Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What TH400 torque converter with your turbo set up??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TondSS, please read:

Originally Posted by engineermike
I have a Vigilante "0" pump in my car. That's generally referred to as a 2800 stall. However, when the turbo spools up, it flashes to about 5500. The huge torque production of a turbo motor drastically effects the converter stall speed.

Think about it this way: the converters are generally rated by applying ~350 ft-lb of torque to them and see what they stall to. Now, a 377 with a T-76 at 18 psi boost will make over 1000 ft-lb of torque. So, when you triple the torque input to the converter, stall speed rises quite a bit.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just and update, I went out and played with the trans brake last night just to see how high this converter will stall. Well it goes to 3500 at 0 psi, then about 2.5 seconds later it's at 5 psi and 4000 rpms, another 1.5 seconds and it's at 4500 rpms and 7psi and climbing faster. It would blow right through 5000 rpms in another second.

It can be modulated by throttle of course. I'm hoping on the new stall I can leave the line under 4000 rpms at 5psi if it will hold. I haven't had the car to the track yet so I have no idea what's going to happen.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so then its all about a two step now added two the transbrake! so should i get a 3000 stall or a 3400?? and then with my 2 step i can set that at like 4500 and ready to rock! ALSO STALLING THIS HIGH , WILL THIS HURT THE converter?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The increase in stall speed will continue to build heat. The heat itself can get to a point where it can cause the converter to balloon. The question on whether or not that stall speed is a problem is dependent on what the manufacturer of the converter has to say about it. For the full on race setup like a Neal Chance we stall them much higher than that on the trans brake. Just watch a in car video of Lynch's car on the brake building boost, it's pretty insane how much it can take.

As far as converters go, saying that one went 4MPH faster than another is purely based on the setup of the converter. Sometimes the comparison is fair, but most of the time it's apples and oranges. With the two piece Neal Chance you can get pretty savvy to loosen or tighten your converter up to get a better behavior. Like anything, there are always things that can be fine tuned. Marty knows how to set them up and the converters they make are rock solid.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

you will learn to use your 2-step to control how much boost you make on the line and how hard you will launch. turning it up will load the engine harder against the converter, thus making more boost and more power off the line.

fuddle builds a great turbo converter for a great price and backs it with the best warranty in the business. I've been 5.70's @126 mph in the 1/8th and many miles on the street with mine.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

man that sounds great!!! i really want to go with a fuddle! just not sure if i should go with a 3000 or 3400 if they all go to 5500 and above what does it matter??
wouldnt you pick the 3000 for steetability?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:55 PM
8 Second Club

I think people get too caught in the 'stall' speed. I never heard any talk of stall speed when I talked with Marty and I've never asked what it 'stalls' at because obviously it's not a cut and dry answer. Go with one of the good converter places, tell them what you have, what you want to do, and let them worry about the 'stall speed.'
Old 05-25-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
I think people get too caught in the 'stall' speed. I never heard any talk of stall speed when I talked with Marty and I've never asked what it 'stalls' at because obviously it's not a cut and dry answer. Go with one of the good converter places, tell them what you have, what you want to do, and let them worry about the 'stall speed.'

ya know, I did that in the begining of times when i first got my car and i found if i dont do the research my self , later on after being installed i dont like it or i have to go back to selliing a product i just paid full price for and reselling parts....but i understand were your coming from though
Old 05-25-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what ya mean...... Stenod Told marty what my combo was and what we want it to do and he built it......
I dont even know my stall either......and i really dont care...... as long as it does what i want it to do....
Old 05-25-2006, 07:47 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
I know exactly what ya mean...... Stenod Told marty what my combo was and what we want it to do and he built it......
I dont even know my stall either......and i really dont care...... as long as it does what i want it to do....
They taking it to Milan Saturday? Supposed to be nice 0% chance of rain.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They taking it to Milan Saturday? Supposed to be nice 0% chance of rain.

as far as i know yes............
Old 05-25-2006, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll remind them tomorrow when I stop by. It'll be a good morning at the track.

Rick
Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
as far as i know yes............
How much boost they going to run? Do I need to hook up my boost controller? n/m I won't be there...wait...

Quick Reply: What TH400 torque converter with your turbo set up??