Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since these documents are not marked confidential, here are the original install documents that were provided:

http://www.garysdecks.com/SS/GMR%20S...STRUCTIONS.doc
http://www.garysdecks.com/SS/GMR%20S...20INSTRUCTIONS pt 2.doc

After I received them, I reformatted them so I could print them:

http://www.garysdecks.com/SS/Install.doc

But I guess with an expert doing the install, these instructions are awesome.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaverickWH
EXPERTS?! HAHAHAHA... The REASON that I chose to install the kit and not hand it over to the experts was based on a previous experience 5 years ago where I paid my money out to one of our local experts for the turbo tech street kit and the install. I eventually had to bend over and hold my ankles and vowed that I will never let another mechanic touch my car. So rather than paying a few extra grand to a mechanic and not have a clue as to what's really going on under the hood, I've invested several hundred in the tools to do the job and I have a very good understanding of each of those parts function under the hood.

I didn't expect the turbo install to be easy. I believe that most of the parts they've given for the install are very high quality and with better instructions, the install would have been much smoother. After fighting the drivers side header about 5-6 times from where he had to install the steering knuckle to check for clearance, it would have been nice to know that these two plates they provided were to be used under the k-member to lift the motor. Most of the parts in this kit did not directly bolt up, but all needed some extra little work.

Here are my only complaints with GMR:
1) Their instructions provided with the kit are just about worthless. Now that I've gone through the install, I'm sure we could install one of their kits much quicker, but for others wanting to do their own install, I'm sure they'll run ito the same headaches and questions.

2) The kit was missing the cat pipe and the alternator relocation bracket. We called and they turned around and shipped it immediately. Then after we got to hooking up the intake, we were missing a 90 degree reducing elbow - they gave us a 3" elbow which likely fits their smaller turbo but not the T76. We asked for the 90 degree reducing elbow which comes from the turbo to the intake, along with a 4" pipe to connect the throttle body elbow to the maf. He claimed the 4" pipe was shipped, and did nothing for us on that pipe or the elbow so I was forced to order it elsewhere.

3) The 90 degree throttle body elbow provided with their kit was very flimsy and would compress when reving the motor in park. I can only imagine how this looked while driving.

4) The inner cooler with the kit seems a little small compared to most kits out there. They could have easily fit a bigger one there.

5) They shipped me the wrong wastegate spring. I asked for 8-9psi spring, and was given a 5psi spring. Since you seem to think that GMR decided to no longer sells kits out of the house due to my car and whining customers, you should get your facts straight. If the rumor of them not selling kits out of the house is true -- AND they are blaming my car, then maybe you should ask them about the other customer whose car is sitting at their shop right now from having the wrong wastegate spring installed. I don't want to go into more details and start forum drama as they seem to be making it right for him. I would just rather here it from them that my car is the reason. I find that very hard to believe considering we've talked to Leo less than an hour total during the install, and if that's whiny, then he shouldn't offer any customer service support.

Now instead of the crap talking and the 5 **minor** complaints I have with their kit, this post was not aimed at taking a plug at GMR, but rather to inform others my experience with a selling sponsor on this site. GMR informed us that there would be some fitment issues due to the bigger turbo so we were prepared for the task. The little extra money that I had to shell out to intakehoses.com for the missing pieces wasn't that big of a deal either. I'm just letting other potential customers know our experience with it.

The real question would be would I do it again, and if I'm happy with it.

Yes and yes. The kit is very high quality. Most of the few times that we called Leo, he was very helpful.

I've been driving the car for just over 3 weeks now with no major issues other than oil leaks, but those have since been addressed. I'm sure with a few better tools and a stronger air compressor, a lot of the headaches that we've dealt with would have gone away.

OK well guess its time for me to step in.

Adam did let the cat out of the bag a little early and we are temporarily stopping mail order production of both of our kits. We are fulfilling orders already placed and will provide the BEST possible tech support to help with the installation of the kits. We are also still the kits on an install only basis.

The main reason for our decision on this is that we have seen the road traveled by other shops that have tried to do this too soon in the life of the company and the result has never been good.

We have never had any negative press about our shop until we starting mass producing these kits. This took away some of the focus of a young company that tried to get into way to many things at once. We need to slow things down a little and make sure all of or work is of top quality. You guys have to remember we are also a full service speed shop that does anything from a simple header or gear install to a full out race car, not just a turbo manufacturing company.

