Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is a supercharger without headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006 | 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nomorews6
I am considering again a supercharger, but am not sure if it is worth it. I have a TR224 cam, a bullet muffler, a lid and a 3500 stall ... but no headers. Is it even worth getting without headers?

For a long time I had your setup minus the cam and stall(I have an M6 in the TA). The blower is worth it. When you add Long tubes and ORY pipe, it picked up a lot more mid-range/top end.

If I were to do it again, I'd get the long tubes/etc first and then get the blower. Just my $.02
Old 12-18-2006 | 09:44 AM
Teching In

I have a quick question. When you are looking to do a reliable FI setup on a stock block, do you typically look at making a certain amount of max boost, or do you look at making a certain amount of max RWHP? If you are look to make a max power, say 500RWHP just as an arbitrary number, and you can make that number with 9 lbs of boost with stock manifolds. But you can make the same power with 8lbs and headers. And maybe you can make 550RWHP with the header at 9lbs, but you want to keep the engine safer and only run 500RWHP. Is it worth the cost of header to make the same power at a little less boost?

I guess what I'm asking is: for a fairly safe setup, should you be more concerned with boost level or power level. And if it is power level, that can you just set the boost to whatever your engine combo needs to make a particular power goal?
Old 12-18-2006 | 05:40 PM
Teching In

I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing the lower the cylinder pressure, the easier it would be on the engine. If headers and no cats lower boost but raise power, I think it would be easier on the engine.

Do ya'll run an egt guage with a supercharger? I'm from diesel drag racing world, I use to have an 11 second Dodge Diesel, and egt guage was one of the first things we installed.
Old 12-18-2006 | 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

clogging up the exhaust is going to cause a bottleneck and raise your egt.
Old 12-19-2006 | 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProtoVette
I guess what I'm asking is: for a fairly safe setup, should you be more concerned with boost level or power level. And if it is power level, that can you just set the boost to whatever your engine combo needs to make a particular power goal?
Excelent question. You're refering to volumetric induction which leans towards a max power level over max boost level. Since the boost psi number is based on resistance of the air and not how much air is entering the motor it can be deceiving. Two motors running 9psi but A has heads and LTs while B is stock block, motor A has a lot more air entering the cylinder for combustion increasing the stress on the motor. Yes it will make more power at the 9psi as well, and that's why.

This is how I ran 12 psi on the stock block... I had the stock LS1 heads on there. I'm sure with 6L heads I would have dropped a few psi for sure and read the same rwhp #. I hope that makes sense.
Old 12-19-2006 | 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by swayse

Do ya'll run an egt guage with a supercharger? I'm from diesel drag racing world, I use to have an 11 second Dodge Diesel, and egt guage was one of the first things we installed.
Nobody that I know of does but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good gauge/tuning aid to have.

Its just knowing what a good EGT reading should be for blowers versus turbos.
Old 12-19-2006 | 06:59 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Short answer: IMHO YES!

Long-*** answer:

My '01 SS (red car in sig) has a Votech V9G w/aftercooler kit running through stock exhaust manifolds, factory cats, SLP Y-pipe, and SLP Dual/Dual with the muffler removed and replaced with straight pipe.

463 RWHP 437 RWTQ

It's very fun to drive and flat out hauls ***. Several notable "victories" to it's credit too.

The car is an immaculate garage queen with 12K miles. I spend all my available time and money keeping the other cars, in particular the Blue Beast, going that I've never had the extra time or cash to go back and screw with it. The car is pretty damn quick and runs great as it is, so I'm not going to "fix it till it breaks" at this point. It has a SPEC III clutch, but stock 10-bolt so I've never taken it to the track and may never. I've got a couple other cars for that.
Attached Thumbnails Is a supercharger without headers worth it?-onthedyno3-smaller.jpg  
Old 12-20-2006 | 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

I did the blower before anything else, why not get the big piece of the pie first? I picked up 100 rwhp-ish off the blower first, and another 30ish with the headers at a later date fwiw. And my blower install time was less than the SLP headers too
Old 12-21-2006 | 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shiftinda93z
I did the blower before anything else, why not get the big piece of the pie first? I picked up 100 rwhp-ish off the blower first, and another 30ish with the headers at a later date fwiw. And my blower install time was less than the SLP headers too
I did the blower first also.... picked up about 100 rwhp also. Added the headers, 42 lb injectors and the SDCE tensioner and gained another 50 rwhp. Just remember once you get the blower, anything you do will require a dyno tune $$$$$.
Old 12-27-2006 | 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ProtoVette
I have a quick question. When you are looking to do a reliable FI setup on a stock block, do you typically look at making a certain amount of max boost, or do you look at making a certain amount of max RWHP? If you are look to make a max power, say 500RWHP just as an arbitrary number, and you can make that number with 9 lbs of boost with stock manifolds. But you can make the same power with 8lbs and headers. And maybe you can make 550RWHP with the header at 9lbs, but you want to keep the engine safer and only run 500RWHP. Is it worth the cost of header to make the same power at a little less boost?

I think there are two parts. First, you have to worry about hp/torque for it being reliable. Too much and your engine is on a quick track to an early retirement. The second thing to worry about with this conversation is heat. I have no data to back this up, but I would imagine 500hp from a blower/header car would have lower intake temps than 500hp from just a blower setup.

If this is true then the header car will be able to have higher power before having to worry about knocking from intake temps. But then there is always meth injection

Anyways, thats my thoughts on the subject

Quick Reply: Is a supercharger without headers worth it?