Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What options for Birds front ends with FMIC...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

nah, i dont care to keep them, they have a blackout kit on them right now anyway so replacing with a black grill wouldnt look much different and i'll get more flow

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fenix99
that will look badass and very stealthy...if the intercoolers could receive airflow straight on thru the openings under the front turn signals... awesome...but obviously it'll take some time to figure out, and the fabrication for some little stuff here and there...but its definitely worth an attempt, or two or three

hey i like ur car/setup bboyferal, ive been hearing about you and ur T/A at the towers/fuddruckers hangout...im boosting mines soon, well i already did just waiting for a few more misc. parts, i gotta figure out my pcv system(cuz im losssssst on that) and also how you ran ur intercooler and if you kept ur bumper support/foglights bla bla bla....lots of questions for you lol ..ill Pm you about it...i should be 99% done with the charge pipe(s) situation 2morrow afternoon.. (i did a custom rear mount btw)
Hey, man... Ever go to the SSP meets? Lots of domestics, mature crowd of car enthusiasts, and mainly F-body's, Corvettes, and GTO's, though any cars are welcome...

http://www.speedstyleandperformance.com/

Reminders for their meets are posted in the Florida sub-forum here. I'll probably be at the next one, and you can take a look at whatever you want.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Restricted User

*yea ive heard of the meets but never thought it was gettin any real attention...but since you mentioned all the other domestics there and a mature crowd, it must be pretty good..i hate goin to the other hangouts with all these honda's and 240's trying to e-brake the life out of their cars in a parking lot FULL of cars lol...
*yea ill def. go to the next one if ur gonna be there, i just hope it doesnt end early b/c i get out of work like at 10pm =/
**thanks for the heads up on that, ill check the florida threads for time/date etc etc etc
Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fenix99
*yea ive heard of the meets but never thought it was gettin any real attention...but since you mentioned all the other domestics there and a mature crowd, it must be pretty good..i hate goin to the other hangouts with all these honda's and 240's trying to e-brake the life out of their cars in a parking lot FULL of cars lol...
*yea ill def. go to the next one if ur gonna be there, i just hope it doesnt end early b/c i get out of work like at 10pm =/
**thanks for the heads up on that, ill check the florida threads for time/date etc etc etc
I hear you... The novice drifter segment of our beautiful city is threatening nearly every halfway empty parking lot...

Look forward to meeting you.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I stated something....you jumped on my *** for it. It was not directed at you....you just took offense.

Nothing against your method, it's just not for everyone, and that includes me.

And I am contributing.....I'm trying to find out what all is involved with HIFLO's setup in hopes that I can have my cake and eat it too. Capiche?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman09
i really like that idea of the IC(s) behind the little opening under the lights.
Trust me, it doesn't work worth a ****. All the incon owners loathe this charge cooling setup.

The only reason Jim's works so well on his TT LT1 is because he's drawing air directly from the front, the air is traveling down a sealed duct, to an intercoooler which is also vented from the back (requires cutting out the front of the wheel wells). This is sort of the same setup as the radiator configuration on a mid-engined exotic.....heat exchanger at the end of a sealed duct with a pressure release passage behind the exchanger.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
I stated something....you jumped on my *** for it. It was not directed at you....you just took offense.

Nothing against your method, it's just not for everyone, and that includes me.

And I am contributing.....I'm trying to find out what all is involved with HIFLO's setup in hopes that I can have my cake and eat it too. Capiche?
I believe so, but no, I don't think YOU "capiche" what's been said. I stated an alternative. Then, you stated your distaste due to reasons of "******* with the plate." Then, I stated some insight that may have invalidated your two reasons or may not have, depending on how you viewed my conclusions. Clearly, you still disagreed.... Fine and good.

At this point, you COULD HAVE politely told me how the ease/non-ease of switching plates is irrelevant because, as you NEGLECTED to state in your first post, you were not interested in doing any cutting at all... I'm not ******* PSYCHIC.