Everything that happened in installation in this post are small things that we don't think of when we are putting a kit in the box. We do have a checklist that we try to fulfill but some things can be overlooked, this could also be a problem because of the instructions not saying which parts should go where. These are all things that we here need to address, I do not want to ruin the name of a good kit because of lack of support and little tid bit pieces missing, which are vital to the installation of the kit.

We here at GMR are going to wait to sell kits for self installation until we ourselves have installed enough kits that we can write a quality set of instructions and make sure all parts are included and there is no missing
part(s).

We are not blaming one occurrence on our decision, it is just a matter of us not being satisfied that we are not satisfying our customers 100%, we will not accept anything but perfection.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

sounds good Leo, how will the price change if you have to do the installation now?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Let me reiterate here. I am a very happy and satisfied customer and would make the same decision on the purchase of this kit. I knew going into it that there would be many fitment issues, along with some convertible specific issues. We decided to tap the front of the oil pan for the return line due to the extra support suspension in place of the convertible as the return line would interfere with it. Even after tapping the front, the hose was slightly crimped and the return was leaking. We've shortened the line and now it doesn't leak a drop. Some of the other headaches we dealt with were not related to this kit, but other small stuff like replacing the motor mounts.

The reason for this post was to document everything on my install for reference for other people that would find this information useful. Without LS1Tech, I would have likely installed another Vortech supercharger, but with sites such as this one, other options are available with plenty of research available. If my post comes across negative and as a plug to GMR, then I appologize. I'm being honest with my experience with it and I don't claim to be an expert. Overall, I am very satisified with this kit for being able to have a larger T76 and still be able to keep my a/c. We've had record breaking heat in the Denver area for the past week and I haven't experienced even the slightest overheating which is a very good sign as that has been a worry of mine.

Leo - I'm still curious on this support bracket for this kit that's mentioned in the turbo FAQ as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Suspended Sponsor

The price of the kit itself will not change, I am working on fully installed prices and package deals.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Suspended Sponsor

I am waiting for the brackets to come from my machine shop the seem to be putting me on the back burner, getting rather frustrating. I should have them soon I hope.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

ok cool, let me know when you finish those package prices

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaverickWH
I find that very hard to believe considering we've talked to Leo less than an hour total during the install, and if that's whiny, then he shouldn't offer any customer service support.
I dont think calling and talking to the manufacturer when installing what is a new kit is whining. I do think that spending more time on the board complaining than you did talking to LEO on the phone is WHINING IMHO. And after reading this thread you definatly sounded whiney. Maybe you should have went to wheel 2 wheel or lingerfelter? There is no doubt that they have a much larger R&D center and they may have gotten everything right to you the first time. But wait they wont sell you a kit will they These guys are putting out a quality kit at a resonable cost. There is a reason there is a shortage of do it yourself kits available for our cars, this is just one of them. ***just for the record i have no affileation with GMR. I have never even made a purchase from them. I followed this thread as I am considering buying a twin kit this winter. now there are no kits

Last edited by koolrayz; 06-10-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Young this is not a beta kit. IT IS the first one a customer installed with a T76, so maybe that is what was meant. Though koolray is not an employee of GMR so I do not understand why you are taking anything he says seriously.

I am not taking anyones side, I did not [take sides] in my post and admitted that we could have improved on our instructions and do a better job of having all of the parts available in one shipment. There is a learning curve for us here, it is unfortunate that any of my customers that recieve the kit have to suffer in any shape or form because of it.

This is the reason we are suspending mail order sales because if someone has the slightest problem and posts about it, people take that the wrong way and it makes my company look bad.Even though there are many good posts about the quality work that we do here, everyone will overlook all the good with something that is remotely incorrect.

I would love to be able to sell our kits mail order, but is not in our best intrest as I will not sell anything that would pose any type of problem for my customer that expects only the best from us. So as I said before, until I can make the kit at least 99% hassle free and have it manufactured for a customer in a week [Since my 3 - sometimes 9 week lead times seem to not be good enough], or hold at least 10 kits at anytime in stock so i can ship them out immediatly.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAv Scott..

Get the twin Walbro's installed, up the boost and lets get her on the dyno..

Let me know if you need help with the twin walbro setup, as I've done a few of them..

