Or "None of the above" ?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
STS = garbage IMO

Go with a procharger.

PROCHARGER = GARBAGE IMO

GO STS IT IS WAY MORE RELIABLE THAN A BELT THAT SLIPS AND IT WONT BE BOOSTING ENG WHEN DAILY DRIVING.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Very sound reasoning on all accounts. Bob

THATS WHERE THE STS COMES IN IT MOVES ALL YOUR ISSUES TO THE REAR AND AS YOU STATED IT MAKES GOOD POWER, WITHOUT THE ENG BAY HEAT OR CLUTTERL, THE PROCHARGER MAKES GOOD POWER ALSO BUT THE CONSTANT WHINE, THE BELT SLIP, THERE ARE GOING TO BE ISSUES WITH EACH, TURBOS TO BOOST UNTIL YOU GET ON IT , PROCHARGER ALWAYS IS BOOSTING ENG STRESS ON ENG ALL THE TIME.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if your looking to make sick power why not put a twin screw on the top of the eng, there have been some dyno sheets out with sick #s from the kenny bell on the ls6???

just a thought
Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I voted for turbo. I had a procharger and never had something so anoying sounding in my life. And im much happier with my turbo setup now.
Never been married?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andereck
Never been married?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smoke20
THATS WHERE THE STS COMES IN IT MOVES ALL YOUR ISSUES TO THE REAR AND AS YOU STATED IT MAKES GOOD POWER, WITHOUT THE ENG BAY HEAT OR CLUTTERL, THE PROCHARGER MAKES GOOD POWER ALSO BUT THE CONSTANT WHINE, THE BELT SLIP, THERE ARE GOING TO BE ISSUES WITH EACH, TURBOS TO BOOST UNTIL YOU GET ON IT , PROCHARGER ALWAYS IS BOOSTING ENG STRESS ON ENG ALL THE TIME.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

THE PROCHARGER MAKES GOOD POWER ALSO BUT THE CONSTANT WHINE, THE BELT SLIP..

What are you talking about, seriously?

You can't even hear the blower off idle. You can drive down the interstate in 6th gear and not even know the car is supercharged.

Belt slip? At what boost levels and what kit? The basic ProCharger system for the LS1 FBody is set up for fairly low boost, about 6-7 psi and uses a small crank and blower pulley and 6rib belt. At this level the belt doesn't slip, even with the small pulleys but its not designed for higher boost levels. The "Race" system that utilizes an ATI balancer comes with a 7.65" crank pulley and 8 rib belt. Most people run 4" or larger pulleys with these systems and don't complain of belt slip. The key is proper belt tension. There is an aftermarket company that modifies the ProCharger bracket for a spring tensioner which removes the belt tension maintenence requirement, but it does essentially the same thing as maintaining proper tension after break in.

Depending on the engine you may never really hear the supercharger at idle either. Many factors come into play with supercharger noise.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PROCHARGER ALWAYS IS BOOSTING ENG STRESS ON ENG ALL THE TIME.

Boost only comes under WOT.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andereck
What are you talking about, seriously?

You can't even hear the blower off idle. You can drive down the interstate in 6th gear and not even know the car is supercharged.

Belt slip? At what boost levels and what kit? The basic ProCharger system for the LS1 FBody is set up for fairly low boost, about 6-7 psi and uses a small crank and blower pulley and 6rib belt. At this level the belt doesn't slip, even with the small pulleys but its not designed for higher boost levels. The "Race" system that utilizes an ATI balancer comes with a 7.65" crank pulley and 8 rib belt. Most people run 4" or larger pulleys with these systems and don't complain of belt slip. The key is proper belt tension. There is an aftermarket company that modifies the ProCharger bracket for a spring tensioner which removes the belt tension maintenence requirement, but it does essentially the same thing as maintaining proper tension after break in.

