Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TINKRD

i've owned 700+rwhp daily driven STREET car

yeah i agree with him ya need that as an option....

I see it ALL THE TIME ALSO.....
Some just dont understand what it takes to do it..
Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monte SS had a carbed 383 with big cam and nitrous. Just a bit over 500 on spary. Fun times.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EdmontonSS
Call me a dreamer... I have almost 400 rwhp now. I am putting a cam, and fuel system in this winter to get hopefully in the 420-430 range. Then I plan on a 150 dry shot. I am afraid this will be the limit of the stock short-block. I am hoping to hit 600 rwhp with nitrous... And at least a few times before I blow the engine. I am hoping this will confirm whether or not I really want a 600+ horse car on the street. The way I look at it... 600 HP in a minimum allowable horsepower level for these cars on the street... We don't Ferrari Enzo's walking all over us (do we?)... I am aware that controlling that kind of power is a major issue, which is why I've done the suspension/brake work first. If I like the power and want even more I plan on getting Speed Inc's new street-twin kit with a fully forged engine, this with supporting accesories looks good for the 1000 (flywheel) horsepower mark easily. Until the Speed Inc twin kit came out I was strongly considering a Procharger D1SC, all the other kits were too compromised in my books. I think that with kits coming out without packaging, ground clearance issues, or loosing AC, capable of 1000 HP, there will be a lot more 1000 HP street cars out and about. I mean, this whole hobby is about "keeping-up" with the Jonses... Back in the day, a stripped Model-T pushing out 40 HP was considered outrageous. With modern technology, sooner or later... 1000 HP may become the "norm"! The only thing I can see happening to stop the trend is some real legislation, something that says "no one needs more than XXX HP for the street...." (notice that's three XXX's NOT four...) I mean growing up I always wanted a muscle car, I thought that cars like that would never be built again. Now, with what has happened to cars, since basically, the LS1 came out... I don't want any muscle car, not at the price they're fetching anyway (I think so many people are clueless, especially around here, of what modern technology is capable of), and think one day everyone is going to catch on and realize this is the new golden age of hot-rodding. One thousand horsepower is the new "standard", or will be soon... Whether people need it or can handle it or not (why I see that legislation happening). It's too easy to do and money is cheap... Welcome to "1000 HP era"!
What is your setup?

You have 400+ rwhp and have not done a cam swap yet???????
Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Full bolt-on Lt1 that makes around 300RWHP and about that in TQ. The fastest car I have road in is my Brothers 06 C6 that makes 407 and 411 RWTQ, that thing is a Rocket.
The motor I am building I have been spending money on for the last 2.5 years and I should be finished by the summer. The car should do 650-700RWHP with the 3.2 Blower pulley on the D1SC. I have over 15,000 dollars worth of parts in my shop and I will be ording about 4,000 dollars more in January for the 4L80E setup, and I still have to buy a rearend .

I guess I would be one of the guys that doesn't know what I am getting into, lol
Old 12-12-2006, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

700-820rwhp over the years with the incon kit....daily driven...taken on vacation etc. Kit has been flawless...i have destroyed everything behind it at one time or another though
Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't see nothing wrong with people wanting big power DD's. All I can do is tell em what to expect $$ wise when reaching for that goal and good luck to em when trying to hit that goal. I really think its easier with todays engine packages, tuning technology, and power adders for most people to have a big power DD than it was say 10-15 yrs ago.

Keep up the big goals guys, boards and sponsors love ya for dropping every last dime you have on fufilling that power need

Links to said posts?? maybe i'm missing em...looked 3 pages back and didn't really see one that stood out

J
Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

lots of 1000 hp dreamers here but i think its the younger guys that are so caught up in numbers. I got a little ole 526 rwhp car and it runs pretty damn stout.

honestly i think 750 rwhp would be plenty for me, all i need want is a bigger/blower and some spray. combine that with a car that hooks good and you gotta bad azz machine.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Have to admit I have not had over 450whp in an F-body and that was boring pretty quickly. I have however had a tunnel rammed 540bbc powered chevelle SS with dual demons and about 750hp. Dont talk to me about torque. Had a muncie 4 speed in it and didnt really matter what gear or what speed, tires were toast 335/50/16 cheaters.

