Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Magnacharged F-body track results

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006 | 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Ed,

I'm definatly interested in the progress of your new maggie kit, I'll be considering it for my future project.

Brian

That sounds good Brian,

You know past customers have a special place, and I will do anything I can to make you happy!

Ed
Old 10-19-2006 | 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

Good job Ed glad to hear you are gettin it down thru there,we are going down on sat. we went down last night to shake a car down there was plenty of bite for us Darren didnt have much luck hookin but we had a blast!
Give em' Hell

Brent
Old 10-19-2006 | 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Brent!

That car you guys ran is bad *** from what I hear, Bob said he coasted the last 1/8 mile, and he was still in the low 11's

I'm hoping to make it down on Saturday, we'll see if I make it

Ed
Old 10-19-2006 | 07:13 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Hey Ed

I found another Fbody with a magnacharger on it that has some better track times that show the potential a little better. It's not a fourth gen but, it's got a LS swap and the weight is right in line.

Check out Speartechs signature at the link below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=1124

This is gonna be a great kit IMHO.
Old 10-19-2006 | 08:34 PM
On The Tree

I was gonna be on way to install a blower, next year, but i must confess that i was kind of scare due to the mods i had to do, and all the job consider. But at the end a great and "original" mod.

I will be more than happy to see a plug a play kit as soon as you have it ready, and will be also more than willing to pay for it!! (obviously considering a good price and reliable performance )

Keep up with the good work, and keep the info flowing
Old 10-19-2006 | 10:40 PM
FormerVendor

Wow! Speartech's car is blazing fast! That's the best track time I have ever seen on any Magnuson equipped car! I'm going to have to call John and pick his brain a little.

Rudolph, thanks for the kind words. When I ship kits, they will be complete, and very easy to install. More importantly, they will be as reliable as OEM.

I had a very good teacher, and I learned a lot from him, I just wish he was here to see what I'm doing

Ed
Old 10-20-2006 | 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Wow XLR8, that car packs a hell of a punch.

Ed, keep it up. I'm glad I get to help out in some way with all of this madness lol. I've got faith in the kit though, I've seen some maggies just tear it up. I'm sure ull get it all worked out. Talk to you soon.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ed @ Late Model Speed
I think you meant to say "agressive" H/C cars make 450RWHP

Keep in mind, my cam is a 207/220 .571 .578 118.5, not much bigger than a stock ZO6 cam.
H/C cars that make 450 RWHP use much more radical cams than this.
For reference, my 2002 Firehawk had this exact cam (LPE GT2-3) and slightly less ported heads. It only put down about 380 at the wheels on a dynojet. It idled and drove like stock, though, which is what I was going for. When I added a 6 psi non-intercooled powerdyne, I was pulling about the same power as Ed is now (except I couldn't keep the belt from slipping).

I think he is right on where he should be with his setup, and it looks awesome. I can't wait to see how the intercooled version does.

-Geoff
Old 10-20-2006 | 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's good to see someone doing this. Alot of people have been asking about the Magnuson for f-bodies. It will finally be a reality
Old 10-20-2006 | 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, this car dyno'd at 436 RWHP, which isn't stellar by any means, but it is a good amount of power for a street car setup, which is what these kits are intended to be.

As we all know, one 1/4 mile run is not indicative of the performance potential of a particular setup, but it does give us a good idea of what the blower should be capable of. I think the time is decent, with all things considered.

d james, ,the first production kit should be in my hands in the next 2 weeks, and I should be able to install & tune it in a matter of a couple of days, so I should have results on that setup very soon.

Let me know if I can answer any questions,
Thanks,
Ed
I don't see anything glaringly wrong in your times. 12.4 at 115...with the 1/8 mile at 8.0. Tells me the car was really accelerating between the 1/8 and the 1/4. If you were having a problem with the 2-3 shift....bet it was right about the time you were hitting the 1/8 mile, which will be making those times slower than they should be.

I think if you find and fix the cause of the 2-3 shift issue, you'll be able to get some high 11 second runs from the car. Probably pick up a couple mph in the process too, which is on par for your dyno HP.
Old 10-20-2006 | 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

Originally Posted by Ryan K
So, a Heads, Cam, Converter, LT Header, Blower car, only traps 115 mph? Ouch.

I hope it gets better. Can you post the run down of the time slips? Like 60', 330', 1/8th (time and MPH), 1000', and 1/4?

Ryan K.

my thoughts
Old 10-22-2006 | 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

if high 11's is the best this setup is going to do with all the bugs worked out id be disappointed. like some people said Ive seen full bolton 6 speeds go 12.2@113, and very mild cam would get the car in the high 11's@115-116 for alot less $$$
Old 10-22-2006 | 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

The thing that some people are just not getting is that this setup is not designed for the ultimate 1/4 mile performance. What it is designed for is the casual enthusiast who wants to improve the peformance of his car, without re-designing the whole car.

Obviously, I could spend $6K and make a stock car go a lot faster than this in the 1/4 mile, but I would be giving up things like driveability, idle quality, etc. Some people want a good 100RWHP improvement, without changing any of the charachteristics of the car, that's what this kit is designed for.

If you want ultimate 1/4 mile performance, then a centrifugal supercharger, or a turbo, or a bunch of nitrous is better. Each of those things also have downsides too, so it's just a question of what the owner wants for his car.

