Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Measuring blower speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Measuring blower speed

Anyone ever hooked up something, to measure the rotational speed of their blower pulley ??

basically, to allow you to determine the amount, if any, slip you are having in your blower drive system.

It can be using you ecu, or a simple in-car guage. Doesnt matter.

If you have...how did you do it ??
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drill a hole and epoxy a magnet in the pulley, pick up an inductive pickup and use the speedo input of the stock PCM and log it. You would have to add a few magnets and figure out the ratios but it would probably work.

I use the front ABS sensor to work my speedo now, just had to play with the numbers some to get it accurate.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, do you have an external data logger than can accept a frequency?

There are several ways to do it, I am using an infrared sensor mounted to the blower and aligned to see light reflected from a stripe painted on the blower pulley.

Here is a link to the sensor:http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/Pro...V=46&M=QRB1134

Basically you're creating a tach signal to be read by your logger.

Another way is to use a hall effect or VR pickup with a magnet or stud mounted to the pulley. The hall effect sensor is not reliant on rpm to create voltage, nor would it be affected by dirt or dust on the pulley as the optical sensor will be.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I do have a spare wheel speed input on my ecu, which will run a hall sensor.

For 1 revolution, it expects a minimum of 4 teeth, although this shouldnt be a big deal. If I used one tooth, "speed" would just be 1/4 of what I see on the computer.

If I baseline at 1000 engine rpm I could get an easy reference to see if blower speed rises in a linear fashion with engine speed.

Quick Reply: Measuring blower speed