Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2 step doesnt build much boost..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
I have the 2 step on a footbrake, as well as 2 step on the t-brake. I am still thinking my 408 shouldnt have any problem building boost in park or neutral on a 2 step alone, no load from the chassis. I will try taking some timing out of it and see what it does.
You will not build boost in park or neutral...your motor is cycling so fast because it has no load and will just eat up all the air you're throwing at it from the turbo. Trust me I've free-revved my car to 7k and it's still in vacuum. No load = no boost.

And why would you try to build boost in park or neutral? You either want to build boost on the t-brake or on the foot brake. No neutral slams. lol
Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
You will not build boost in park or neutral...your motor is cycling so fast because it has no load and will just eat up all the air you're throwing at it from the turbo. Trust me I've free-revved my car to 7k and it's still in vacuum. No load = no boost.

So these harlan two steps are made for no reason? It should act the same as it would on a manual car.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:12 PM
8 Second Club

So these harlan two steps are made for no reason? It should act the same as it would on a manual car.
You have an auto...building boost in park/neutral means NOTHING. Do you have a t-brake or are you foot-braking it?

On stick cars, guys usually can't build much boost on just a 2-step either. Unless the turbo is on the small side. They usually have to retard the hell out of the timing.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
You have an auto...building boost in park/neutral means NOTHING. Do you have a t-brake or are you foot-braking it?

On stick cars, guys usually can't build much boost on just a 2-step either. Unless the turbo is on the small side. They usually have to retard the hell out of the timing.
Have you read this thread? I am 2 stepping the car at 5 k with it in park/neutral, with a 408, a 88, and a auto, 15 degrees of timing. I know for a fact several 6 sped cars with stock displacement motors have made 6-10 lbs with 76mm turbos, tuned the exact same way as mine. I am going to try and take some timing out via the Iat.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
8 Second Club

Have you read this thread? I am 2 stepping the car at 5 k with it in park/neutral, with a 408, a 88, and a auto, 15 degrees of timing. I know for a fact several 6 sped cars with stock displacement motors have made 6-10 lbs with 76mm turbos, tuned the exact same way as mine. I am going to try and take some timing out via the Iat.
Let me know how that park/neutral tuning works out for you...I can only explain something so many times before I realize I am wasting my time...

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Why are you so concerned with building boost in park or neutral? Put it on the tbrake, floor it and go. Auto cars and manual cars are very different.

Even if you do build boost in park or neutral what are you going to do with it? Have you even tried the t-brake? If not, go somewhere and try it, just put it on the brake and roll into the gas then see how much boost you build. If you are looking to break a trans by slamming it into gear then you wont need any boost to so that!

Last edited by orangejuiced86; 06-25-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

I read it, and I saw where people were trying to help you. Did you read it?
Old 06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

I have the same problem with my two step. I build maybe 1lb of boost. I heard that there is going to be a timing trick that Harlan is going to put into the next version??? anyone confirm deny? Harlan?

The 2-step gets me fully out of vacume and into boost (barely) so its a major improvement over without. Would like the whole deal though... good info on this board
Old 06-25-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

What makes a 6 speed car different then a auto car with no load on it(either by neutral, park, or under the stall point)? It concerned me that the car wasnt building boost when similar set-ups were.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No difference... we're referring to staging at the line, you can footbrake an auto or run a trans brake to bring it up on the converter and put the engine under load higher in the rpm range so when you release the brake the car fires out of the hole. The 6 speed car is always stuck in "neutral" when the car is stopped, when in gear or out, because we don't have a converter to slip when the car is in gear, therefore we can't "load" the engine, and spool the turbos unless the clutch is engaged and we're putting the foot to the floor.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there will be a built in retard function in the new 2 step.

Turbo size can play a big role in how much it makes with no load. RPM as well. Kyle's car GT42-76 with a T6 hot side and a 370 inch motor make about 2 psi at 3500 RPM on the 2 step in park/neutral. 3500 against the converter on the brake it makes 11psi, 4500 it's 18.

I'm assuming you're WOT on the 2 step? Just making sure

results make vary for how much it makes, but one this is for sure, turbine shaft speed is WAY up versus part throttle staging.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

I do understand that the car will make boost fine with it loaded, I never questioned that. It was a question, as well as wanting to get some more understanding based on my past results. I can make plenty of boost with a footbrake and 2 step, or on the transbrake and 2 step. Just wanted to know why it wasnt make good boost unloaded on the 2 step. Thanks for all the info..
Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Yes, there will be a built in retard function in the new 2 step.

Turbo size can play a big role in how much it makes with no load. RPM as well. Kyle's car GT42-76 with a T6 hot side and a 370 inch motor make about 2 psi at 3500 RPM on the 2 step in park/neutral. 3500 against the converter on the brake it makes 11psi, 4500 it's 18.

I'm assuming you're WOT on the 2 step? Just making sure

results make vary for how much it makes, but one this is for sure, turbine shaft speed is WAY up versus part throttle staging.
Harlan.... great to hear!! I am not going to run a GT-42 by any means more like a PT76GTS so with what you have said I would expect more like 5-8lbs of boost. When is it going to be up for sale?

Quick Reply: 2 step doesnt build much boost..