Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Let's talk about PSI and how cams affect it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Probably because most people can reach their goals with small cams and FI. Hey, if you can get in the 9's at 140+ mph with a smooth idle and you're not interested in going any faster, then why switch to a larger cam.

I had an interesting conversation with a local turbo guru tonight. He races a car that runs in the 8's with twin turbo's and a blow-through carb. At one point, he swapped from a 242/242-114 cam up to a 259/259-114 and, lo and behold, the car ran faster with the bigger cam at the same boost level.

Mike
how much faster? Were the weather conditions the same? 60 foot the same?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
how much faster? Were the weather conditions the same? 60 foot the same?
It was something like 6 mph faster in similar weather. I'm not sure how well you can translate his gains to ours, though, since his is a 355 SBC with Pontiac high-port heads, solid roller, blow-through carb, and runs 5.50 at 130+ in the 1/8th.

Mike
Old 11-04-2006, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

makes sense if he has those high flowing heads that a bigger solid roller cam would work better for him in the upper rpm levels. Was he a hydraulic cam before? Picking up 6 mph in the 1/8 is significant.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am bringing this one back up.. I noticed in the entire post no one mentioned what would happen on the other end. We agree that a bigger cam will remove restriction inside the engine, but once it goes out the exhaust will we run into the backpressure issue?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:34 AM

I think it's going to be different for blowers vs. turbos. With the wastegate, the turbo should spin whatever it needs to so it will put out that PSI. Big cam...small cam, you should put out the same PSI. It will affect how efficiently the car runs. Traditionally, a smaller cam with less overlap will work better with a turbo. That's all I have experience with...no blowers.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

A lot of backpressure at the turbo(s) means your turbos are the restriction, given a certain amount of exhaust gases exiting the engine.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
A lot of backpressure at the turbo(s) means your turbos are the restriction, given a certain amount of exhaust gases exiting the engine.
Well that is true. Now explain how a bigger cam would affect this?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VINCE
Well that is true. Now explain how a bigger cam would affect this?
My technical response to that is -I don't know-. What I do know is that when my LT1 was single turbo and backpressure was measured at 2x boost pressure increases in overlap still translated to gains in power.

I convinced myself at the time that the high backpressure was causing reversion so I tried a few different cams, such as reverse splits and high LSA's, etc, which killed power. Ends up that single pattern (or even standard split) cams with relatively tight LSA's have always come out on top with the stuff I deal with so that's what I continue to use.

I can only guess that even with average exhaust manifold pressure being 2x boost pressure a scavenging effect can still take place during overlap due to the high velocity and inertia of the exhaust gases
Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
Stop it Mike, you're just going to screw up what everybody knows as an absolute with that stuff. You can't run overlap with forced induction. Why you'll lose all the boost out the exhaust....lol.

and this particular discussion is not sticky worthy....least not yet.
Sounds like something from the Corvetteforum-
Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by INTMD8
My technical response to that is -I don't know-. What I do know is that when my LT1 was single turbo and backpressure was measured at 2x boost pressure increases in overlap still translated to gains in power.

I convinced myself at the time that the high backpressure was causing reversion so I tried a few different cams, such as reverse splits and high LSA's, etc, which killed power. Ends up that single pattern (or even standard split) cams with relatively tight LSA's have always come out on top with the stuff I deal with so that's what I continue to use.

I can only guess that even with average exhaust manifold pressure being 2x boost pressure a scavenging effect can still take place during overlap due to the high velocity and inertia of the exhaust gases
Thanks for sharing your experience... It is very hard to find someone that actually test. I did a ton of cam testing when I was NA and I can honestly tell you what works going that route.. I am just surprised even with increased backpressure you still gained power via increasing the overlap.. You mentioned tight LSA's have come out on top in your experience.. How tight are we talking?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VINCE
You mentioned tight LSA's have come out on top in your experience.. How tight are we talking?
You should probably be asking about overlap degrees rather than LSA's. . .
Old 06-02-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
A lot of backpressure at the turbo(s) means your turbos are the restriction. . .
I think 99% of the folks on this board fall into that category. However, thankfully, even a turbo with 2/1 backpressure ratio makes more power than a supercharger.

Mike

Quick Reply: Let's talk about PSI and how cams affect it...