Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The 9 Second STS build...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
Here is what you are refering to......lol. Biggest waste of turbo possibly ever. Whoever picked this unit has absolutely no clue how to pick a turbo.

yes, I thought it was "amusing"
Old 05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Stupid boost
There are couple of LS cars on the track pushing 1500-1700 rwhp..
Pick up a magazine or just show up to next Pro 8.
Paul's (not Cartek Paul) will really put it down.
Previously was 670 rwhp N/A then had a progressive 500 direct port.
Now its a rear mount Thumper.
No need to reply, just go to the newstands this summer.
Attached Thumbnails The 9 Second STS build...-pauls-20zo6-20004-turbo.jpg  

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 05-31-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Reading the posts. I agree you will have a VERY hard time adding larger intake piping, especially if you run anything other than stock manifolds. I have less than 1/4" of clearance between the pro-flo cats on my DynaTech's and the intake pipe. The clearance between the radiator fans and the power steering pump is just as bad. Oval pipe might work, but at the cost of even less ground clearance. You might wish to think outside the box. Run a twin setup. Twin pipes up each side of the car, twin turbosin the rear being powered by a "true dual" setup, twin oil pumps, and merge the intake tracks into a common front mount intercooler. Expensive....sure it would be. But, being a pioneer takes some $$ and the ***** to try it.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 AM
SSU Moderator

BUYAMERICAN: Please list who has run 8's or 7's () with a rear mounted turbo. And please post or link to a dyno sheet of 1500hp with a rear mount. No speculation. No bullshit. No "preparing to" or "building"...just back up your claims please.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:22 AM
9 Second Club

Schantin... Hmmm you have me thinking... what about running the cold side piping just like I had twins... but to one "collector" in the rear with one turbo... this would effectively double the CFM capability of the piping correct???
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
9 Second Club

forgot majorspray just got his running recently, huge turbo out back.... I can't even imagine the lag
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
9 Second Club

Any thoughts on the using the twin cold air piping brought into one collector for a big single?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Schantin... Hmmm you have me thinking... what about running the cold side piping just like I had twins... but to one "collector" in the rear with one turbo... this would effectively double the CFM capability of the piping correct???
Yes it should. There are two Q's that pop into my mind, though.
1. Air turbulance where the intake pipes split from the turbo to the front of the car. Definetly don't want air vortices in boosted air. I guess a smooth two collector transition should negate that.....though not totally sure.

2. Just having enough turbo to pump that much volume of air. Not only do you need a hairdryer that can push that much volume, but one that can be spun in the a$$-end of the car by the already cooling exhaust. With LT's my -67 has problems giving me 5lbs of boost unless it's hot. This could be the real stumbling block. Header wrapping the exhaust and/ or running ceramic coated exhaust pipe will aid in keeping the gasses hot and the velocity up. Might need to get with some engineering friends and think of setting up a "stepped exhaust"....one that steps down from the manifolds to the turbo to effectively increase gas velocity. Like going from a 3" down to a 2.5" between the headers to the turbo. Of course you'll also want to avoid a turbo so big that you're not at full boost till redline, as mentioned before.

Anyhow, just my thoughts. I'd be real curious to see what you can get from it. I'll soon be on an unwanted vacation in the middle east for a year saving $$ for the next round of madness. Your build might help sway my decision on what to do next.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
9 Second Club

You must be with 25th ID.... Yeap I will be on that trip to the sand box with you. We can both save our money in the Iraqi sun. That is a good idea about the stepped down piping size... hmmmmmm.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must be with 25th ID.... Yeap I will be on that trip to the sand box with you. We can both save our money in the Iraqi sun. That is a good idea about the stepped down piping size... hmmmmmm.

WTF??? Jared I though you where a contractor Man you know Im already over here It blows. Do you know when your leaving or around date Man if I dont get to holla at you befor you go be safe both of you. I lost my CO monday just makes me wat to all these insurget ***** My bad but yeah big turbo big boost wrapp the exhaust no need to step to smaller pipe my cause more back pressure problems
Old 06-03-2006, 03:46 AM
12 Second Club

Yep, 25ID. Too bad you'll be there too.....cause how am I supposed to watch you build this thing and see if it works when we're both in the desert!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

Yea yea.. sorry about that. I will be on Camp Victory. Anyways...

Heres a question for everyone... Big cube motor (402-427) low compression for boost... what should we be shooting for to turn the motor? 7k rpm?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyanJ
BUYAMERICAN: Please list who has run 8's or 7's () with a rear mounted turbo. And please post or link to a dyno sheet of 1500hp with a rear mount. No speculation. No bullshit. No "preparing to" or "building"...just back up your claims please.

