Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Goodbye to boost for a while

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye to boost for a while

Well, after venturing into the turbo world for a while I think I have decided to bow out. As many, many folks have said FI is not a cheap game to play. After spending significanlty more than I initially planned, it now seems my engine is not liking boost to well. I am starting to lose some compression, and I am getting more blowby. In truth, I knew the engine was suspect when I started, but you guys know when the bug bites it is hard to resist

Anyway, to build a proper boost capable engine and complete the fuel system/drivetrain will take more money than I should spend right now. I would much rather drive my car than have it sit for a year waiting on money.

I think I will be selling the TTi kit, then hopefully picking up a slightly used stock LS2 from a C6/GTO. I may throw a cam in it, but I will go back to naturally aspirated for a year or two.

Hopefully after a while I will have the finances to try a turbo setup again.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i might have an lq9 with 25000 miles if ur willing to trade. .
Old 11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

well, a forged bottom end is gonna cost a bit. You can always try to fix your current issues but i would factor in that amount towards a new block with quality internals.

You mentioned fuel and drivetrain, what exactly? Clutch, driveshaft, rear, the actually trans? and fuel. My research is that fuel is the least expensive when compared to other parts of the build. If you do it right, you should be ok.

I just hate to see people stray way from something they like. If you have to, then you have to, but, if there is a bit of hope, stick with your guns, i wouldn't sell that kit, and see what happens.

You could drop the kit and keep it until you'll ready to throw it back on again.

good luck!!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 PM

I know how you feel bro, for sure I dont know what Ill do when I lose this motor, probably sell everything, whole fuel system, turbo kit... all of it. I, like you, got in WAY over my head doing this. Little did I know I would end up over $10k for this little project, and I bought everything used or cheap.

Good luck on your venture.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Hell my Firehawk is running out of fuel up top really bad. Untill I add a second Walbro 255, or put a smaller cam back in, I'm not able to make a real top end run without leaning out.

I've got over 12 grand in my kit and I'm selling it for just 9k roughly just 500 miles later. I'm selling out of the 4th gen game completely (not in spirit) selling both my LT1 & Firehawk and I'm just buying a new C6 and saying f#ck it....

I feel for ya man, I'm in a similar mind set. ~Joshua
Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I hate to see posts like this. I've got almost everything together that I think I'll need for my DIY turbo kit (and by that, I mean less than half of what I'll probably end up needing ), but sometimes when I'm cruising along in the Camaro I have second thoughts. I like being able to get in and know it'll turn on and take me where ever I want to go w/out issue... Good luck w/ the turbo kit sale and new motor.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Fix your motor and run 5psi and you will still make more power than a cammed LS2 while spending less. Think about it... You will lose money selling the kit... and then buying a LS2 will cost u as much as a built short block. I would just get a forged 348 from Texas Speed for $2900 or so and run less boost until you can afford a good fuel system in the future.... I was running on the stock fuel system with just injectors and pump for a while making 550rwhp with no problems.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

LOL I learned all that the hard way. So I bought a bunch of expensive **** Oh well. You want to play you have to pay. Really no other way around it
Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Well, after venturing into the turbo world for a while I think I have decided to bow out. As many, many folks have said FI is not a cheap game to play. After spending significanlty more than I initially planned, it now seems my engine is not liking boost to well. I am starting to lose some compression, and I am getting more blowby. In truth, I knew the engine was suspect when I started, but you guys know when the bug bites it is hard to resist

Anyway, to build a proper boost capable engine and complete the fuel system/drivetrain will take more money than I should spend right now. I would much rather drive my car than have it sit for a year waiting on money.

I think I will be selling the TTi kit, then hopefully picking up a slightly used stock LS2 from a C6/GTO. I may throw a cam in it, but I will go back to naturally aspirated for a year or two.

Hopefully after a while I will have the finances to try a turbo setup again.
Sucks to hear, man... Modding our cars is alot of cost and little gain... Too much trouble with mortgages, bills, etc. I hope to hear you getting into it again sometime in the future and realizing whatever goals with your car you have.