Clint
Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
Hey Leo, you didn't answer my question. Please respond with a YES or NO.
Young I answered your PM, no need to post it in here, really off topic.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

This **** is funny. I got my kit and me and a friend installed the turbo all except the intercooler in one night about 5 hours and that's also without instrutuctoins. We didn't get them till the next day. That also includes takeing transmission out and getting ready for my new clutch.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So 02 you traded up your 61 s turbo ?
And Byun your last post is not very clear.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

The point is we put it on in a weekend complete. Everything clutch in take pump turbo and intercooler. Never said it was easy alot of it was common sense. And yes I have a T76 going in my car will be ready next weekend. Leo and GMR are really good people. They are small company and doing the best they can. The kit was ******* awesome looking so very complete you just can't understand until you have seen a box come in on ups the size of a coffin. The stuff looks amazing. Yes the instructions sucked but Leo gave me his cell number and said he would walk me threw any problems on his Friday night. I will tell you one thing Leo has jumped threw hoops for me. He is really good to deal with. So we will have some numbers from my car next weekend when I go pick it up. Going for a conservitve 650RWH.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02SSLE
This **** is funny. I got my kit and me and a friend installed the turbo all except the intercooler in one night about 5 hours and that's also without instrutuctoins. We didn't get them till the next day. That also includes takeing transmission out and getting ready for my new clutch.
I think a lot of people are misreading into a lot of this. This is not a bitch session, but rather a documentary of the install. We installed all of this in my garage on jack stands which doesn't make things easy, but proves that it's possible if you're willing to invest the time. Without a question, with better tools and a lift, this could have been done much quicker.

My car was down for approximately 5 weeks. The first week, we worked 5 days straight on it, then worked on it a few nights a week for a few hours here and there. Most of the weekends were spent on it as well, but all that time wasn't due to the turbo kit. The first day, we had just about everything torn apart and had put the stock passenger header back in along with lining up the turbo. I decided to order some motor mounts, so we had to take that back off to complete that. The power steering pulley chipped when we took it off, so I ordered a new one and had to wait on that as well. The real problems we had started after we tried to make the turbo fit in:

If you look closely, the downpipe was interfering with the steering knuckle as well as the frame from the bigger head unit. We had to make a few adjustments, then had to bolt it back up and reinstall the knuckle each time to check for fitment. It was bad enough having pound the daylights out of the frame, then attempt to bolt it up to check the fitment. We didn't know about the extra included motor mount plates until calling and asking Leo for some help. Then once we realized that, we had to take the drivers side mount mount back out to put the plates under the k-member. Afterward, the knuckle still needed some grinding to prevent it from rubbing.

In addition, the convertibles are a little different from the coupes with more undercarriage crap on them. This suspension piece specific to the convertible has been nothing but a pain:

The pipe that connects to the i-pipe and has the drivers o2 bung in it had to be cut and proved to be a big challenge as it still doesn't fit in their quite right but is close.

The alternator took some extra time to get right as we had to wait for stores to be open to buy some washers to space it out further from the head since the belt was slipping as well.

Then the last few weeks was waiting on a missing 90 degree reducing elbow for the intake along with some instructions for the WG and BOV. We finally gave up and ordered the elbow elsewhere.

I'd be willing to wager that the same kit installed on a coupe would probably have much less fitment issues aside from the bigger turbo. Looking at the pictures of the car on GMRs website compared to mine, you can see the pipe with the BOV doesn't line up anywhere close to where it lines up on their car.

In all, there were definitely some frustrating issues that we ran into, but we pretty much knew there would be a lot of little issues here and there. Time will be the real test here as this car is a daily driver. From my personal experience so far, I'm a very satisfied GMRSpeed customer and can't stop grinning every time I push the pedal down. GMR has some very nice high quality products and I'm sure anybody else that gets one of their kits will be very happy as well.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Great so when will I receive one? I would definitely like to see a picture of the bracket posted here. When the kit was shipped I was told everything was shipped, this was over a month ago.

Leo, can you post a picture of it online here?
I was at there shop when the were mocking up the bracket a while ago. I've also heard Leo talking to the guy from the machine shop that is right next to there shop about the bracket.
He has always been a straight forward guy, and assume he is being honest with you now.

He has been very honest in this post so far, admitting his mistakes, which is very honorable in my opinion.

Even the customers that did run into some issues with the kit appear to be happy and satisfied with how GMR has handled there issues.

