Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Single digit 6 speed turbo owners help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spec said that their sintered iron stage 5 would work but would make noise. I asked about the dual disk spec and they said it would be about 6-8 weeks before they would be able to get me one. Well Ive only got till Monday to order something . I will call Mcleod again and see whats up with the new lining. Thanks again for everyines help and I will appreciate anymore suggestions.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Imagine that... 800+ rwhp on the stock master/slave, feels like stock engaging/disengaging, and it's a dual disk... DAMN, **** sounds sweet.

GTFORMULA: Too bad you're in a hurry. This clutch sounds so very intriguing.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
why is it that the mcleod needs this aftermarket master when everyone else doesnt?
was it just because its adjustable? or does it produce more hydrolic pressure? if its the latter of the two...why does the mcleod need more pressure to work and hold "as much or less" than a spec V using the stock master?

Old 05-20-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

why is it that the mcleod needs this aftermarket master when everyone else doesnt?
was it just because its adjustable? or does it produce more hydrolic pressure? if its the latter of the two...why does the mcleod need more pressure to work and hold "as much or less" than a spec V using the stock master?
The only way that the McLeod MC will generate more line pressure is if the bore is smaller. As the MC bore is reduced, line pressure goes up and TOB travel goes down. I think the McLeod MC is the same bore as stock. The stock bore on f-body and y-body MCs is 3/4" inch. The nice thing about the McLeod MC is that the pushrod length is adjustable. This can be used to fine tune the pedal position and engagement point of a clutch.

The amount of pedal effort that is required to release the clutch depends on many variables. MC bore size, spring pressure, the pressure plate pivot ratio. All of these will effect how a clutch "feels". Without knowing the specifics of the McLeod clutch it’s hard to say for sure why they recommend their MC. It could simply be that the adjustable rod makes it possible to fine tune the pedal.

Since the McLeod is a 2 disk clutch, I would bet that the spring pressure is relatively light. The torque capacity of that clutch relies on increasing the surface area of the friction surface. By using 2 disks your friction surface is effectively doubled. This same theory goes for the Ram, Spec and all other multi-disk clutches.

Andrew
Old 05-20-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

In light of that, the facts that this prototype Spec, "Feels lighter than stock," uses the stock MC, uses a twin disk set-up, and is holding huge power makes it VERY interesting. I want to know where this is going...
Old 05-21-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so andrew, if i had say....just bear with me here....if i were to have a stock or mc master cylinder...and i had my line going from it to the slave/to bearing, whatever you wanna call it...if i had that line reduce in size...would that effectivly increase pressure? at all?

i have a modified line which is longer than stock. because the turbos are RIGHT where the master and slave connect. so i had some lines fabricated up to connect the 2... am i making sense?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

so andrew, if i had say....just bear with me here....if i were to have a stock or mc master cylinder...and i had my line going from it to the slave/to bearing, whatever you wanna call it...if i had that line reduce in size...would that effectivly increase pressure? at all?

i have a modified line which is longer than stock. because the turbos are RIGHT where the master and slave connect. so i had some lines fabricated up to connect the 2... am i making sense?
Changing line size is not going to do anything as far as how the clutch works or how it "feels".
Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
Spec said that their sintered iron stage 5 would work but would make noise. I asked about the dual disk spec and they said it would be about 6-8 weeks before they would be able to get me one. Well Ive only got till Monday to order something . I will call Mcleod again and see whats up with the new lining. Thanks again for everyines help and I will appreciate anymore suggestions.
FWIW, I talked to Spec last Wed. or Thru., the gentleman I spoke with said the dual disk would be available in 3 weeks.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Cool, does it have a name? Spec stage 6 or something?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Cool, does it have a name? Spec stage 6 or something?
"purevl"
Old 05-22-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Well I went ahead and bought the new twin disk RAM clutch with the 900 series material on it.They pretty much guaranteed it to hold up to 1200 horse. I also got their adjustable master. The total cost was about 1450. I will let everyone know how it works once I break in the motor and get it tuned and to the track.It may be a few months before all of this is done. Thanks for all the input and I thank you.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

There is a quite a good number of happy RAM users... Good luck.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That Spec Dual disc looks like it is a bad mother!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes sir... very intriguing...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

This bitch needed to be brought back for sure.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

Scratches head.... who in the hell wants more than 500RWHP?!?

Gooooood info all!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Scratches head.... who in the hell wants more than 500RWHP?!?

Gooooood info all!
i will quote someone on this forum "too much power is just enough"
Old 07-18-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
Well I went ahead and bought the new twin disk RAM clutch with the 900 series material on it.They pretty much guaranteed it to hold up to 1200 horse. I also got their adjustable master. The total cost was about 1450. I will let everyone know how it works once I break in the motor and get it tuned and to the track.It may be a few months before all of this is done. Thanks for all the input and I thank you.
Im not sure if it was the 910 or what series ram clutch Futral used on my car before he put in the mcleod, but it blew both clutches at around 750-800 rwhp on my setup.

mcleod is holding up really well so far, its just the rest of the car that I need to hold up, lol.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Here's a question for twin disk users....

How do they shift ?? All that extra rotational weight hanging on the input shaft, is going to keep spinning more, during shifts, which would put more strain on synchros and baulk rings ( not sure of US terminology for that one ?? )

I know when I used a MCleod street twin on my last car, which used a Supra box, shifting when racing was never great, but the clutch itself was excellent.

At the minute, I'm on textralia, and think its great. Apparently they will have a twin disk soon.
Although that Quartermaster carbon item looks awesome !!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So does anyone know if that new Spec twin disk is for sale yet? Seems very interesting to me.

Quick Reply: Single digit 6 speed turbo owners help