Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Biggest turbo/turbos for C5

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT35R turbo is really something special. On my little sohc 4 cyl it put down 569rwhp and 600rwtq at 35psi. That's with .82 ex housing and turbonetics log mani. I'm switching to a tubular header and 1.02 housing which should put me close to 650.

I can only imagine how sick the 35R would be on a vette, especially twins.

These damn TT deals have me thinking.......
Old 12-16-2006, 06:27 PM
AVB
Launching!

The PTS, and others supporting 76's, offer alot of flexibility relative to where you want to make the power irregardless of cubes. If you're only looking at peak numbers they can all make 850rwhp. Beyond making it at lower boost, big cubes making 850rwhp with power dropping off at 5200rpm is fun on the street but doesn't really offer a performance advantage on a roll or at the track when compared to stock cubes making that same power. Stock cubes will be easier to control as it builds boost, easier on the drivetrain and, most importantly, pull harder past 6500rpm.

With all the bottom end power of big cubes the last thing you want to do is make it uncontrollable. Put a big set of turbo's and compliment the existing powerband by giving it the ability to pull harder and harder to redline. IMO, that's why the rearmounts excel.. but fronts w/ bigger turbos are the best of both worlds.

Arnel
Old 12-16-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess we will find out soon...
Old 12-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AVB
With all the bottom end power of big cubes the last thing you want to do is make it uncontrollable. Put a big set of turbo's and compliment the existing powerband by giving it the ability to pull harder and harder to redline. IMO, that's why the rearmounts excel.. but fronts w/ bigger turbos are the best of both worlds.

Arnel
This is true. My setup does not drop off. My shift light goes off around 6400rpm and the car is still pulling hard until I shift...
Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
AVB
Launching!

Originally Posted by VINCE
This is true. My setup does not drop off. My shift light goes off around 6400rpm and the car is still pulling hard until I shift...
I've been very impressed with the TTiX. Actually, i think it's Phil's experience and assistance he's able to give early on, that I think is the advantage when comparing similarly sized setups.

TTi's answer... it's better than big.. it's secret

Arnel
Old 12-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by AVB
I've been very impressed with the TTiX. Actually, i think it's Phil's experience and assistance he's able to give early on, that I think is the advantage when comparing similarly sized setups.

TTi's answer... it's better than big.. it's secret

Arnel
I use to want to know about my turbos, but what does it matter? I cant upgrade to anything bigger so it does not matter at this point.. The turbo's I have are the biggest that comes with this kit and until they come up with new wheels, etc., I have to enjoy what I have. My gut tells me my kit can make way more power than I can use. There is a similar package(Boost Master) who has posted his #'s on the Corvette board at 14.5 to 15psi.. I think he makes right at 846rwhp/9XXrwtq on pump gas and meth. I dont even think we need the meth, but it is there for safety.. My car is pretty much identical except for a few things. He has a 402ci and I have a 408ci and his cam is very close to mine, but mine is one degree of advance bigger. He has cat's on and I dont.. The thing is we can turn up the boost even more, but the question is why? We dont have traction now. Once my tune is finalized I will post my low boost #'s.. Low boost will be around 13 to 14lbs. High boost will be 14.5lbs to 22lbs for me.. I totally expect the drivetrain to take a crap once I turn up the boost, but hopefully when I get home they will have better parts for the drivetrain by then....
Old 12-17-2006, 04:58 PM
AVB
Launching!

I use to want to know about my turbos, but what does it matter? I cant upgrade to anything bigger so it does not matter at this point.. The turbo's I have are the biggest that comes with this kit and until they come up with new wheels, etc., I have to enjoy what I have. My gut tells me my kit can make way more power than I can use. There is a similar package(Boost Master) who has posted his #'s on the Corvette board at 14.5 to 15psi.. I think he makes right at 846rwhp/9XXrwtq on pump gas and meth. I dont even think we need the meth, but it is there for safety.. My car is pretty much identical except for a few things. He has a 402ci and I have a 408ci and his cam is very close to mine, but mine is one degree of advance bigger. He has cat's on and I dont.. The thing is we can turn up the boost even more, but the question is why? We dont have traction now. Once my tune is finalized I will post my low boost #'s.. Low boost will be around 13 to 14lbs. High boost will be 14.5lbs to 22lbs for me.. I totally expect the drivetrain to take a crap once I turn up the boost, but hopefully when I get home they will have better parts for the drivetrain by then....
I know what you mean regarding the setup for a 402/408. The power curve looks good and Phil's done an excellent job with getting a pretty damn near optimal setup. With regards to needing anything more, I totally agree with the not needing anymore cause it takes major nads to use what it's capable of and deep pockets with regards to the drivetrain. I think we along w/ the great majority is in the same boat with being happy with what we have, but what's optimal for us isn't for necessarily optimal for absolutely everyone else. For those, the flexibility of tailoring how that power comes in without really going for any more power is... the key.

