Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Building a sequential turbo system

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
Here ya go!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll keep plugging away at it. This last weekend didn't get much turbo work done but it did get this...

I did get the scavenge pump a few days ago. I've been working up the merits of an engine feed oil system with a scavenge return or just using the pump to handing oiling duties for the turbocharger system on it's own. What I ultimately decided was to use the pump to provide oiling to both turbochargers and implement a gravity drain into a pan. The pump will be controlled by the turbo controller unit and I am putting a pressure switch to send a low pressure signal to the controller to alert the driver to possible pump failure.

I also decided to go with the twin in-tank fuel pump setup and used the similar code to control the operation of the secondary fuel pump. The neat thing is I can control output from the secondary pump to effectively allow me to meter fuel output electronicly or allow a smooth cut-in of the secondary pump to avoid pressure/flow spikes.

Did you powder coat your rear end or just paint really good?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's just painted. The paint seems to be working fine but if I ever have an excuse to have the car down for a while, I'll probably have it powder coated. Had I had more time, I would have done it before I assembled it.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was involved in making those lower control arms and panhard rod? What material are they made of?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense guys, I know I'm guilty of putting those pics up in the thread but please keep this one turbo related.

Beaflag, I'll see if I can find the links to the parts and PM em to ya. It's basically stock car parts and rod ends. The rods them selves are aluminum.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for the lack of updates. As with anything, I've been working the bugs out. I converted to a 3 bar map SD OS and have been working through the bugs on it. I was really interested to read how far off my boost gauge is. The map is seeing 137-140 kpa (less than 6psi) while the gauge is show over 7. So I honestly can't tell you at what boost the above times were registered.

I was getting a little knock on 91 so I mixed a 60/40 with 101 and it cleared the knock and I ran between 15-18* of timing on that 5.8 or so psi. I still need to play with the VEs some because I'm running ~11.5 afr but around 4800 it starts to lean out and goes to about 12 then back down to 11.5. The car feels very strong for that boost level.

This weekend at the strip, I'm going to try a 80/20 mix of 101 and 118 and see how much boost I can get out of that timing. I don't have any of the electronics done yet so it will be the good ol DIY manual boost controller. I'm going to soften the struts and disconnect that big ST sway bar. Hopefully that and some drag radials will let me get that 60' down and pick up a little mph since i won't be loosing so much spinning down the track. We'll see!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

sounds good. LT1 car version 2.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it can do what the LT1 car did, I'll be happy
Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it rained us out this weekend for the track so I thought I'd spend a little time on the dyno. Filled her up with 101 from the local hotrod fuel at the pump and started playing messing with it. Added the 9psi spring to the gate and put her on the rollers. Made a best of 548/569. Got the AFR tuned in well and it's nice and flat through out the pull. For some reason there is a weird dip in power around 5200 which comes back that I couldn't tune out. There isn't a drop in pressure and there is no obvious tune reason for it so I'll have to keep working on that. Anyway, I was pretty happy with the results overall for being stock minus ls6 valve springs.

One of these days, I'll get to work on finishing up the electronics and get working on the sequential operation which promises to be a can of worms in it's own right
Old 07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick little update. I keep reading a lot of misconceptions about how twins do this and a single does that and so on. Although I already knew the answer, I decided to see how a big single would do vs the twins. Well, lets just say it foookin scoooooooots! In a 4th gear roll on from 1200 rpm, it begins building boost nearly instantly, puts down better than 5psi under 2000rpm and will reach full boost before 2500 rpm. This is through an open down pipe and no air filter. That said, this is easily one of the fastest spooling systems I have ever built/driven/seen. Here is the new bastard son ...

Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

More info on that single ?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick little update. I keep reading a lot of misconceptions about how twins do this and a single does that and so on. Although I already knew the answer, I decided to see how a big single would do vs the twins. Well, lets just say it foookin scoooooooots! In a 4th gear roll on from 1200 rpm, it begins building boost nearly instantly, puts down better than 5psi under 2000rpm and will reach full boost before 2500 rpm. This is through an open down pipe and no air filter. That said, this is easily one of the fastest spooling systems I have ever built/driven/seen. Here is the new bastard son ...

dose this mean you aren't doing the sequentials????

Chris
Old 07-07-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Turbine housing with lower A/R.... will move the boost lower in the rpm range but will somewhat limit power in upper rpms... but its no problem if your turbine housing is already too big for your engine.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulot30th
Turbine housing with lower A/R.... will move the boost lower in the rpm range but will somewhat limit power in upper rpms... but its no problem if your turbine housing is already too big for your engine.
That's true only to a point. The wastegate dumps all the over pressure so there is a much wider range before the turbine housing, and indeed the turbine itself, becomes a restriction. The new t76 has a .69 on-center housing. It only becomes an issue when the turbine housing is so tight, you can't get enough energy through the housing and most of it heads out the wastegate.

Don't worry, I'm not dumping the twin turbo kit. I just now have the ability to switch between twins or a single in about an hour and a half now

Last edited by Speed; 07-08-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump. Did you build a blockoff plate for where the second turbo was sitting and just run it through the same plumbing?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Naaa, just swapped over to the T76. It spooled like a beast so I never did anything more with the sequential system. But I did trap a best of 126 with one dead twin. The parts are sitting in the garage in a box.

I rewrote the code controlling the sequential controller and modified it to provide boost control and a number of other features. I hope to debut the new system controller next year. For now, the SS is getting a little love over the colder months.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, forgot about this thread.

Love over the colder months ended up with a machine shop taking 2.5 months to hone the block and balance the rotating assembly for a boost motor I was building. Whole ordeal irritated me enough that I punted and picked up a C5. Infact I put the SS back to stock and just sold it yesterday.

Got all the parts for the twin turbo c5 build now. But I've got so much **** going on I barely have the time to change my own oil........

Boost controller code and all the other little toy functions worked perfectly on the bench but never got put into the works. Once I get the C5 to where I want it perhaps.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

what TT kit have you gone with Speed??

Chris.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Building my own.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Building my own.
owwwww that could be very nice!

is it going to be like the PTK stuff?? i hear you can get copies of the Ebay for about $1K and its in stainless (PTK did it in mild).

bit off topic but have you seen this thread..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-sts-kits.html

wondered what you opinions are (see post 12).

Cheers

Chris.

Quick Reply: Building a sequential turbo system