Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Building a sequential turbo system

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i think it looks crap Speed!

.....only kidding i just got bored of saying how great it is and im getting jealous of your engineering skills! lol

sooo are you mounting one turbo high on the passanger side and the other low down on the same side?????? or have i got mixed up???? lol

Chris.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing
Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Launching!

you're next mod should be a better camera
Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

thats what i was thinking
Old 03-31-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn you are amazing!!! as an undergrad mecahnical engineer your skills blow me away, i only hope one day i could takle the project of similar magnitude. Keep up the good work, oh subscribing!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the ego boost guys! At some point in these projects, a little 'ata boy' goes a long ways!

I haven't done much since my last post, just working a few bugs out. The major issue has been excessive oil pushing into the secondary turbo. I thought the 3 gpm pump would have been sufficient and that seemed to be supported by the single turbo applications out there but there is enough flow through both turbos to saturate the pump. Whowouldathunkit.

Anyway, no one in the whole damn city has a -3 nitrous flare to 1/8th inch NPT fitting so I soldered one end of a regular steel fitting closed and drilled a .06 hole in it. It worked very well to slow the oil down but it still has a little bit too much flow. I ordered up some nitrous fittings and jets along with some odds and ends to finish up the cold side for next weekend. Think I am going to just use the MAF for now and switch to speed density when I complete the controller unit. With a little luck, I'll have boost next weekend!

Oh yeah, I know the camera is ghetto. It's my camera phone haha. I don't use a camera much so I never thought about buying one. Guess I need to pick on up at some point.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bryan is this what you need?

Boost logic has one for $10. -3an to 1/8"
edit: i cut the link. probly not allowed to post it, but im sure you know the site.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I had (although the straight version). What I was after was the piece that replaces the flare side with a NOS jet. Like this:

The jet sits on the smaller side and creates the flare.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN! That's alot of work! Looks awsome though i will have to check that thing out when i get my lt1 done.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Im watching

dynomax 2,5 "mandrel" bend sucks big time, i can do better job with pipe bender lol

I thought that you have to have two diferent turbo sizes for sequential?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by iGoRa
I thought that you have to have two diferent turbo sizes for sequential?
no.

Just run all of your exhaust through one small turbo for quick spool, and then a valve diverts it to two turbos for top end flow. So they can be the same size, as was with the MVIV supras.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your getting close, very creative on your set up, im eager to see how it runs. Keep it up.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speed
I love seeing the "subscribing" posts lol. Sometimes I wonder if anyone besides Chris and Tiago is watch this.
There's a few watching........ unless Chris and Tiago have looked 2200 times each
Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crafty888
There's a few watching........ unless Chris and Tiago have looked 2200 times each
DAM you got me agian crafty! works gonna kill me! lol

Chris.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Closer and closer! I installed my oil cooler this weekend and have ordered up the parts for the cold side build. If things go as planned, she'll have boost by this weekend! But it won't be sequential until I finish the electronics. I can test spool and response times by manually setting the valve which will give me some basic data to define in the controller code. That is where the real fun begins.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Speed, off topic but what do you do for a living??? just wondering where you a) get the ***** and b) get the knowlage to do something like this???

glad to see its all moving on. still waiting for a general under hood pick though!

thanks Chris.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiago
no.

Just run all of your exhaust through one small turbo for quick spool, and then a valve diverts it to two turbos for top end flow. So they can be the same size, as was with the MVIV supras.
Did the Supra's have anything to prevent reversion or reverse flow on the compressed air side? Something like a diverter valve? I wouldn't think that it would be necessary but then again, the air has to go somewhere too.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbo_bu
Did the Supra's have anything to prevent reversion or reverse flow on the compressed air side? Something like a diverter valve? I wouldn't think that it would be necessary but then again, the air has to go somewhere too.
Here's a link, it's the best description I've seen of how the Supra system (and other similar ones) work.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/supra/turbo.htm
I don't know how similar this is to Speed's idea...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What do I do for a living? lol, it's a state secret. Kidding, I'm in IT security. It's not really a matter of ***** haha. Though breaking out the sawsall or torch to permanently modify something does have a pucker factor for sure. It's just kind of getting a vision of what you want to do and doing it. Knowledge is just some reading, then application. It's not really rocket science by any means. But then again, rocket science isn't rocket science to a rocket scientist.

With regard to the cold side flow from the secondary turbo, I am building a butter-fly valve that will sit just outside the intercooler to prevent reversion. If the flow were steady, I would just create a low angle merge for the secondary but I'm guessing there will be enough back pressure at the IC inlet to cause some of the boost to stack up and try to reverse out of the secondary turbo. I'll experiment with it tho.

My system shares most of the fundamental operation with the supra system in the link above in that is blocks most of the exhaust off from one turbo and directs it to another to get much greater boost response. My design is actually much simpler and uses some different components so operationally, they are quite different. The devil is in the details. I'm hoping the simplicity of operation parallels well with the integrated electronics to result in a reliable system. Honestly I've already got bugs to work out in the valving but I hope it's an easy fix. Right now, I just need to slow the oil down a bit more so the scavenge pump can keep up. I'm thinking about building an accumulator for the oil so the drain oil want reverse back into the turbos when the pump shuts down. This results in a nice little cloud of which smoke on start up (fun in a parking garage).

It does figure that we've had this beautiful spring weather until the weekend I want to build the cold side. Nice polar vortex dropped us from highs in the 70s-80s to highs in the 40s-50s for the weekend. Not as cold as some of you northern guys but a 40* drop is going to cause some turtling for sure. Oh well, good air to test in.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Teching In

here is a drawing i drew. tell me what you guys think.

www.atpturbo.com sells boost actuated exhaust cutouts , thought that might help.

to make the system work you need springs that are able to take the boost and exhaust pressure without opening before the switch over rpm, also on you need these valves to be alternating in other words close under boost on the small turbo side, and open under boost on the big turbo side.

please tell me what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Building a sequential turbo system-turbo33.jpg   Building a sequential turbo system-turbo-switching-control.jpg  

Quick Reply: Building a sequential turbo system