given with the 76.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
Mav, don't give up on the system. It seems you got in over your head with no prior experience with turbos or installing turbo kits. It's a big deal and very complicated. There are many problems that can arise. That's why most people hand their cars over to the experts-such as me. After your case, GMR has decided to no longer sell turbo kits out of house meaning that they are only selling their kits if they install them to make sure everything is sorted out and there are no whiney customers. You're just going to have to stick with it and get her straightened out. Good luck.
EXPERTS?! HAHAHAHA... The REASON that I chose to install the kit and not hand it over to the experts was based on a previous experience 5 years ago where I paid my money out to one of our local experts for the turbo tech street kit and the install. I eventually had to bend over and hold my ankles and vowed that I will never let another mechanic touch my car. So rather than paying a few extra grand to a mechanic and not have a clue as to what's really going on under the hood, I've invested several hundred in the tools to do the job and I have a very good understanding of each of those parts function under the hood.

I didn't expect the turbo install to be easy. I believe that most of the parts they've given for the install are very high quality and with better instructions, the install would have been much smoother. After fighting the drivers side header about 5-6 times from where he had to install the steering knuckle to check for clearance, it would have been nice to know that these two plates they provided were to be used under the k-member to lift the motor. Most of the parts in this kit did not directly bolt up, but all needed some extra little work.

Here are my only complaints with GMR:
1) Their instructions provided with the kit are just about worthless. Now that I've gone through the install, I'm sure we could install one of their kits much quicker, but for others wanting to do their own install, I'm sure they'll run ito the same headaches and questions.

2) The kit was missing the cat pipe and the alternator relocation bracket. We called and they turned around and shipped it immediately. Then after we got to hooking up the intake, we were missing a 90 degree reducing elbow - they gave us a 3" elbow which likely fits their smaller turbo but not the T76. We asked for the 90 degree reducing elbow which comes from the turbo to the intake, along with a 4" pipe to connect the throttle body elbow to the maf. He claimed the 4" pipe was shipped, and did nothing for us on that pipe or the elbow so I was forced to order it elsewhere.

3) The 90 degree throttle body elbow provided with their kit was very flimsy and would compress when reving the motor in park. I can only imagine how this looked while driving.

4) The inner cooler with the kit seems a little small compared to most kits out there. They could have easily fit a bigger one there.

5) They shipped me the wrong wastegate spring. I asked for 8-9psi spring, and was given a 5psi spring. Since you seem to think that GMR decided to no longer sells kits out of the house due to my car and whining customers, you should get your facts straight. If the rumor of them not selling kits out of the house is true -- AND they are blaming my car, then maybe you should ask them about the other customer whose car is sitting at their shop right now from having the wrong wastegate spring installed. I don't want to go into more details and start forum drama as they seem to be making it right for him. I would just rather here it from them that my car is the reason. I find that very hard to believe considering we've talked to Leo less than an hour total during the install, and if that's whiny, then he shouldn't offer any customer service support.

Now instead of the crap talking and the 5 **minor** complaints I have with their kit, this post was not aimed at taking a plug at GMR, but rather to inform others my experience with a selling sponsor on this site. GMR informed us that there would be some fitment issues due to the bigger turbo so we were prepared for the task. The little extra money that I had to shell out to intakehoses.com for the missing pieces wasn't that big of a deal either. I'm just letting other potential customers know our experience with it.

The real question would be would I do it again, and if I'm happy with it.

Yes and yes. The kit is very high quality. Most of the few times that we called Leo, he was very helpful.

I've been driving the car for just over 3 weeks now with no major issues other than oil leaks, but those have since been addressed. I'm sure with a few better tools and a stronger air compressor, a lot of the headaches that we've dealt with would have gone away.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i hope GMR will step in here and let us know if this rumor is true or not and how will the price change since install/tune will be required?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Quick Reply: GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