Arnel
Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by AVB
I know what you mean regarding the setup for a 402/408. The power curve looks good and Phil's done an excellent job with getting a pretty damn near optimal setup. With regards to needing anything more, I totally agree with the not needing anymore cause it takes major nads to use what it's capable of and deep pockets with regards to the drivetrain. I think we along w/ the great majority is in the same boat with being happy with what we have, but what's optimal for us isn't for necessarily optimal for absolutely everyone else. For those, the flexibility of tailoring how that power comes in without really going for any more power is... the key.

Arnel
I totally agree.. If you remember on the CF I was going to go PTK, but I was convinced that it was more kit than I would ever need...
Old 12-17-2006, 07:13 PM

LOL.. my high boost is 12lbs and its more than I can even come close to using on the street.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Country Boy
LOL.. my high boost is 12lbs and its more than I can even come close to using on the street.
So just imagine what my car feels like Another thing is I opted for a smaller cam than what my tuner originally wanted to go with. That is another reason why my base boost is higher. If I would have went with what he wanted my base boost would drop 2 to 3lbs via the loss of restriction. I could just change the spring as well if I wanted, but I kind of like having to controll my foot
Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some great info here guys, thanks

Vince, you stated that you have the biggest turbos that you can fit, but your sig says standard small turbos. Can you clarify?

So the turbo size with the TTiX kit are secret? Is that what I am reading?

Where can I find pics of this kit? The TTi website isn't working for me. or is it very similar to the LPE/Grantelli/APS and other low hung kits?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM
AVB
Launching!

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Me too Well, kinda... My springs are 12 and I haven't had the need to turn the **** yet..

Last edited by AVB; 12-18-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
The P.T.S kit is the biggest........twin 66's are a start, and can fit up to twin 76's.
The PTS kit mounts them up top correct? Granatelli's site says their's are twin 76's and they are mounted down below.

does anyone have pics of the TTi or Granatelli's kit?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sr71
I haven't dynoed my car but it has ran 5.59 @ 128 mph in the 1/8th on 15 psi. it's a 402 with twin 76's.
What kit is this?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No Juice
Vince, you stated that you have the biggest turbos that you can fit, but your sig says standard small turbos. Can you clarify?
It's a little CorvetteForum joke as a few jerks were ripping on the TTi Stage X kit for having "small" turbos.. According to them you can't make any power with T3/T4 hybrids..

The jokes on them as there are multiple Vettes in the 9's with X kits.

So the turbo size with the TTiX kit are secret?
They are T3/T4 BB hybrids that flow enough to make north of 850 rwhp.

Where can I find pics of this kit?
Do a search on CorvetteForum.com in the C5 Forced Induction section and you'll find plenty of pics. If you can't find them shoot me a PM and I'll dig them up for you.

Mark
Old 12-18-2006, 08:53 PM
FormerVendor

I'm looking for the biggest set of twins or single turbo for a C5. What are they, what is the power potential, where are they located in the car?

I know the APS kit has twin 38's located where the cats were and are capable of 850rwhp on a 427.

Lets here some more
What are you power goals?

Peter
Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

more than 850
Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

more than 850
The TTi Kit has been there more than a few times on the base turbo's. Its been a proven kit for a long time. A lot more info is available on the other forum.

Dave
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah thats what I have heard but all I have found over there so far is just a bunch of leg humpers and bickering over which kit is better
Old 12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Shorty Director

Well here are some pictures from my car..

Very clean setup that has produced many over 800rwhp cars and some have even went over 900rwhp...

Quick Reply: Biggest turbo/turbos for C5