Instead, you set forth such an explanation, HOWEVER, WITH THE FOLLOWING that was unnecessary:

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
I must have stuttered......would you like me to repeat myself, so you don't have to ask anymore rhetorical questions
I thought that was a little sarcastic (was I wrong?) considering the foregoing and responded in kind (was I too sarcastic back?)... Took offense? Sorry buddy, I thought we were playing around with the beer chugs and all. If that was your concern, don't fret. I offer you my solemn promise no offense was taken.

Waiting for Hi-Flo? Not a bad idea... but remember this:

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Does the Hi-Flo set-up work? I'd like to hear it from a forum member here who has it installed and running... Let's put it more sweetly: Can any FI car that runs in the 10's and nines with an AIR-to-AIR (not A2W) Intercooler be seen from the front without the IC perpendicular to the ground? Hmmmm... Sometimes efficiency creates trend.
I am a little worried about their set-up, to be honest... But like you, I'm dying to find out.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too am leary about thier setup, and am sceptical until I see some real world results. Things are built a certain way because they were intended to work that way.....you don't often see cars with square wheels.

My motto, "If it ain't broke, TRY not to **** with it." In this case, the common I/C design works just fine...but I find myself ******* with it for just pure asthetics.....ugh.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Heres a couple quick chops i made using the mesh grill in my first posts. What do you guys think? I also threw some mesh over the fog lights as i will have no foglights but i will fill them with the same mesh i use in filler plate.
Attached Thumbnails What options for Birds front ends with FMIC...-fmic-chop-2.jpg   What options for Birds front ends with FMIC...-fmic-chop.jpg  

Old 08-01-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, but you could do the ATI Twins without any front end modification: check out our STS system with ATI twin intercoolers
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

i'm also going for function here as my #1 priority, just thinking of some ways i can make the FMIC look a little better over a huge hole while still being able to perform its function of course. A FMIC will perform way better over the twin ATI's correct? Thats why a lot of ATI guys switch to FMIC correct?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
SSU Moderator

Yes, generally speaking an FMIC in the size that is most used is better than the specific twin intercoolers that come on the ATI kits. However, Jim at Speed Inc. has proven that twin intercoolers work just fine (9's, 199.x mph, daily drivable). You just have to make sure they are big enough. Personally, I'd rather get some built and have Speed Inc. help engineer them and their mounting over just shoving the same ol FMIC in there. I have a TA and to me the open front ends are ugly. Useful, but ugly.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, but you could do the ATI Twins without any front end modification: check out our STS system with ATI twin intercoolers
It's great for the front end, but it's been proven here by some people upping boost that IAT's begin to suck at a specific point. Thus, many ATI procharger guys end up switching to FMIC's anyway.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Yes, generally speaking an FMIC in the size that is most used is better than the specific twin intercoolers that come on the ATI kits. However, Jim at Speed Inc. has proven that twin intercoolers work just fine (9's, 199.x mph, daily drivable). You just have to make sure they are big enough. Personally, I'd rather get some built and have Speed Inc. help engineer them and their mounting over just shoving the same ol FMIC in there. I have a TA and to me the open front ends are ugly. Useful, but ugly.
$$$ Who knows how much they'd ask for... It'd be the **** if they made a bunch as a shelf item or if another sponsor did the same... That'd be awesome!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

found a new picture which looks like a very nice/clean set up....
Attached Thumbnails What options for Birds front ends with FMIC...-tafrontb.jpg  

Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Is that a chop? At first glance of the exposed screw theme, I thought, "Yuck!"

As the seconds rolled by, however, I began to dig it I'll admit.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yea, no chop i dont think. was cruising threw the hottest TA's thread and found it. He sprays though i believe, unsure why he has it but it looks pretty good IMO. the general idea is nice of it but i;d like the stock filler plate used at the border more I think

Old 08-01-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

All that silver is growing on me... Not bad on a silver car... Cool.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

do the same set up... just spray it maple red I'll do it as well and spray it black, lol

Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

MRM grill... Hmmm... I'll tell you what... You got me thinking.

Quick Reply: What options for Birds front ends with FMIC...