Depending on the engine you may never really hear the supercharger at idle either. Many factors come into play with supercharger noise.
every procharger or vortech makes an annoying whine noise at idle and while driving - see the previous post of the guy who swapped it for the turbo. they are noisey to me you may like it i dont. belt slip is a problem for the procharger, just like people like to say the rear mount has issues i see the belt slip as a huge problem,

EA
as far as the post above this about the cobra with 725 rwhp i believe epp built a rear mount turbo that made 705 rwhp so the power from a rear mount is available!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

I agree there is idle noise from most ProChargers with straight cut transmissions, but it isn't common to hear the blower itself while driving. Various bypass setups make noise. The LS1 FBody ProCharger kit is set up from the factory to recirculate the bypass air. some people vent it to atmosphere, which is fine but can make some noise.

I consider myself a very objective guy and I really don't think that its right to say that ProCharger superchargers are noisy when driving the car. - and I know there are many people that like gear noise. I don't mind that you find it annoying, because we all have different tastes. I just don't think there's a noise to object to.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

and very respecfully - there are internet problems (perceived problems spread by urban lore) and there are real problems. Real problems are addressed by every reputable manufactuer's engineering department. Internet problems are dealt with utilizing other resources.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Launching!

My procharger coupled to a TIal 50mm is noisy as all hell when Im cruising at 30mph in second gear.........and I love it.

Rest of the time, you cant hear anything (other than the noise at idle, of course).
Old 01-18-2007, 04:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't hear any blower whine at any speeds above idle, the exhaust, even stock exhaust, drowns out any noise from the ProCharger.

These video clips give you an idea.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/movies/ctsv3.mpg
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/movies/ctsv4.mpg
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/movies/ctsv5.mpg

We don't have belt slip issues either. A new belt stretches, and needs to be retightened once after a half an hour of use. After that we don't have any problems. Bob
Old 01-18-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its striclty a personal thing if you like the noise great, im sure some people dont like the hiss of an sts or the waste gate when you let off under boost , i am objective the procharger is a great power adder. i just like my turbo more
Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default Turbo

If You Can Pull Off A Tt Set Up That Operates Properly(under The Hood).
You Will GET Serious Props.may Take A Bit More Work.....but Worth The Wait,and They Have Been Around Since 1901,the Less Moving Parts Used,the Less Likely You Will Be Breaking ****.....anyhow Rearmonts Are Cheaper,and Make Descent Power,but Id Go With A Procharger For A Little Extra......a Little More Than Extra Will Get You A Super Under The Hood Tt(custo) Set Up........baldturbofreak.com...............
Old 01-19-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every procharger or vortech makes an annoying whine noise at idle and while driving - see the previous post of the guy who swapped it for the turbo. they are noisey to me you may like it i dont. belt slip is a problem for the procharger, just like people like to say the rear mount has issues i see the belt slip as a huge problem,

EA
as far as the post above this about the cobra with 725 rwhp i believe epp built a rear mount turbo that made 705 rwhp so the power from a rear mount is available!!!

straight from the horses ***.. i mean mouth of someone who has never owned a procharger..

all you're doing is trying to keep convincing yourself that your STS turbo is the greatest thing ever, since you dropped the dough on one, and beleived everything the morons at STS told you about superchargers.

take a lesson from the great show Wheel of Fortune:

"um yes Pat.. I would like to buy a clue"
Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLk01SS
Isn't a STS twin kit for the vette like 9k???

I'd go APS or TTi, if you can't swing it then get a Kenne Belle. there kits include and hood and the whole nine yards for like 7k
Old 01-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Default ya heard

i would pick a procharger anyday..over sts kit.....but not over a twin under the hood set up done properly

thats just me though.......those STS guys do talk alot of smack too.

you werent refering to me were you??
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
straight from the horses ***.. i mean mouth of someone who has never owned a procharger..

all you're doing is trying to keep convincing yourself that your STS turbo is the greatest thing ever, since you dropped the dough on one, and beleived everything the morons at STS told you about superchargers.

take a lesson from the great show Wheel of Fortune:

"um yes Pat.. I would like to buy a clue"
take your ball and go home little boy, just because i dont follow the path of sheep like you doesnt mean its wrong. i dont have to convince myself about the turbo setup i have , it runs and quite well thank you. now when you join the ranks of boosted you can run your mouth until then sit down and shut up

Quick Reply: STS twin turbo or Procharger D1SC