Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Clipped Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clipped Wheel Thread...?

Why was it closed? Still wondering if I can get some solid info on a clipped wheel.

I am still weary about it's pros and cons... whether or not it's worth the trouble. If it really just makes the turbos spool faster or if there actually is a power increase.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

if you got a problem PM a mod... DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER THREAD..

on top of it.. why do you care? Are you going to have the wheel clipped on a turbo? I didn't think so... and if you are... there are better thigns to waste your money on...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dragframe
if you got a problem PM a mod... DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER THREAD..

on top of it.. why do you care? Are you going to have the wheel clipped on a turbo? I didn't think so... and if you are... there are better thigns to waste your money on...
I care... I want to know. Knowledge is power my friend... if i'm NOT gonna do something that some people are. I'd like to have a reason why i'm not going to do it. That's all...

Take it easy man... I want no problems
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I read the thread, and it seemed pretty benign to me. I have a friend who had an S4, and he went 13.1 with a few boltons. I know he did not want to change the turbos, I wonder if he would have considered clipping the blades.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I read the thread, and it seemed pretty benign to me. I have a friend who had an S4, and he went 13.1 with a few boltons. I know he did not want to change the turbos, I wonder if he would have considered clipping the blades.
Well that's what i'm saying... No clear cut answer... or even one that can even be considered a clear cut answer. haha

Just looking for a 2nd and 3rd opinion since only once person gave a description of what "Clipping a wheel" does.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

YEEEaaahh, you're "friend" has a S4 John.....just type it out if you are concerned about it on your Formula.Here I'll ask for you.

Should John get his wheels clipped on his GT47-88??? Would it benefit him positively or negatively if he had this done for him??? Jose, Dr. Turbo?? I wouldn't think a properly sized turbo on a LS1 set up would need to be clipped.

But here is what I found on google about this...
Clipping:

Clipping is the technique of cutting away some of the material on the fins of the impeller wheel of the turbocharger. In other words, to 'clip' a turbo is to make the fins in the exhaust path smaller. The cut is usually done at an angle of between 10 and 20 degrees - the bigger the angle, the more material is removed from the fins.

This may seem like a dumb thing to do, since smaller fins mean that the exhaust gases will impart less force to the turbine wheel and consequently increase turbo lag. This is true, but the benefit of clipping is found in the high RPM range of the motor. At higher RPMs, the turbo may have already surpassed the required user-set boost levels and is not contributing to engine power.

Since the impeller wheel in the exhaust stream partially blocks the exhaust gas flow (by design), it can act as a significant restriction at high RPMs, when the exhaust flow rate is highest. Clipping the turbo reduces this restriction and allows more air to flow past the turbo wheel at high RPMs, thereby improving airflow through the engine and increasing top-end response.

----------------------------------------------
So it increases lag time to only improve top end response....no thanks I'd like a quick hitting turbo that held the power to the end of the 1/4. Not concerned about roll racing so top end response point is moot, 'sides a turbo LS1 has tons of top end response from my personal experiences.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Well that explains it pretty good!
Old 11-17-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Job Jer..... Google works wonders dont it LOL

Kyle
Old 11-17-2006, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

It's not just to improve top end response like it is worded. I believe it is to improve top end hp as well. Too much back pressure and you start making a lot of heat. Clipping allows you to make the same boost but with less heat and possibly allows you to run more boost than you otherwise could. At least that is what I remember from my DSM days. They use clipped turbos fairly frequently. Basically, its a cheap way (read: shortcut) to try and match your turbos capabilities to your engine rather than just buying a turbo with a compressor map that matches your engines capability.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Second Club

good knowledge didnt know that.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry to bring up a dead thread but . . would this help a stock turbo boost more rather then get a biggere turbo
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flash12t
sorry to bring up a dead thread but . . would this help a stock turbo boost more rather then get a biggere turbo

I could see it releaving some of the backpressure at the top end but not making anymore boost..
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah but if you are having backpressure problems, just increase the flow through your wastegate. Either put a bigger gate on or change the routing (dump to atmosphere) so it flows better.

In the dozens of turbocharger systems I've built, I've never used a clipped turbine.

Wheel clipping is a snake oil mod to sell to ricers who don't know that the hell they are buying.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

What about stock turbo cars who want to keep their stock turbos?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo2.4Liter
a clipped turbine wheel and ball bearings with a vortec sc?

Quick Reply: Clipped Wheel Thread