I do admit with the orgin of the thread. For what I want to do, its probably going to run around $12K and most folks cant justify that into a car.

Brandon
Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STRIPSTAR
I think his point is that its extremely expensive and complicated to build a 700+ rwhp car that can be truly daily driven. Ajustible boost setups like lingenfelter can do it but they are very pricey. Then when and if you build the 700+ whp car you cant use that much power on the street anyway.
just depends on how much rubber you got out back.

i had no problem planting the power (700+HP) from a 55 punch (4.10 gears) w/ 315/35/17 BFG DR's.

but now i'll be on 325/50/15 MT DR's
Old 12-12-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

I see exactly where you are coming from nineball. I have seen a lot of people making random posts about making 1k hp that prob. don't have a car with any mods done at all. With the LSx motors 500 hp is really not hard to achieve anymore, hell a cam and spray and you are there in a lot of cases. Plus with production cars coming out with 500+ hp off the showroom floor you almost have to have 500+ in a car to hold your own on the street.

Its one thing to dream and talk about owning a 1k hp car, but before you post something about what it takes to build one just do a search there are TONS of other people that have asked the same thing before.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TINKRD
just depends on how much rubber you got out back.

i had no problem planting the power (700+HP) from a 55 punch (4.10 gears) w/ 315/35/17 BFG DR's.

but now i'll be on 325/50/15 MT DR's
Sure if you have a Prostreet setup no prob Haha
Again daily drive(safe?) wouldn't be high tech race rubber. If you live up north you can only drive that stuff in summer. My point from before that if you are doing DD thats 750+ is stupid expensive and people that do have them are rare and should be admired.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I think his point is that its extremely expensive and complicated to build a 700+ rwhp car that can be truly daily driven. Then when and if you build the 700+ whp car you cant use that much power on the street anyway.
That is exactly the point. I get emails/PM's all the time from newbies asking how to make 1000 hp

This is a poll to see how many people truly understand what a 1000 hp car is all about. I've given a few dreamers rides in my various 500-600 rwhp street cars, and it scared the **** out of them. They had no clue what 500 rwhp feels like, much less 1000 hp. The difference between a 415 rwhp heads/cam car and a 500 rwhp stroker car are also MUCH different. That stroker car will feel much more crazy than a heads/cam car will, and we are only talking ~75 hp peak difference.

Too many dreamers get tied up in the numbers game, but don't fully understand what they are wanting to build. I always recommend building a 500 rwhp car first, then seeing if you actually want more than that. I've known several guys that had shops build them 600+ rwhp cars, but they are scared of their own cars and won't even floor them. That is just stupid!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike#9
What is your setup?

You have 400+ rwhp and have not done a cam swap yet???????
I have a '02 Z06 cam now but going to a 226/226 114 +4 with .590 + lift with some Comp Magnums 1.75 rockers. I did the smaller cam first as I do my own tuning and was scared of trying to tune for a big cam along with ported heads, headers, intake, etc... Turns out I had nothing to worry about, and my cam choice will soon be rectified! Dynoed 392 RWHP with the Z06 cam.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?

I noticed most of the guys posting already have street cars over 750hp and have had previous cars over 500hp.

Second Tony is right, most of the guys asking about 1k hp cars truely have no idea what a 500hp car feels like, costs to build and the depth they will go to make it street driven. Hint guys with the money to make 1k hp aren't asking; they are building, lol.