One thing... If you do sell the TTI kit, remember to use actual pics of the kit and real descriptions, not phony advertising.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate the words guys. I wish that I could stay in the turbo game, but right now it does not look real good. Also, I did not mention it before, but the mess of **** I went thru to get this car running kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I basically spent about 8 weeks trying to get the kit to work and get my car running without issues. It was disappointing to spend that much time on it, hell I swapped heads/cam and that stuff in one weekend, and had it tuned decently in another weekend. I guess I am getting tired of working on the car all the time instead of driving it.

To the guy that asked about what was left to finish on my car, it is the fuel system and rear end. I only have a racetronix pump; no fuel lines, no rails, no boost referenced FPR. Figure the rear and fuel setup to be at least another $3200.

I know a forged shortblock is not a ton of money, but after just getting married and a honeymoon, my car spending money is pretty low for a while.

We will see what happens. I may as well sell the TTi kit since it is not really what I want. After that, I don't know. If anybody has suggestions I am all ears.

There is one good thing, I am not selling the car. At the least I will be back in a cam or heads/cam car.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see the point of just getting disgusted just on the turbo kit deal alone. In the big picture its just a car, its real easy to get caught up and start credit card racing and up in a bad way. Only thing good about cars is at least you can get 50 cents back on the dollar for the parts as opposed to some other hobbies.

Honestly for a daily driver its hard to beat a nice head/cam setup, add a 150 NX MAF kit for when you have the urge and wait to you have about 20K of disposable cash to start a late model forced induction project
Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt this game costs a lot of money. But it is fun.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Honestly for a daily driver its hard to beat a nice head/cam setup, add a 150 NX MAF kit for when you have the urge and wait to you have about 20K of disposable cash to start a late model forced induction project
WORD!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by kp
I can see the point of just getting disgusted just on the turbo kit deal alone. In the big picture its just a car, its real easy to get caught up and start credit card racing and up in a bad way. Only thing good about cars is at least you can get 50 cents back on the dollar for the parts as opposed to some other hobbies.

LOL... credit card racing.. thats me all the way and you are DEAD ON about the $20k!

If the TTi deal left a bad taste, I would sell it and get the OFI hot parts when you want to get back into it. SOOOOOOO much more potential than that log setup.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Country Boy
LOL... credit card racing.. thats me all the way and you are DEAD ON about the $20k!

If the TTi deal left a bad taste, I would sell it and get the OFI hot parts when you want to get back into it. SOOOOOOO much more potential than that log setup.
Yep, 20k$ would be a good start to get into this game. I also did some credit card racing; you are not alone Carl.

If I were to get a new turbo kit I would go with the OFI or a truck manifold kit.

I did have somebody suggest I buy a used stock LS1 shortblock and just use that in my car so I can keep the turbo. I did see a couple for sale in the $900-1k range. I will have to think about that option a bit.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stock short block will last a long time if you dont get greedy, a single walbro in the tank with a voltblaster or bap will be good to 500rwhp or so. In reality a 500rwhp car is a lot of fun to drive. My old 2000 z28 with a P1SC and a 4l60/ST3500 was a blast and unless you run into a 800rwhp car on the highway I can guarantee you will stay ahead of 99.8% of cars on the road with 475-500rwhp.. That thing had all the emission, a/c, jack and spare and still ran 11.30 at the track (470rwhp) with a 100% stock engine + headers and 16" ET streets with stock wheels all around back in 2000.. Thats still enough to keep up pretty good with a new Z06 stoplight to stoplight

Or even pick up a stock short and do pistons only, I ran my car all year last year (9.70's or so) with stock replacement forged pistons and stock connecting rods with ARP bolts - cant get much cheaper the that..

Its all about self control though, most people just cant be happy with 500rwhp and thats when the money starts flying
Old 11-07-2006, 02:17 PM

KP is a wise man! Look at it this way, youve already burned the money, you already have a working kit now, if the motor goes, do what KP said to do.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I may just do as kp suggested, good suggestion! I will have to work out some cost estimates, but there may be some hope yet of staying FI.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:42 PM

I just added up all my CC balances and Im seriously thinking of bowing out of the game completely... car and all....
Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

I have a healthy 346 short block with only 15K miles on it for sale as soon as i swap in my 408. I also have stock 02 LS1 heads if you want those too. PM if interested.

Quick Reply: Goodbye to boost for a while