Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
either check the 'cam synch override' box or get a tighter timing chain
Very tight double roller chain.

If I check the overide box the car just shuts off @ 6600 (2nd pass in the vid). Once again, 24x passes on the stock PCM and never a missfire except when I had some bad spark plugs..
Old 10-02-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

what wires do you run?

Last edited by kp; 10-02-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:54 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
what wires do you run?
Magnacore.

Its a cam sync error, at least according to the replay logs. I am not going to spend much time with it to be honest, I'll probably put a 99+ PCM in the car and run one of the newer custom operating systems in open loop if I cant get it working.

FWIW Dave here is one of the logs, just RPM and cam sync error (sync error is just on or off), its from the first pass on the vid I posted.

I'm going to put a new cam and crank sensor in and try another BS3 box. The box I used Friday was borrowed but I seen the car it was in rev to 7500rpm many times. I am supposed to be getting my box back with the newest firmware tomorrow, John is out until the 11th so not much else I can do.

Last edited by kp; 10-02-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you think about the Megasquirt setup?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Keith
Did you think about the Megasquirt setup?
Had one a while back, the stock PCM with the newer custom operating systems is a much more elegant solution IMO instead of running two PCMs and software. Megasquirt is a cool little box though..

I got my BS3 box back today with the newest firmware (I borrowed one to make the passes last week) and I'll put a new cam and crank sensor in it tomorow so I'll make a few street blasts and see what happens - keeping my fingers crossed. John is a good guy and I'm sure he can help me get it straightened out - I just get a little frustrated since the weather is good and I'm in a hurry..

After giving it some thought even if I have to make a crank trigger setup, having good working real time wideband closed loop a/f control, built in 2 step, individual spark and cylinder fueling and a hotter spark outweighs putting a stock PCM back in I suppose. I have the car starting and driving pretty nice so hopefully I can get the high rpm thing resolved..
Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kp
Finally got some cool weather (50 degree) and a well prepped track (quick 8 shootout night, lot of 3-4 second cars).

pulled some 1.25 60 foots (2nd and 3rd pass), thats the good news.

bad news is with the BS3 it wont rev past 6500rpm, getting cam sync errors like crazy as soon as it hits 6550 or so Good thing I upgraded from the stock PCM lol.

So while I got some killer 60 foots not being able to shift the car up higher cost me a bit. Previous 1/8 mile best was 6.026, new best is 6.020, well hey its a new best and getting that last .021 seems to be a problem lately..

Few videos, at least the car is leaving well

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/1d9e0...4d00dedd1c.htm

Man, you're so close! You'll get there. Bob
Old 10-04-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Had one a while back, the stock PCM with the newer custom operating systems is a much more elegant solution IMO instead of running two PCMs and software. Megasquirt is a cool little box though..

I got my BS3 box back today with the newest firmware (I borrowed one to make the passes last week) and I'll put a new cam and crank sensor in it tomorow so I'll make a few street blasts and see what happens - keeping my fingers crossed. John is a good guy and I'm sure he can help me get it straightened out - I just get a little frustrated since the weather is good and I'm in a hurry..

After giving it some thought even if I have to make a crank trigger setup, having good working real time wideband closed loop a/f control, built in 2 step, individual spark and cylinder fueling and a hotter spark outweighs putting a stock PCM back in I suppose. I have the car starting and driving pretty nice so hopefully I can get the high rpm thing resolved..
Good to know.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

I wouldn't bother spending the $150-200 for new cam/crank sensors. I can guarantee you they aren't the problem. 6600 was the exact magic number for me too.

Go the external setup or talk to John about the other ideas he had when we were figuring mine out and and you will be fine...bs3 is the best system out there just takes a little work to get the cam/crank stuff right but once it is, you will not regret keeping it. The internal datalogger is the sweetest thing ever! If you need help setting up the external balancer (setting the COP value etc) or need ideas on what works and what doesn't work as far as brackets/wheel thickness/etc, you know my cell. We finally got mine right and it was worth the wait. John had another thing to try that didn't require the external balancer stuff so it might be worth trying and if it works, I might switch to that so I can just use the stock cam/crank stuff again.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
I wouldn't bother spending the $150-200 for new cam/crank sensors. I can guarantee you they aren't the problem. 6600 was the exact magic number for me too.
Well I swapped the box, crank and cam sensor today (its ~80.00 for the two if you buy the AC delco parts instead of going to the dealer) and it seems to be working.

Dont know exactly what fixed it but I made two 1st gear blasts on the street and it pulled right to the 7200rpm limiter with no sync errors. Maybe John did something with latest firmware, maybe it still wont wont work at the track but it wouldnt make it past 6700rpm in 6 passes friday so we'll see.

