Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo - 708 rwhp and 705 ft lbs of torque, at only 13.5 psi!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Shantin if you go to EPP's web site and go to the project cars, just click on Scott's camaro, you can see pictures of the oil return going to oil pan. I am wanting to get this thing to a track also, i will have to go down south to find a decent track this time of year.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott(382-$T$)
Hey Shantin if you go to EPP's web site and go to the project cars, just click on Scott's camaro, you can see pictures of the oil return going to oil pan. I am wanting to get this thing to a track also, i will have to go down south to find a decent track this time of year.
Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

you guys all keep doing the hard work for me while i save up....thanks for making this eaiser!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Its got the slp long tubes on it. It is wrapped from the collector back until the flange for the turbo. We did not see it necessary to wrap the primary's of the headers due to them being ceramic coated.
You are losing A LOT of heat off those SLPs coated or not. I use to have coated SLPs on my car and went back to the stock manifolds and y-pipe and the difference in spool was HUGE. Neither setup was insulated. If you really want to make the car spool fast go back to the stock exhaust manifolds and insulate up to the manifold, you will be suprised how much faster it spools. I was not able to get more than 13-14psi out of the SLP setup even with holding the waste gate shut.

A T76 is would work better on your setup if you got rid of the SLPs, the 67 is too small. I've seen them snap the shaft at 13psi, spit the exhaust wheel right out the exhaust. When I went from my 67 to my 76 I had zero increase in lag.

Might want to check the back pressure as well. Mine is 45psi at 15psi of boost over 5500 rpms. I'm switching out to a .96 a/r housing and insulating the rest of my exhaust. Should have it up and running next week.

Where those dyno number locked or unlocked and what is the converter rated at and what does it flash to under boost?

My setup made 520 SAE but only 470 Uncorrected on a mustang dyno @ 14psi and I'm going mid 10's. My numbers and your numbers are very different, but it could be due to me being th400.

Last edited by Zombie; 11-25-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
My numbers and your numbers are very different, but it could be due to me being th400.
I would deff say its cause the TH400....
Old 11-25-2006, 09:31 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by navymitch12
you guys all keep doing the hard work for me while i save up....thanks for making this eaiser!
You're welcome... lol Bob
Old 11-25-2006, 09:34 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

You are losing A LOT of heat off those SLPs coated or not. I use to have coated SLPs on my car and went back to the stock manifolds and y-pipe and the difference in spool was HUGE. Neither setup was insulated. If you really want to make the car spool fast go back to the stock exhaust manifolds and insulate up to the manifold, you will be suprised how much faster it spools. I was not able to get more than 13-14psi out of the SLP setup even with holding the waste gate shut.

A T76 is would work better on your setup if you got rid of the SLPs, the 67 is too small. I've seen them snap the shaft at 13psi, spit the exhaust wheel right out the exhaust. When I went from my 67 to my 76 I had zero increase in lag.

Might want to check the back pressure as well. Mine is 45psi at 15psi of boost over 5500 rpms. I'm switching out to a .96 a/r housing and insulating the rest of my exhaust. Should have it up and running next week.

Where those dyno number locked or unlocked and what is the converter rated at and what does it flash to under boost?

My setup made 520 SAE but only 470 Uncorrected on a mustang dyno @ 14psi and I'm going mid 10's. My numbers and your numbers are very different, but it could be due to me being th400.
Thanks for all the info, we appreciate it.

My brother's '95 Formula with it's 4000 stall Neal Chance converter and turbo 400 only shows 367 rwhp on my Mustang dyno, yet it runs 11.32 at 118 mph.

This Camaro SS with the STS has the 4L60E with a locked converter.
Scott will have to tell you what his Vigilante converter flashes to, I'm not sure. Bob
Old 11-25-2006, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Hey Zombie you could be very well correct about my LT's. But when the hammer goes down, the power is there quicker than a lot-lizard (truckstop prostitute) looking for more rock. Not even the hint of any lag at all. The massive hit of torque is overwhelming! Bob and Brent and Chip did a hell of of a job getting things correct from the set up from STS. It seems almost everyone says that the GT-67 isn't good for anything over 600ish HP. Their mustang dyno says otherwise. I spend a lot of time reading here on LS1tech, and there is so much factually incorrect information on here. True I could switch out that 67 for a 76 and would make more power, this i have no doubt what so ever. With the numbers my car put down on a mustang dyno, i would bet that @ low boost(6.8lbs) she will be easily in the 10's, 9's on high boost if she hooks. I hope ya had a good Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Thanks for all the info, we appreciate it.