Anybody that's ever driven a true 11 sec car on the street knows that it is plenty fast enough to be a very fun ride! Getting everything you need in one box, and the ability to install it all over a weekend, without giving up anything just makes it that much better!

Ed
Old 10-22-2006 | 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The thing that some people are just not getting is that this setup is not designed for the ultimate 1/4 mile performance. What it is designed for is the casual enthusiast who wants to improve the peformance of his car, without re-designing the whole car.

Obviously, I could spend $6K and make a stock car go a lot faster than this in the 1/4 mile, but I would be giving up things like driveability, idle quality, etc. Some people want a good 100RWHP improvement, without changing any of the charachteristics of the car, that's what this kit is designed for.

If you want ultimate 1/4 mile performance, then a centrifugal supercharger, or a turbo, or a bunch of nitrous is better. Each of those things also have downsides too, so it's just a question of what the owner wants for his car.

Anybody that's ever driven a true 11 sec car on the street knows that it is plenty fast enough to be a very fun ride! Getting everything you need in one box, and the ability to install it all over a weekend, without giving up anything just makes it that much better!

Ed
this is the car I want. I want more power, without changing my power band. I want to hit the gas and have isntant power, not have to wait for the boost to build..or go above 3k rpms for n2o. Not to mention how much better of a autox car it would become because I would be able to use just one gear on the courses where I would have to drop down to 1st.

Everyone who knocks this kit, its not about high dyno numbers, its about instant throttle response and under the curve power.

hopefully i can afford this kit soon.
Old 10-22-2006 | 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Out of curiousity Ed, would this maggie be able to fill 7.0 liters of motor ontop of ported LS7 heads??
Old 10-23-2006 | 05:42 AM
Launching!

Whats nice about a charger you have alot less to install. Instead of throwing headers, cam, heads, gears and everything else, you can get a good 100 horses with just the charger. Obviously the other stuff will help greatly, but its not what everyone wants. The thing people forget is these chargers will bring on huge gobs of torque at low rpm, which the large cams will not do. i'd rather have the gobs of torque for my daily driving which my car spends most of its time, not high rpm racing at the track, which my car spends less than one percent of its time. Big cams and heads are fun, but they can get old with the bad gas mileage, surging, high stall convertors, and high revin rear gears, etc. One of the main advantages I'm hoping for with this kit is its ease of passing emissions. Long tube headers and big cams are great, but if you live in a communist state like California, as I do, then you'll quickly appreciate the advantage of having such a kit. Now will the CARB number work with our cars as they do for corvettes-I don't know, but I do know they will pass emissions, which cams bigger than 224/224 114 lsa won't pass. I wanted to get a cam, but opted against it just for that reason, because I wanted much more power than what that cam could give me, and still pass emissions. There are ways of passing even with longtubes, but its just a big headache in my opinion.
When I drove my dads supercharged riviera, that thing was great, power came quick and smooth. THe best part about it was the fact they could get decent power out of the motor and keep good gas mileage, and the engine idled super smooth, at red lights I didn't even have to hold the brakes down to keep it from rolling. The only disadvantage I can see is using higher gas octane, my car pings on the crappy cali gas unless I use the high grade, so hopefully there won't be any problems with the charger.
Old 10-23-2006 | 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by d james
. . . Big cams and heads are fun, but they can get old with the bad gas mileage . . .
Hate to hijack but I don't want the uninformed to be misinformed

I get 32 mpg on the highway in my H/C/N Firehawk

I get over 30 mpg on the highway cruising in 6th at 90 to 100 mph steady

Surging and other maladies regularly associated with Large H/C set-ups can be 95% cured through the following:

Tuning . . . tuning . . . tuning . . . as if THAT word hasn't been posted on Tech 5 Billion times

Even slapping on a Maggie to a completely stock LSX powered vehicle will require, yup, you guessed it, Tuning
Old 10-23-2006 | 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Hate to hijack but I don't want the uninformed to be misinformed

I get 32 mpg on the highway in my H/C/N Firehawk

I get over 30 mpg on the highway cruising in 6th at 90 to 100 mph steady

Surging and other maladies regularly associated with Large H/C set-ups can be 95% cured through the following:

Tuning . . . tuning . . . tuning . . . as if THAT word hasn't been posted on Tech 5 Billion times

Even slapping on a Maggie to a completely stock LSX powered vehicle will require, yup, you guessed it, Tuning

He's right, you must have any setup properly tuned, and with todays tuning options you can get some pretty radical combinations to run pretty smoothly.

The previous poster was also correct in that the magnuson combination will provide absolutely stock-like driveability untill you go full throttle, then you get the benefit of an instant 7psi of boost which produces over 400 ft lbs at the tire. This kit is perfect for owners with little or no mods, and they want a nice big improvemement that they can install and forget about.

Dragon, I don't think so, but there are other options for you. I'll PM you.

Ed
Old 10-23-2006 | 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

well actually...i did not relize it wasnt even intercooled...i just assumed. Now that i see its 5-6psi non intercooled...those numbers are good because with an intercooled setup theres probably 70-100 hp waiting there. THe car is getting so heat soaked right now, I look forward to intercooled numbers. Thanks for your hard work.
Old 10-23-2006 | 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks!, I was just looking at an old issue of GMHTP, and they installed a stock, intercooled Maggie on a CTSV. That car has an LS6 and a 6 speed, and went a best of 12.50@115, so these numbers are right in line. I know I can get this car in the 11's, I just hope I can do it before the weather hits!

Ed