Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which Bypass Valve (Vortech)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98

Would you run a BOV on a supercharged app? You could but it would drive you insane in about 2 days.
Define BOV ??

I would class my Greddy's as BOV's ( indeed I would class a Mondo the same way )

I had actually expected them to annoy me, but they really arent that bad.

I have one mounted before, and one after the intercooler.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bypass, bypasses the air out the valve before the boost ever builds(idle and cruise conditions), it slams shut when getting into boost, positive manifold pressure and releases the charge when the throttle is closed. *I've read* if not recirc'ed, and vented to atmosphere the IAT's and IC temps should be a tad lower since your aren't pushing a substantial amount of air through the IC. With the mondo on my D1-SC it definately pushed A LOT of air out the valve at idle and a whole lot more at cruise, so I can see the cooler IAT arguement being somewhat right. Anyone who runs a Mondo bypass or ATI race ready bypass will tell you these things move a lot of air at idle and cruise as well.

BOV's only "blow off" after the throttle is closed after boosting. Most are closed at idle and cruise.

But you should size either to your set ups boost levels to save wear and tear on the headunit(turbo or s/c) my understanding of it
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BOV's only "blow off" after the throttle is closed after boosting. Most are closed at idle and cruise.
My TurboXS RBV (Racing Bypass Valve) is identical to the TurboXS BOV, with the exception of mine has a hose outlet whereas the BOV has a horn. The way they operate, even all the internal parts, are the same. Whether or not they stay open at idle is more a function of how stiff you have the internal spring set up (higher spring pressure will hold more boost) and whether or not your engine creates enough vacuum to overcome the spring.

Mike
Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I had one of those crappy turboxs BOV's too j/k...but i really had one.
I was also going to add that in about the spring and or washers to keep it closed at idle, but figured most people know that already.

tis why I posted most...some people like to run their BOV's with them "cracked" open at idle.

The bypass from ATI or Vortech is designed to be open at idle and cruise.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who runs a Mondo bypass will tell you these things move a lot of air at idle and cruise as well.

The thing is louder than the Procharger. In addition I have had some dumbasses tell me I have a severe vacuum leak (Mondo at idle) .
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the ati race ready and I'ts loud. It pushes about 10-15 vac at idle and when you get off the gas it jumps to about 20-28 vac. Makes alot or racket, its great.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took my car for a spin last night, to "test" it out don't think I have any problems with what I have but it still would be cool to have the mondo bypass valve. I wonder though if i'm at the limit of what I have though. I'd like to throw the mondo on there and see if I pick up any boost.

If the mondo's that loud and annoying sounding i might have to pass up on it though. is there a quieter one available?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
. . . I upgraded to a TurboXS RBV H-34 and haven't had a problem running up to 25 psi.
^^^

Mike

Quick Reply: Which Bypass Valve (Vortech)