My brother's '95 Formula with it's 4000 stall Neal Chance converter and turbo 400 only shows 367 rwhp on my Mustang dyno, yet it runs 11.32 at 118 mph.

This Camaro SS with the STS has the 4L60E with a locked converter.
Scott will have to tell you what his Vigilante converter flashes to, I'm not sure. Bob
I figured the number difference was locked converter vs my th400. Your brothers car seems to be similar to mine in dyno numbers/1320 times. It is fun though when people ask me what my car makes on the dyno and I tell them 470 rwhp You guys do some nice work

Last edited by Zombie; 11-26-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Scott(382-$T$), not to be a buzz kill, but the graph you posted does show that it takes quite a bit of time to reach full boost when locked(equivelent to a manual car). 5000 rpms is pretty slow for a 67 turbo to reach peak boost. When you drive it on the street and it's unlocked the converter masks most of this which is a good thing.

I'm not saying to change your setup, I'm just letting you know that there is more available if you want to change it in the future (which you probably will). I hated my SLP headers and they hated speed bumps even worse. Experimentation that my friend and I have done has shown that Jet Hot coating seems to work the best. No idea why it works so much better though. We have tried several combos with long tubes and the jet hot hookers have been the best heat retention wise by a large amount. My SLPs flat out sucked, had to go to a .70 a/r housing to get it to spool like your car does now.

BTW, where is your converter flashing to under boost, where does it stall too on the foot brake before building boost and how fast/much does it spool on the foot brake? What is the converter rated for? I was happy with my 2nd Vig, the first one was too loose and I was blow through it. Do you have any graphs of unlocked pulls?

P.S.... T76

Last edited by Zombie; 11-26-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

I figured the number difference was locked converter vs my th400. Your brothers car seems to be similar to mine in dyno numbers/1320 times. It is fun though when people ask me what my car makes on the dyno and I tell them 470 rwhp You guys do some nice work
Plus we're always having to explain that a Mustang Dyno typically gives lower numbers. Thanks for the compliment, we appreciate it! Bob
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Plus we're always having to explain that a Mustang Dyno typically gives lower numbers. Thanks for the compliment, we appreciate it! Bob
I usually have to explain the same thing. I use a mustang dyno for all the cars that I tune, much nicer than a all the dynojets i've used. I also tell them that the HP number isn't what matters, it's the numbers they get from the track that really matter, I like to use my car as an example
Old 11-26-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats on a 4l60e!!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02Vortech
thats on a 4l60e!!!!
Yep, its a top of the line RPM unit. We use RPM for all our m6 and a4 builds, great service and damn near bullet proof.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow ive always been told that 550whp is the max for a reliable 4l60e- looks like im gonna be making a call to them soon
Old 11-26-2006, 01:44 PM
9 Second Club

I usually have to explain the same thing. I use a mustang dyno for all the cars that I tune, much nicer than a all the dynojets i've used. I also tell them that the HP number isn't what matters, it's the numbers they get from the track that really matter, I like to use my car as an example
Yea well it gets worse when you try to explain the Mustang + TH400 = Low numbers.... but dont bet on the numbers when you go to the track. I think we figured out what Jeremy? That TH400 robs you of 100RWHP numbers on the Dyno... This is a numbers loss on the dyno only...
Old 11-26-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

so what kind of horn is that? It says that it's not an OEM horn...curious to know what it is, or sounds like.....
Old 11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Bob, cna you add on that engine girdle unit? I understand the logic of the piece, but since you installed first hand, what do you think? Any modifications to the block, misalignments, etc?

Car looks really strong. I will say that i wasn't impressed with the rear mounts, however, with a bit more engineering like this form EPP, they can be matched well to produce good power.

Get a t76!!!! and switch to those stock manifolds.... you'll love it!!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
so what kind of horn is that? It says that it's not an OEM horn...curious to know what it is, or sounds like.....
Scott will have to answer this one. Scott? Bob
Old 11-28-2006, 04:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by obZidian
Bob, cna you add on that engine girdle unit? I understand the logic of the piece, but since you installed first hand, what do you think? Any modifications to the block, misalignments, etc?
The girdle fits very well, no modifications to the block that I can remember off hand. It is a nice part that adds structural integrity to the bottom end. Bob

Quick Reply: STS Turbo - 708 rwhp and 705 ft lbs of torque, at only 13.5 psi!