Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Considering Custom Mid-Mount - Need Turbo Suggestions Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Custom Mid-Mount - Need Turbo Suggestions Please.

Hey Guys....

Not currently a FI guy, but doing the research to hopefully become one.

I have a '99 Bravada (4 door S10 Blazer) that I've swapped a stone stock LQ4 6.0L (317 heads) and 4L80E into (both from a 2004 Silverado 2500). Engine does have an LS6 intake due to hood clearance. Truck is AWD using a NV246 tcase. For now I'm using the stock 80E converter.

I'm looking to do a "mid mount", since the muffler is basically under the rear passenger side seat and it is realistically the only space available anywhere under the truck or the hood.

I don't currently have a horsepower goal. What I desire is some guidance in picking a turbo that would work adequately on the stock 6.0L at boost levels that can be tolerated by the stock parts (ie stock pistons probably means 6 to 8 psi max), but also function well with a bit more displacement or boost (or both, up to maybe 12 to 15 psi on good gas). Future dreams include going to at least forged pistons at the stock displacement, but if I'm going to do that I probably ought to just do a 408.

Having looked at a bunch of compressor maps and ForcedInductions.com's website, I'm thinking about the biggest I should go is a T76, but maybe smaller, like a T70 or T72.

Usage is to be street driven (daily driver). Will see tow duty (4,000lb boat) probably once a week during summer.

Exhaust is currently lightly modified camaro manifolds feeding dual 2.5" pipe head pipes to single 3" (Flowmaster Y) to single 3" cat to 3" cat-back (all bends are mandrel). Manifolds (and extensions) are wrapped part of Y pipe is wrapped (ran out of wrap, so I wrapped where it runs under the torque convertor).

I know there will be a lot of supporting modifications (predominantly fuel system in my case) and the FAQ was very helpful in answering some of those.

What do you guys think (besides I'm crazy, I already know that)?

What other information do I need to supply for you guys to be able to make informed suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Launching!

kinda a noob.....but just ordered a sts for my 05 gto(ls2 6.0)

gt60 was what the kit comes with, i upgraded to a gt67, thats was seems most of the guys on ls2gto.com do

just my .02
Old 10-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Restricted User

Try to set yourself up with a goal. If money isn't an object, obviously go with the largest feasibly possible and you have room to grow. If you're on a limited budget and don't care to "keep up with the Forces"...so to speak, you will be happy with a 70 or 72 on that motor and it will make plenty of power for the street.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the suggestions, guys....

Does anybody have any maps for the GT67 STS is using, or any other info ?(like its a XXXX turbo with a different name to confuse folks, here's the map for it)

After spending some time reviewing compressor maps, I think I'm down to picking between a T72 and a T76. T70 looks too small to me, looking at the numbers, I think it'd be out of breath with a 408 (maybe even the stock 6.0). T72 looks like a pretty good choice. T76 with a stock 6.0L looks like it'd be real close to surge around 2500 to 3000rpm, but would probably be the better choice for a 408. Would love to be able to compare the STS GT67.

I don't have a specific horsepower goal, I'd love to make 500 to 600hp. However, ultimately, I'm looking for a turbo that will be good on the street on pump gas with the 6.0L with stock internals, and yet still be big enough for a 408 if or when I go there (with the capability of supporting higher boost (12psi+) with good gas). Reason is I probably won't get the chance to buy 2 turbos, even if I sell the first and recap some money, I don't think the wife will let me go there......

So, Anybody else got any thoughts or recommendations? Trims? AR's for mid-mount? Wastegate size?

'JustDreamin'

Last edited by 'JustDreamin'; 10-05-2006 at 07:36 PM.