Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Something old, something new...turbo swap..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wish I had that problem, at least I can tune the car to hook....with the slow spool hooking isn't the problem

Hope the lil 70 spools fast and traction becomes an issue...then we can sort the car out from there.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:08 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frcefed98
WERD and it'll fit no problem too hmmm....I'd like to see you go turbo this fall tho...can't resist it Kev, its a natural progression, NA-SC-TC...broke or insane
I can resist it pretty easy
Old 07-31-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You sir are a stronger man than me...oh the turbo temptation and all the ills that it brought to the house of Jer

See you guys later, its late and tech is loading up like my car spools...
Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

frcefed98: how much faster do you think a GT42 BB turbo would spool up? I too have heard of the slow spool times on the GT42 but everyone that complains about it is running the non-BB version.

Also, what mm is the comp wheel on your GT42? They now come in 94 and 102mm. Available T4 w/4" exhaust outlet. Or 5" exhaust outlet!
I've been comtemplating the GT42 BB but just wondering how much better the spool would be. Like it to reach 15psi by 4000rpm...
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not nice... That's the same turbo I have on mine! >=( That turbo is GIANT sittin next to mine... Not sure how that would look out back under my car though! =)
Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

keep us updated Jer....... go at least the S78 Man.

Kyle
Old 08-02-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Kyle, Just got back home from the hospital buddy. My appendix(sp?) went south yesterday at about 3am. Went to urgent care about 8, transfered to the op room at another hosptial at about 2:30pm and went to surgery from there. Got out at about 10am today.

Fun past couple of hours to say the least. Can't believe i'm already home. They freaked when I got out of the bed they were wheeling me in to my room, and just stood up and walked to my bed in the room about 25ft away...fresh out of post op.

I'll be getting an S76 or S78, but i'm a lil reluctant to order. Pm me.
J
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Kyle, Just got back home from the hospital buddy. My appendix(sp?) went south yesterday at about 3am. Went to urgent care about 8, transfered to the op room at another hosptial at about 2:30pm and went to surgery from there. Got out at about 10am today.

Fun past couple of hours to say the least. Can't believe i'm already home. They freaked when I got out of the bed they were wheeling me in to my room, and just stood up and walked to my bed in the room about 25ft away...fresh out of post op.

I'll be getting an S76 or S78, but i'm a lil reluctant to order. Pm me.
J
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is that all you have to say Frank?

I had a lappy appy done to me, I was near death......well pain wise I was and all you can say is

3 incisions and about one hours worth of surgery. I came out of the drug induced coma bad tho, knocked down two nurses and the anethesiologist(sp?) when they were waking me up.
But they put up a good fight and did me a number on my shoulder Couldn't figure out why my shoulder was jacked until the surgeon came and told me about it this morning

or are you eeking about the turbo I want to go with?

J

Last edited by frcefed98; 08-02-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn Jer mine did the same thing...... on X-mas day almost 8 yrs ago.... i know how your feeling buddy... exactly how.. LOL

Ill shoot ya PM in a bit.

Take care man.

Kyle
Old 08-02-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Feeling pretty good right now to tell you the truth. A lil sore around the mid section, but just like my old self.

Haven't had to take any pain medication, so thats a plus. They hit me with a morphine injection at about 10am yesterday way before I went into surgery....... That grabbed me by the poo poo
Never had one of those, really felt funny and dulled the pain a quite a bit.

Just glad to be home after a long day, this was my first surgery and second hospital stay(first stay was when I was born )

So it was all a pretty new experience, Everyone at both hospitals were cool and I knew the ambulance driver from high school, made the whole situation easier to go through.

Can't wait to get the hospital bill
Old 08-02-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Feeling pretty good right now to tell you the truth. A lil sore around the mid section, but just like my old self.

Haven't had to take any pain medication, so thats a plus. They hit me with a morphine injection at about 10am yesterday way before I went into surgery....... That grabbed me by the poo poo
Never had one of those, really felt funny and dulled the pain a quite a bit.

