Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuning straight methanol, gots a question for the meth freaks..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked_95z
I know on my alky control kit, Julio has added a dual color LED. It turns red when the system has turned on and then it turns green once the pump builds pressure. No pressure, no green light as I understand it
Mine also. Unfortunately pressure does not indicate flow. If the nozzle or line plugs up, you will build pressure all day long but it won't be getting to the engine.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of getting one of these "clog detectors" as a failsafe.

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=05
Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Good find. Not much info on that page, though... I can't tell what the indicator setup is: small LED, what? I would assume that the indicator mounts in the cabin?

I wonder what it's reading/measuring to know the difference between flow and clog?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:36 AM
11 Second Club

An indicator is good and all but is there enoguh time, when your blasting down the track, to see the LED and shut it down or let out it before something bad happens??
Old 06-07-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

before track passes i always purge my meth until the engine stumbles to know that next time it comes on it will be working
Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Mine also. Unfortunately pressure does not indicate flow. If the nozzle or line plugs up, you will build pressure all day long but it won't be getting to the engine.
Yes but seeing a red to green transition will let you know the lines are functioning. The inline filter will pickup a bunch of trash so it doesnt accumulate on the nozzle.. clogging it. And if you poured a bucket of sand into your reservoir.. you wouldnt get the green light condition

Keep a tab on where the transition based on your setting affects the change of pressure. So lets say for example at 6 PSI it goes green... I want to see it go green at 6 PSI .. any change to that gives you an indication for something to look for, as a change occured.

The test button can also be used to test the system. There are other ways to make safeguards, but my favorite is a wideband display.. as soon as you stand on the throttle.. you see your AFR's drop to 11.5:1.. all is well.. remember alky is not the only part of the equation, so is your fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, injectors, ecm, etc.. all play a role at WOT..

HTH
Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I'm thinking of getting one of these "clog detectors" as a failsafe.
Its a hobbs switch tied into the nozzle line. The way it works is you go WOT.. if the indicator stays on after you lift... your nozzle is clogged Tooo late
Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
before track passes i always purge my meth until the engine stumbles to know that next time it comes on it will be working
Excellent advice, I do the same and watch my wideband go rich.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lcvette
now also stated above was mention of water being a better cooling component then methanol.. I have also read this and although the specific power output of the mixture will go down as water is not combustable, it will in fact add the advantage of cooling the crowns of the pistons while being turned to steam in the chamber. also it helps to keep plugs clean and remove carbon deposits which in turn staves off detonation. so my question would be for a street/strip setup wouldn't it be advantageous to continue to use a mix of meth and water but perhaps change the mixture to 60% meth / 40% water? or until you find a happy medium of the two? I was warned about running straight meth while still using gasoline is why I ask this, I may have been mislead in that statement but for somereason I remember the explanation being sound.

thanks in advance.

Chris
If you use water, your power will drop compared to methanol. Alky will clean out the motor as well.. anyone who races injecting it and has had a motor apart will attest to zero buildup of any kind.

Put it on a Dyno.. play with your mixing.. post back "Real" results. All else is internet speculation from 14 second cars.

It is easier on the pump/lines/tanks/fittings to run water.. that is why its suggested.

HTH
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wicked_95z
An indicator is good and all but is there enoguh time, when your blasting down the track, to see the LED and shut it down or let out it before something bad happens??
Wide band... but if you dont look at the WB, or other guages.... then nothing will save you

Aftermarket DFI will help, my FAST will add up to 25% fuel if it senses a lean condition.. I run mine -2 to -4 % correction.. and if it blows the FPR line.. it will open up the injectors for instance.

Maybe/possibly/hopefully catching/saving the engine.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Julio
Yes but seeing a red to green transition will let you know the lines are functioning. The inline filter will pickup a bunch of trash so it doesnt accumulate on the nozzle.. clogging it. And if you poured a bucket of sand into your reservoir.. you wouldnt get the green light condition

Keep a tab on where the transition based on your setting affects the change of pressure. So lets say for example at 6 PSI it goes green... I want to see it go green at 6 PSI .. any change to that gives you an indication for something to look for, as a change occured.

The test button can also be used to test the system. There are other ways to make safeguards, but my favorite is a wideband display.. as soon as you stand on the throttle.. you see your AFR's drop to 11.5:1.. all is well.. remember alky is not the only part of the equation, so is your fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, injectors, ecm, etc.. all play a role at WOT..

HTH
Julio, good point and I had thought of that. Should I see green led sometime before a normal boost psi it would be a good indication of a restriction.

Just have to train myself now to keep focus on the AFR and LED when stomping it. Also testing before a pass at the track is a good idea.

Great kit BTW! Thanks so much for it and the support getting it fired up!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent advice, I do the same and watch my wideband go rich.
me too....I always do the WB test before going WOT
Old 06-07-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a hobbs switch tied into the nozzle line. The way it works is you go WOT.. if the indicator stays on after you lift... your nozzle is clogged Tooo late

Well, thanks for the heads up, guess thats checked off. I do run an inline filter.

There are other ways to make safeguards, but my favorite is a wideband display.. as soon as you stand on the throttle.. you see your AFR's drop to 11.5:1.. all is well.. remember alky is not the only part of the equation, so is your fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, injectors, ecm, etc.. all play a role at WOT..
Always have an eye on the WBO2 and it logs into my HPT's as well. No FI car should be without an incar WBO2. Actual AFR and KR is watched religously whether i'm tuning or just cruising around, I damn near log everyday out of habit.

Until I have the $$ to afford your kit, i'll have to stick to what I have and go from there. It might not be considered the "best" but its working perfectly for me now.

14 sec cars? Don't see much of those here on LS1tech

Thanks for the advice here and on turbobuick,
J

Quick Reply: Tuning straight methanol, gots a question for the meth freaks..