Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What does a dying turbo sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a dying turbo sound like?

I hate to even think of this, but I have a very pronounced squeal coming from my engine bay. It is an on/off squeal like something is intermittenly rubbing. Sounds like a metal on metal noise, reminds me of a bad bearing. Squeal gets louder and faster with increased rpm.

I listened close, and used the stethoscope on several items and still cannot really pinpoint it.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had some turbo's fail and they sound like a bad power steering pump, but it's only really noticable when the boost is coming up. When they do that your noticably down on power though. Or the seals go bad and they smoke like crazy.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

YIKES, take off the intake tubing/air filter off the compressor cover. Check to see if the impeller is rubbing on the compressor housing...if it is you'll see scratches, scuffs where the impeller turns.

Can you spin the impeller by hand and does it turn freely?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
YIKES, take off the intake tubing/air filter off the compressor cover. Check to see if the impeller is rubbing on the compressor housing...if it is you'll see scratches, scuffs where the impeller turns.

Can you spin the impeller by hand and does it turn freely?

It spun freely by hand before install. I am getting more worried it is the turbo, since none of my other accesories were having any problems before this.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Boy, you just can’t catch a break!! As forcefed stated, pull off the inlet pipe (while the car is not running obviously) and wiggle the compressor shaft. It should move a little but it should not move enough to touch the side of the compressor. You’ll know pretty quick if it’s a problem. I’m hoping it’s a idler pulley or something, but based on the seller, I’m afraid it probably is not!!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
Boy, you just can’t catch a break!! As forcefed stated, pull off the inlet pipe (while the car is not running obviously) and wiggle the compressor shaft. It should move a little but it should not move enough to touch the side of the compressor. You’ll know pretty quick if it’s a problem. I’m hoping it’s a idler pulley or something, but based on the seller, I’m afraid it probably is not!!
I was gonna say, is this the same kit?? Sorry to hear about all your problems. Did you ever resolve anything?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have your alternator relocated to the passenger head?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

SuperDave, I wish I could get a break!

I pulled the intake plumbing off, compressor wheel spins freely by hand, and has very little side play. Could not get the wheel to touch the side of of the housing. I guess this is good news.

JA, it is the same kit and nothing got resolved.

Westside, yes I do with a TTi relocation bracket. Why do you ask?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

no indication of rubbing anywhere inside the compressor housing?

Pull the DP off and check in there as well, but if one side hits both "should" hit.

Hope its something simple like a misaligned pulley.

J
Old 08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My pullies are slightly misaligned and causes the power steering pulley(dunno why) to cause a loud squeak (louder and faster with rpms) until fully warmed up, at which point it goes away until cooled down again. This may or may not be the problem, but it sounds like it might be possible.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WestSide
My pullies are slightly misaligned and causes the power steering pulley(dunno why) to cause a loud squeak (louder and faster with rpms) until fully warmed up, at which point it goes away until cooled down again. This may or may not be the problem, but it sounds like it might be possible.
Well, my alternator relocation bracket does not quite align with the water pump pulley and the tensioner pulley. I shimmed it with a washer, but it is still off a little (maybe 1/16" or slightly less). And the more I listen to the squeal the more it seems like the power steering pump. It is right in the area of the PS pump and the water pump. No matter where I put my stethoscope I cannot locate the squeak.

Westside, were you able to fix your problem somehow? Even though I dont like the stuff I wonder if some belt dressing may help?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default update

Well, who would have thought. Westside, you were right about the squeal going away when warm. I decided to give it a shot, so I took the car out for a 7-8 minute drive and by the time I was done the squeal was gone as far as I can tell. I have not taken it above 3000 rpm, but up to that point I cant hear the squeal. I did also put some belt dressing on, so maybe that helped get rid of it.

This is very strange

I guess I this makes me feel better that it is not the turbo.

Also, for some reason after driving the car and getting it fully warmed up the smoking seemed to significantly decrease. Not go away completely, but it did decrease. Anybody have a theory on that?

These turbos are very strange beasts.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine did that too... If oil somehow pools in or cokes up, or hell, even has a bad seal, once it gets hot it burns off any oil seeping past the seals. I know mine did that bad until I put the .060" restrictor on it.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Mine did that too... If oil somehow pools in or cokes up, or hell, even has a bad seal, once it gets hot it burns off any oil seeping past the seals. I know mine did that bad until I put the .060" restrictor on it.

I assume you mean my smoking problem? So my problem is not solved then, just covered up. That stinks. What are you guys using for restrictors?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Well, my alternator relocation bracket does not quite align with the water pump pulley and the tensioner pulley. I shimmed it with a washer, but it is still off a little (maybe 1/16" or slightly less). And the more I listen to the squeal the more it seems like the power steering pump. It is right in the area of the PS pump and the water pump. No matter where I put my stethoscope I cannot locate the squeak.

Westside, were you able to fix your problem somehow? Even though I dont like the stuff I wonder if some belt dressing may help?
I used a few washers to shim it out and change the angle a little, it helped the squeak go away for a few days, then it mysteriously came back and it looks like my alternator is out of alignment aaaaagain because the noise is back.

I had the exact same "oh ****, my turbo might be screwed up" thought when I started hearing the squeak at first. Good luck, try shimming and...if necessary a different alternator relocation bracket.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

What bracket do you have? Maybe I will ask smokinhawk about his.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What bracket do you have? Maybe I will ask smokinhawk about his.
I have smokinhawks and it has some alignment issues as well.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, maybe I can live with a sqeak for a bit. I first want to get the darn oil burning fixed.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, maybe I can live with a sqeak for a bit. I first want to get the darn oil burning fixed.
Is there oil in any of the pipes? If your turbo **** the bed it'd burn oil as well
Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ya, oil will drip at the joint of the turbine and downpipe. I have another thread with some pics.

Quick Reply: What does a dying turbo sound like?