Just glad to be home after a long day, this was my first surgery and second hospital stay(first stay was when I was born )

So it was all a pretty new experience, Everyone at both hospitals were cool and I knew the ambulance driver from high school, made the whole situation easier to go through.

Can't wait to get the hospital bill

damn Buddy insurance???????
There goes the S78 $$$

Glad your feeling better.

Kyle
Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

OH **** man, sorry to hear that =(

I hope you get to feeling better soon
Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys, feeling a lot better today. Still a lil sore. Doc put me on a 20lb lifting restriction until I see him again next wednesday. So that gives me some time away from the ol job.....needed a vacation anyway.

Got the new filter put in and took it for a test drive. Spools fast, but the 1-2 shift killed me, really made me feel my operation LOL. So i'll give it a rest as well for a few days.

Kyle, not worried too much about the hospital bill, should be BIG but nothing I can't get past. Just have to concentrate on getting better.

Hope to go to the track friday night as a spectator tho, I'll need a driver to pilot the car down the 1/4 tho...need to test this lil turbo out.

J
Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 AM
9 Second Club

good to hear the new turbo works well.

good luck on the recovery!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

WTF?? I responded to your post tiago, but now its gone???

LS1tech has been jacked up a lot lately

The turbo is a blast so far, i'll need to adjust the tune as the boost is coming in a lot sooner than the GT42 so a few cells were a lil lean, no KR though which was great.

I'll get better, this lil appendix thing caused me some major pain, stupid thing is the size of your lil finger Glad its gone now.

J
Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Just seen this now, sorry to hear about the appendix thing, lost mine standing in the check out line at walgreens. Passed out and I woke up in the hospital, luckily no one stole my wallet lol.

Just take it easy, dont want to end up back there soon, especially if you have to pay for it..
Old 08-03-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

yeup, had mine give out a few years ago while on the can!! I had a moderate/heavy intestinal blockage and boom!! to the hopsital i went!! Funny, good doctor friend of ours to care of me but when i get there in horrid pain, its in the pediatrics section... dam little kids staring at me and saying

"Hey, mister, you dont look so good, you want my pillow?" Cute as hell but damm, i didn't even want to talk.

Wel, i had my surgery around the same time, 3am or so, hour long. Surgeon assistant was HOT and asked me to remove my shorts that i kept on when i changed into the patient robe. "Dude, now is not the time!!" is all i kept thinkin... but it was short lived becuz the sleepy anesthesiologist was a complete dumbass and dropped the overhead "I-V" bag on my face!! At this point the drug was kicking in and all i can remember was that HOT md assistant smiling before she slipped back up where face mask.

I was in the hospital for four days and got out to be at home for another week with an "i-v" in my knuckle area. Sucked!! But i lived it through and dont wish that pain on anyone!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great story obzidian, glad mine went a lil more smoother except when I woke up. I was a lil startled to say the least. Like you said, I wish the pain on no one. IT sucked.

Kev, thanks man, yeah i'm trying to take it easy, but we have a reroof going on over here and the mexi workers keep bugging for stuff like poweroutlets(WTF? Don't you guys have a generator??) and then they were asking to buy my old firebird rim/tires in the backyard I'm like "why you guys scoping my yard"..."and yes they are for sale" Made 200 bucks today

It was already a busy week for me before all this appendix stuff, later on today I have to go work out a contract on a new house purchase

I'm trying to take it easy as I can, don't want to go back to the hospital anytime soon. All the incisions look fine and are healing well from the looks of em. One is right in the belly button tho, can't even touch that without wanting to

Thanks guys

Last edited by frcefed98; 08-03-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL here are the pics of the filter placement...for now..really can't crawl under the car too well. But it fits nicely right here and doesn't hit anything.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I really couldn't lean in for the pics last night.

Thanks to the dude that posted up the link to the AEM dry filters, don't have to worry about K&N OR S&B filter oil jacking up my IC and my IC piping.

Nice to finally run a big filter on a turbo.

Oh yeah 70mm turbo guys, can you hear the turbo spool up? I can't hear mine at all but its making boost real fast. My GT42 was loud when spooling/in boost. This MPT70 is real quiet.

J

Quick Reply: Something old, something new...turbo swap..