I'd like to see this myself
Old 06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BUYAMERICAN
Stupid boost
There are couple of LS cars on the track pushing 1500-1700 rwhp..
Pick up a magazine or just show up to next Pro 8.
Paul's (not Cartek Paul) will really put it down.
Previously was 670 rwhp N/A then had a progressive 500 direct port.
Now its a rear mount Thumper.
No need to reply, just go to the newstands this summer.
Read again.
Show up to next PRO 8.
There will be a couple of Rear Mounts there.
ECS (427(20+ psi)), Cartek(388(Current at 17 psi., previously at 13 it ran 9.33 at 149) and the Vette Doctors (402 & 427(Supposely mid 20 psi.)).
It should noted that each of these shops have held many of the fastest C5 quarter mile times in the country since 99. They are all going this way for a reason.

No, not a single one of them will tell you how much power they are running during the race season. They are there to win, not placate your feelings or anyone elses. In fact, if I recollect correctly Paul already stated that on the net.
Attached Thumbnails The 9 Second STS build...-catmiddlefinger.jpg  

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 06-23-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Read again.
Show up to next PRO 8.
There will be a couple of Rear Mounts there.
ECS (427(20+ psi)), Cartek(388(Current at 17 psi., previously at 13 it ran 9.33 at 149) and the Vette Doctors (402 & 427(Supposely mid 20 psi.)).
It should noted that each of these shops have held many of the fastest C5 quarter mile times in the country since 99. They are all going this way for a reason.

No, not a single one of them will tell you how much power they are running during the race season. They are there to win, not placate your feelings or anyone elses. In fact, if I recollect correctly Paul already stated that on the net.

To summarize that - there aren't any and he is just spewing bullshit trying to make himself confident that rear mount turbos are fine for 1500 RWHP.

Thanks, I'll be ditching my twin front turbo setup and moving thoes things to the back of the car where they belong so I can make 1500 RWHP too!

Old 06-23-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Thanks, I'll be ditching my twin front turbo setup and moving thoes things to the back of the car where they belong so I can make 1500 RWHP too!
I'm fabbing up a 7 turbo rear mount with 7 different blow offs so I can play music.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Launching!

You can feel to call any those shops and ask them for their numbers or you can go to the track. Or you can just play with yourself. Its a free country. It will take you a whole ten minutes to make three phone calls. I will tell you that Pauls rear mount car is making quite a bit more than it was before with the 670+500 shot. You do the math. They believe that they will hit 7's on the first day with the new setup. It really is a very nice motor and setup with ALL the goodies.

No, I said there are LS cars on the track making 1,500-1,700 rwhp. I did not say rear, sideways, front mount, F3 Prochager or otherwise. Read an old magazine. This is not an endorsement of any setup, but if you don't reccognize that some of the fastest speed shops in the country are coming to the track with rear mounts then you are sadly mistaken this season. For better or worse, these are the facts. Complain to them if you like. Its just the way it is.

I could care less which way anyone goes. If you like what you have, just keep it and enjoy it.

Last season, each of those shops had a 1,150-1,200 rwhp. car on the track consistantly.

Just so you know, in order to qualify for the PRO 8' this year, you need to be running well into the single digits right out of the box.

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 06-23-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
I'm fabbing up a 7 turbo rear mount with 7 different blow offs so I can play music.
Adjust the BOV's differently, and they'll all make their own chatter in different tones... Perfect.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Restricted User

You can feel to call any those shops and ask them for their numbers or you can go to the track. Or you can just play with yourself. Its a free country. It will take you a whole ten minutes to make three phone calls. I will tell you that Pauls rear mount car is making quite a bit more than it was before with the 670+500 shot. You do the math. They believe that they will hit 7's on the first day with the new setup. It really is a very nice motor and setup with ALL the goodies.

No, I said there are LS cars on the track making 1,500-1,700 rwhp. I did not say rear, sideways, front mount, F3 Prochager or otherwise. Read an old magazine. This is not an endorsement of any setup, but if you don't reccognize that some of the fastest speed shops in the country are coming to the track with rear mounts then you are sadly mistaken this season. For better or worse, these are the facts. Complain to them if you like. Its just the way it is.

I could care less which way anyone goes. If you like what you have, just keep it and enjoy it.

Last season, each of those shops had a 1,150-1,200 rwhp. car on the track consistantly.

Just so you know, in order to qualify for the PRO 8' this year, you need to be running well into the single digits right out of the box.

I do believe you also said there are cars running those numbers, either dyno or track, in which case the general census is Bullshit. Now when Cartek, or anyone else goes out with a rearmount and busts 7's, then you can feel free to post up on how you predicted the future, until then type what you mean to say, not what you want to believe. Just because a shop ran the fastest xxx last few years doesnt mean since they are building a rear turbo car it will be even faster...not only for the need to sort our issues, but have you thought maybe they put together a car to compete at something other than Pro 8? Shoots..
Old 06-23-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

I think this guy is just another internet forum racer.

Quick Reply: The 9 Second STS build...