I have no problem making a pickup bracket, I have made plenty on some pretty goofy stuff, its making a 24 magnet/tooth trigger wheel thats a little tough in the garage

Plus I'm sure I'd have to send the box back again to get it switcted to an inductive pickup instead of the LS1 pickup if I used an external trigger.

We'll see what happens at the track friday, maybe something was changed in the firmware, the box I borrowed was Y5 and this one is Y6 firmware.

All I have to do is figure out how to stop the idle from surging on warmup and I'll be good to go tune-wise. I agree its a nice system, I have worked with a lot of other standalones and this one was very easy to set up. I never drove the car out of the garage and just guessed a VE table and it went out and ran its best ET ever not even reving past 6600 so hard to beat that
Old 10-04-2006, 04:29 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Well I swapped the box, crank and cam sensor today (its ~80.00 for the two if you buy the AC delco parts instead of going to the dealer) and it seems to be working.

Dont know exactly what fixed it but I made two 1st gear blasts on the street and it pulled right to the 7200rpm limiter with no sync errors. Maybe John did something with latest firmware, maybe it still wont wont work at the track but it wouldnt make it past 6700rpm in 6 passes friday so we'll see.

I have no problem making a pickup bracket, I have made plenty on some pretty goofy stuff, its making a 24 magnet/tooth trigger wheel thats a little tough in the garage

Plus I'm sure I'd have to send the box back again to get it switcted to an inductive pickup instead of the LS1 pickup if I used an external trigger.

We'll see what happens at the track friday, maybe something was changed in the firmware, the box I borrowed was Y5 and this one is Y6 firmware.

All I have to do is figure out how to stop the idle from surging on warmup and I'll be good to go tune-wise. I agree its a nice system, I have worked with a lot of other standalones and this one was very easy to set up. I never drove the car out of the garage and just guessed a VE table and it went out and ran its best ET ever not even reving past 6600 so hard to beat that
It was something changed with the box not the cam/crank signals. If you still have the other one, pop it in and you'll get your cam-sync stuff again. I am thinking John has already come up with a fix for the cam-sync stuff and that's good news.

How do you know what firmware it is? I'd like to go back to the stock crank sensor if I could as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
It was something changed with the box not the cam/crank signals. If you still have the other one, pop it in and you'll get your cam-sync stuff again. I am thinking John has already come up with a fix for the cam-sync stuff and that's good news.

How do you know what firmware it is? I'd like to go back to the stock crank sensor if I could as well.
Until I get it to the track I cant tell 100% for sure anyhow, I could swap the box back I guess but I'd have to go take it out of the other car again The firmware is (I assume) written next to the model numbr on the tag. Mine was marked H before but I never made a pass with it, the one I borrowed was updated last fall and was marked Y5 so I assume thats the firmware version.

But, the box I borrowed went 7400 rpm in a stock cranked 346 this summer and ran 5.7 @ 127 so the box is good, although he had the cam sync problem @ 4200rpm but if he switched off the sync test it went away. My box came out of a 7700+rpm 417" solid roller car that ran fine as well, seen it make tons of passes. So its hard to say what it is, the cam sensor is 8 years old, I think I replaced the crank sensor when I put the new motor in this spring but I have a few of them laying here so I dont know which is which now.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
kp
8 Second Club

FWIW here is a log from a little while ago, I just held it up on the limiter for a second in low gear to see if it would get a sync error (orange line) and it didnt. I cant make a full 1-2 pass around here, I'll get thrown in jail 7200rpm no problem..
Old 10-04-2006, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

LOL KP...it is HARD to tune on the street...i am running out of test tracks,,,,,dont want to **** off folks enuff that they call the Po-Pop
Old 10-04-2006, 05:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
LOL KP...it is HARD to tune on the street...i am running out of test tracks,,,,,dont want to **** off folks enuff that they call the Po-Pop
Yea, I have to live with my neighbors and I can honestly say I have the only car like this around so its not hard for them to figure out who it is. The highway is 5 miles away and I dont want to drive there on the slicks/et fronts and I'm too lazy to swap tires since I'm going to the track friday anyhow.

This thing is pretty loud at WOT lol, its easier to get away with street tuning in something a little quiter
Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Kp, which pulley are you running?3.4 or the 3.7?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ujslost2
Kp, which pulley are you running?3.4 or the 3.7?
Still on the 3.7, IATs jumped up too much when I tried the 3.4 the summer but I'll try it again when it cools off a little more.

Quick Reply: New 1/8 mile best Friday night