That is a ridiculous statement. People make themselves look stupid and there are more than enough intelligent people here to decide whether someone is stupid or not.
I agree with GMR's reasons for suspending mail order kits it makes perfect sense to me. People ordering these kits are paying alot of money, and deserve to have a first rate product, so if GMR feels the kits/instructions need some fine tuning first that seems like a good business decision to me.
And yes alot of people do misunderstand post they read online, and may take them the wrong way. Hell I'm sure I have in the past too, and I wouldn't call myself "stupid", it just happens.

Ok, from what I understand is that you cannot produce these kits anymore and are having a VERY difficult time since Joel was the fabricator, welder, engine builder and creator of the kit. Joel is no longer there, he left, quit for his own reasons. Please clarify for us and for future customers who are interested in this kit.
Joel leaving has not affected the shop at all. To my knowledge they have already built and delivered at least one kit or more since Joel has left. He did originally fabricate the system, but is not the only fabricator there. GMR has several full/part time employees that are very capable of almost any task, and Joel was only one of them.

I stop by there shop often, as they are building my car currently. I see tons of cars go through there everyweek, and the customers always are very pleased with the service, quality and customer service I. I have had them do several things on my car since they opened and they have always done excellent work for me.

Byunspeed, IMO some of your comments appeared unprofessional, and as a sponsor may look bad towards your company. I don’t know what issues you are having with GMR Speed, but trying to bash GMR on here doesn’t seem like the right place for another sponsor to post.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:59 AM
chronic masturbator

what i dont understand is that byunspeed was buddies with gmr until joel left? I think byunspeed you need to take your personal problems with GMR to pm or hell show up at the shop. honestly i figured they would slow up a bit when joel left just for the fact that they were already undermanned to begin with as i spoke with you before but leo and rick have their **** together and are doing better than before. ALSO the idea of no longer selling mail order kits has been in the works for a while now me and leo had a very long convo about this. there is NO way you can be a all out turbo kit builder/seller/installer and still have a speed shop. if you think its possible you are sadly mistaken. I dont expect you to understand just due to the fact you are a store not a shop. The way a business crumbles is by streching themselves too thin. Its a proven fact! Leo and GMR are not wanting to go down that road. They admitted the faults with the kit and have plans to make it right. Its almost like you want them to fail in their business.

Keep up the good work GMR
Gary
Old 06-10-2006, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, please keep the drama crap out of this thread so that it can remain a technical resource. Some of you guys gab back and forth more than old ladies on bingo night.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

For you guys that want to go with GMR for you turbo needs have no worry. Joel was their principle welder but that has already been addressed and they have another employee now that has been working with/for Leo for some time now. Also the turbo kits are built off jigs so there's not much "fabrication" per say. Although he did a great job with my car I'll admit that Joel did have some customer service/appreciation issues and left many customers upset at him. GMR has everything covered and there are no issues to worry about. Leo has great business ethics and is going to make certain that GMR is here to stay and IMO will be one of the big names in Speed shops in the near future.

Byunspeed, we've heard all your complaining and bashing at GMR. If you really can't deal with them then don't. I think you should quit while you're ahead as I have ready MANY a disturbing comment in the sponsor feedback column about Byunspeed....
Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
GMR has everything covered and there are no issues to worry about. Leo has great business ethics and is going to make certain that GMR is here to stay and IMO will be one of the big names in Speed shops in the near future.

Byunspeed, we've heard all your complaining and bashing at GMR. If you really can't deal with them then don't. I think you should quit while you're ahead as I have ready MANY a disturbing comment in the sponsor feedback column about Byunspeed....

I couldn't agree more. Besides I thought you were lookin forward to being their supplier? Maybe you've promised people complete kits, and as for you mentioning kits 1, 2, & 3 talk to any custom application maker, what do you think they are gonna just make one kit, and not scrap it for a better design? Ummm hell no, this industry is ever evolving, as a sponsor you should know the demand as well as desire is there to ever improve on your product to keep the traffic coming through your shops and not others. I guess you random complaining, leaves me with one other recommendation other than stated above, and that's to BUILD YOUR KIT if you think you can do it better, my money and vote stays @ GMR, as I know Rick, and Leo on the side and would never say one bad thing about them, EVEN IF somethin wasn't to go smoothly they will do everything in their power to make up for it....

As for the rest of you, DO NOT doubt GMR, #'s don't lie.....

Quick Reply: GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