Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Building a sequential turbo system

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Still having the leaking issue? WHere exactly does it leak from and does it leak when the car sits?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-18-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey speed, more good work mate.

have you got the sequential part of the system working yet?? also what are you using as peramiters to switch the system from single to twin??

thanks Chris.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L"SS&quot
Speed has allowed me to go for a ride in this car and may I say holy **** this car runs good and the craftsmanship is awesome. It will easily hand my car its *** when its all said and done. Now I will have to get a 9lb pully and hope I can at least keep from embarrassing myself . Hey buddy keep up the good work and let me know on that clutch when your ready to install!
Naaa, I don't think you will have any problems with my little turbo car! Your car runs damn good! I think you should get the 9lb pulley! And when you do, I'll have to adjust the wastegate to compensate lol. You'll still kick my ***!

I'm going to swap the clutch and rebuild the trans this weekend. I probably won't start on it until Friday afternoon, depending on when the parts land.

Originally Posted by Superman09
Still having the leaking issue? WHere exactly does it leak from and does it leak when the car sits?
Not now that I went down to the .016 jets. It leaks from between the turbine housing and the center, and into the turbine housing itself. The sitting and leaking symptom is due to the fact that after you shut down the pump, oil pressure is still pushing a little oil into the turbo. I'm also guessing the return line from the pump to the engine is also still full of oil and it drains back to some degree. I pulled the return line off my lowest turbo and there was quite a bit of oil draining out. A solution is to either run the pump for an extra few seconds after the engine is shut down or build an accumulator under your lowest turbo. You might also find a good check valve. That's not a good option for me due to size limitations and I can use the controller keep the pump on for 10 seconds or so after I shut the car down.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
hey speed, more good work mate.

have you got the sequential part of the system working yet?? also what are you using as peramiters to switch the system from single to twin??

thanks Chris.
No not yet. I've got a couple issues to work out on the valving and have to get the boards finished. I'm not expecting to have that functional for a few months as I work through some of the bugs in the system (and over come some laziness).
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Laziness!?!? riiiiight
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok so you run a .016 at each turbo now and its still getting enough? Thats cool. I would like to do the accumulator, but i can't find anyplace lower than the turbo to mount it.... i'll keep plugging away, glad you got your issue worked out!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

any updates speed??????
Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 AM
9 Second Club

I got to check out the car in person and do some rolling burnouts/brake boosting

its crazy how everything fit in such a tight space.

it spools fast, way under 3000 rpms. once the sequential system is in place it will be insane...

looking forward to seeing how it reacts to the added timing
Old 04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any updates speed??????
Naa, nothing too terribly exciting. Just working through bugs and such. I killed the 3rd gear syncro so I had to rebuild the trans last weekend and swapped in my street twin while I was in there. T56s generally aren't bad at all to work on but this one fought me the whole way. I can only hope what I paid in misery making sure everything was perfect in the trans will buy me reliability over the next season or ten. Got it all back together to find what I believe is a bad master which caused the 3rd gear syncro failure. I'm a pretty quick shifter but I do use the clutch. I stab the **** out of it when rowing through the gears so I'm guessing that I blew an internal seal causing it to bleed off pressure and a hard 2-3 shift owned the friction material on the blocker ring. I'm now loosing fluid somewhere although none of it is making it to the ground. I ordered a new McLeod adjustable master so hopefully that will cure the problem this weekend. By the time I'm done, every functional part of this car will be brand new lol.

As far as the turbo, I've been playing with the tuning a little bit and it runs very good for the 6ish lbs it's putting down. I got my wideband installed and have been using that to get a good solid/safe street tune before taking it to the dyno. I would be pretty damn happy if I can put down 500 to the tires on 6psi and pump gas on a semi-conservative tune. I really have no expectations but I'm hopeful.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

I read the thread, sounds like your kit is working great!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

good work speed,

quick question on the sequential bit. what are you going to be using to actualy open the gate to the second turbo??? will it be presure (say set to open as full PSI is reached), and enginer RPM point, throttle possition, or a combination????

thanks Chris.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I read the thread, sounds like your kit is working great!
Thanks! It's still very much a work on progress though. Gotta love it!

good work speed,

quick question on the sequential bit. what are you going to be using to actualy open the gate to the second turbo??? will it be presure (say set to open as full PSI is reached), and enginer RPM point, throttle possition, or a combination????

thanks Chris.
It's actually going to be several parameters meeting thresholds which will initiate a sequential operation. Just seeing how the kit responds in normal twin turbo operation has caused me to rethink how the core control is going to work. At a high level, it's going to read input from various sensors and make a determination on how to respond based on driver demands. Peripheral services such as knock referenced boost control will run parallel to the sequential loop and adjust system control. That's probably clear as mud but it will make more sense to everyone (me included) when I start muddling through it.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it ain't broken, it ain't complicated enough! Good lord Bryan, I need to see this in person so you can explain it all to me! Makes my setup look like it was designed by a kindergartner When is it gonna be ready for a little road trip?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
If it ain't broken, it ain't complicated enough! Good lord Bryan, I need to see this in person so you can explain it all to me! Makes my setup look like it was designed by a kindergartner When is it gonna be ready for a little road trip?

