Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vacuum lines and gauge install Help to Newbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,300 Posts

There's a couple ways. They all involve finding a suitable ignition on source from the fuse block. You can usually use an accessory or a slot that doesn't have a fuse if it's an option the car doesn't have. You need to make sure it only has power on ignition. Now you can either get 1 of the "add a fuse" wires from the parts store and crimp a fast on wire to 1 end and stick it in the empty fuse location.....or the quick an dirty was is the wrap the power wire around 1 of the fuse terminals and shove the fuse in the slot. A word of caution here....you need to make sure you pick the terminal that is AFTER the fuse element. I.e all fuses have 2 terminals, 1 side is the source that has 12v and the other terminal is after the fuse element that will send power to whatever is going to be powered. You pick the post element terminal so you're additional gauge is still fused and not hardwired to 12 volts. The easy way to check which terminal is after the element is remove the fuse and with the key on put a multimeter in 1 of terminals, if it has 12v it's prefuse and if it doesn't have any voltage it's postfuse.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
There's a couple ways. They all involve finding a suitable ignition on source from the fuse block. You can usually use an accessory or a slot that doesn't have a fuse if it's an option the car doesn't have. You need to make sure it only has power on ignition. Now you can either get 1 of the "add a fuse" wires from the parts store and crimp a fast on wire to 1 end and stick it in the empty fuse location.....or the quick an dirty was is the wrap the power wire around 1 of the fuse terminals and shove the fuse in the slot.
Doesn't look like there are any empty fuse slots, but there are empty spaces in the fuse block with just one connection each. Do I just run the power wire to that connection and then use an inline fuse?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

You have to put a multimeter on it and make sure it's only powered when the ignition is on, otherwise your gauges will be powered all the time even when the car is off.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

You have to put a multimeter on it and make sure it's only powered when the ignition is on, otherwise your gauges will be powered all the time even when the car is off.
They're labeled BATT, IGN, and ACC so I'm pretty sure the IGN one is going to be ignition on, right? But what I'm wondering is how to use a fuse when the empty slot only has one connection (i.e. can't take a fuse).
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

That's why you use an add a fuse circuit. Something like. Put a lug on the 1 wire and stick it in the single terminal.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2
Old 04-11-2017, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

That's why you use an add a fuse circuit. Something like. Put a lug on the 1 wire and stick it in the single terminal.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-H.../dp/B000GKEXK2
I don't think that'll fit. The cover sits right up against the fuse block, and the door shuts against the cover. But from some responses on another thread, it sounds like I can just use a flat connector in one of those terminals and an inline fuse.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read through this whole thread and am just more confused on where to run all my vacuum lines on my car? No diagrams or anything to look at.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Odd cause there's plenty of pics in the attachments of the first post and links to a couple vendors diagrams. What's your setup and what are you trying to connect?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Odd cause there's plenty of pics in the attachments of the first post and links to a couple vendors diagrams. What's your setup and what are you trying to connect?
I guess my phone isn’t showing them. Anyways I’m running a single turbo with Intercooler, god speed wastegate, and bov, lnc-2000, and boost leash controller. Running an ls6 intake and no maf.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bjamick
I guess my phone isn’t showing them. Anyways I’m running a single turbo with Intercooler, god speed wastegate, and bov, lnc-2000, and boost leash controller. Running an ls6 intake and no maf.
Bov is referenced to the intake manifold post throttle body. You can use any of the pcv or other ports on the side of the intake or splice into the brake booster line on the back. I haven't used a boost leash before. Does their website have instructions?
Old 02-11-2018, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Bov is referenced to the intake manifold post throttle body. You can use any of the pcv or other ports on the side of the intake or splice into the brake booster line on the back. I haven't used a boost leash before. Does their website have instructions?
Yes it does have some instructions on installing their controller. Just so many people discussing different ways of running lines to their wastegate. Does it go to the top port or bottom port? As for the bov I’ll use one of the ports right behind the tb then.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

WG plumming really depends on what you want to do and the controller. You should always follow the instructions for the equipment youre using. What does the instructions for the boost least say to do?

Quick Reply: Vacuum lines and gauge install Help to Newbs