Lastly only eccentric crazed individuals would even want 1k hp in a street driven vehicle of which im working to be a member of that elite group of wasteful spenders.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

I'd love a 1000 horsepower car, my 99 TA had bolts-ons with 2 stages of nitrous. One dry stage, one wet, totaling 200 shot. Never had it dynoed though but should of been right at 500 horsepower. The 2 stages when properly set apart didn't break street tires loose. 650 or so horsepower wouldn't be bad at all on the street, 750 to 1000 would probably have a little learning curve depending on the power adder. It definitely wouldn't be possible to harness a 1000 horsepower nitrous car on the street but twin turbo/supercharged applications should be very drivable.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

wow, my vote really does count!

its my dads race car, but i've been around the track in it a couple times on test days

66 Stingray vert with 67 front fenders

427 bored ot to a little over 454
~730 rwhp
~680 lbs/tq

dad raced it a lot in SCCA, Vintage, VARA ( ), and NASA..all with the big bore series..pretty much dominated the whole Edelbrock family (both daughters and Vic)

over the summer i'm geting into formula ford racing, and working my way up to formula B, and then ont the 66 Vette..and it will probably then be mine

you can see our garage in the last couple pages of the garage thread in tools/fab to see what else i have experience in

my Camaro I'm planning on a TT setup for over 1000 (on mid boost)...but thats probably a few years off..unless next couple years goes well (then maybe sooner)..but it's def NOT going to be a DD, weekend cruiser and setup for track days (probably turn the boost down). but when the car gets to that ponit, i'll have put enough $ into it that it probably just wont be worth it to me to drive a lot..especially on the street
Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Being one of the low power guys I will chime in. First, I would not classify myself as a 1000 hp dreamer. I never have wanted that much power.

My car has been approximately 450 rwhp on the bottle. I have ridden in a 490 rwhp stroker 2001 vette, and a few older musclecars with healthy big blocks.

My current goal for my car is to reach 500-550 rwhp. That is all for now. I am still learning and figuring out what I want to do with the car. When on the bottle the car was a blast, but I wanted a touch more power and power all the time without the nitrous hassles. That was my main motivation for going turbo, not a goal of 1000 hp.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

I currently own a car over 500hp but still under 1000..
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure if you have a Prostreet setup no prob Haha
Again daily drive(safe?) wouldn't be high tech race rubber. If you live up north you can only drive that stuff in summer. My point from before that if you are doing DD thats 750+ is stupid expensive and people that do have them are rare and should be admired.
750+ isn't that expensive. For my cobra it took a motor rebuild with forged pistons/rods, stock heads/cams/intake, a new trans + clutch, a good fuel system, and the PTK turbo kit. Same basic thing for an LS1. I was probably only 12K invested before I went to ported heads, big cams, and a sheetmetal intake. I drive it every day sinice I finished it, except for a few days where I had to go in the field and needed to take my truck. The nitto 555R's arn't even that bad in rain. I think you only see some people getting in trouble with a fast car are the ones that havn't really worked on a car before, and drop their car off at a shop with a blank cheque and a horsepower goal. Not naming anyone in particular........

I must say though, I am liking this car way more than my 91GT before I decided to say **** it and turn it into a race car. I had a 444" small block with a T400, twin GT4294R's, huge heads (290CC intake ports, 2.125 valves), a big sheetmetal intake, big cam, etc. Turning it down for the street it still made over 1000 RWHP through an unlocked converter, and I couldn't go WOT unless it was pointed straight and on a completely flat/perfect road. Got old after not long on the street, so I decided to say if it's going to be a race car lets make it a race car. 25.2 chassis, same 444" motor but with a pair of GT47's
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The difference between a 415 rwhp heads/cam car and a 500 rwhp stroker car are also MUCH different. That stroker car will feel much more crazy than a heads/cam car will, and we are only talking ~75 hp peak difference.
i hear that completely,going from 430rwhp with a baby cam and 100 shot to a lil over 500rwhp now is 2 totally different things the car does things now i never thought it could do whereas before it was that big of a deal

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?