Isn't that the fricken truth! lol. The sad thing is I'll bet you are still faster than I am

I think some of the OKC guys are heading up for a calendar shoot next weekend. If I'm wrapped up, I might tag along.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a few results for you guys. I ran a tri-event this week consisting of back to back road race, drag race, and autox last week. Hell of a lot of work but a HELL of a lot of fun. Anyway, the car wasn't setup particularly well for any of the events. The suspension, alignment, etc was setup for turning and the tires, well, not for anything really lol.

I was running 285 Nitto 555 street tires all the way around. Good tires over all but not an R compound or drag radial by any means. It liked to push into the corners and spin down the strip. Anyway, I'm sure the drag times is what everyone will best relate to so...

I made 4 passes that night. Best ET on the night was 12.82@118.63 at 7psi on a 2.318 60' and best mph was a 12.98@120.53 on a 2.405 60'. Launching low would bog it and anything even remotely resembling boost would turn the track into a spinfest. That was a little over 8psi. It was pretty fun dancing it at 1/2 track (track prep was **** and DA was horrible anyway). The ETs suck but I wasn't expecting to run very well with that on the suspension. I was going to soften the Koni's up all the way on the front to help with the launch but ran late and didn't get a chance to finish it up.

The one run I was able to log, my afr was floating around mid 10s and it maxed the graph on the maf at ~58lbs/min. Supposedly they are capable of reading up to 67 so I adjusted the scanner config and work on it.

Some bugs I'm fighting is the PCV system which I had just moved from the intake to the front of the secondary turbo. It's not getting any obvious blow by so it seems like the boost is getting into the block somewhere. I've also got a boost leak somewhere since my spool time has dropped 1000rpm. All in all, the results show some promise. I think I'm going to swap to an SD tune next week.

I'll let everyone know how shes doing as anything interesting happens!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welllllllll I solved the problem of the slow spool. After the rather anemic times from the track, I'm wondering who thinks this might cause a problem?

oops!

Looks like I must have put the thrust bearing assembly together wrong and it allowed the compressor wheel to walk forward and hit the housing. That in turn threw off the balance and proceeded to own the bearings which allowed the shaft to move around in the bearing housing allowing both the compressor and turbine wheels to impact the housings. Turbine didn't look bad (free high rpm clip job) but that compressor wheel is about to become a clock.

Didn't appear to hurt the engine but I'm going to pull the intercooler down to make sure there aren't any pieces inside it. The dead secondary turbo made no noise so I'm guessing it wasn't doing much. I'm thinking the debris from the compressor wheel came off as fine dust and hopefully blew out of the exhaust. I see no evidence of blow by, nothing in the oil (including fuel), and there was no damage to the turbine blades that would indicate a chunk of aluminum flying through. I'm going to check the IC just in case.

On the flip side, I'm fairly impressed that the primary turbo, running on slightly less than 1/2 the exhaust flow managed to put down those MPHs despite the terrible spool time. I converted over to speed density this weekend before I found the dead turbo and it was making 143kpa max (139-142 on average when it finally did spool) which would be somewhere around 6.25psi of boost. I could hear the wastegate open at ~4k and HPTuners shows the boost peaking near that range as well (~3800-3900). This down from 2400 when I first assembled the system.

With all the problems, 12.80s and 120+ trap speeds feel pretty good at around that boost level. I was making a tad more with the open cutout but my gauge is inaccurate (sits at 1psi with the car off).

I'm going to replace the gauge, install the new turbo, soften the front struts, and put some real tires on the back and see what it could do. I'm hoping for full boost of around 9psi below 2500 from a 4th gear roll on which should let me keep it under boost the whole way down the track.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

damn, add it to the shrine of fucked up parts
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would have taken a special place next to the driveshaft spear or perhaps the 3 piece bellhousing but I threw the shrine away when we moved! Hopefully we won't be starting a new one

Last edited by Speed; 05-21-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to see that.
creeping wheel, ect...scares me into thinkin "is my turbo really ok?" I have it off my car until next weekend. Anything you would recommend checking before I toss it back on? Wheel spins fine, no grinding, but ya never know it seems. Main thing im wondering is if everything is torqued down properly on the housings and wheel. Any tips? and Thanks for the updates
Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about it if you have been using it for a while. Mine could have been something I screwed up on assembly or could have been a mis balanced shaft/wheels, etc.

As long as you have very little movement, either fore/aft or laterally, it's probably just fine.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Banned

Here is one more distraction down. Some Jon A. style aluminum LCAs and PHB I built.

A little polishing action

[/QUOTE]

not to steal your thread but dkt makes those, alot like that

Quick Reply: Building a sequential turbo system